Rear hatch cracking

Geaux Time

I am starting to get a bad crack in the starboard rear hatch where I keep my batteries. It seems like the area is just thick plastic and not fibergl***. I'm guessing it's just going to get worse and eventually split all the way forward due to the weight of the battery. The trolling motor battery sits forward of the main cranking battery. What should I use to repair it, or at least keep it from getting worse?

I had my forward battery box start cracking a few years ago. Held it off for a while by drilling small 1/8 inch holes at the ends of the crack to dissipate the stress. Eventually it continued to crack. Last ditch effort was to repair it with marine Tex which cracked immediately an actually made it worse by making additional stress points. I ended up with a new battery box fabbed from aluminum. In my case the box is adrop in; not sure you can do that in the rear hatch. Suggest you try to spread the load of the battery over as large an area as possible. Maybe with a battery tray on top of a sheet of starboard. Spread out the stress or move it somewhere else away from the crack.

Archived