Yamaha 90: 19" aluminum prop

cruise 26 knots

wot 40 knots

Yamaha 70: 17" s/s prop

cruise 21 knots

wot 32 knots

full tank 2 adults calm seas

hope this helps people looking at the f70

Good info Derek! I could never see how a F70 would come close to the 2S 90 hp in performance. Now the big question, how well does the 70 get on plane? My '98 Bonefisher with the 90 had issues getting on plane with me and my buddy's big fat rear ends setting so close to the transom.

To be fair, I know a friend who has a Hells Bay with a F70, I think a 17', which is very light and is loaded to the bare minimum, very light for fishing that does a good job with two regular size people. Don't know the weight difference versus a Bonefisher, however it's quite significant.

I have a 1999 hewes bonefisher that i repowered the 2 stroke 90 with an f70 and have been running the new motor for over 1 year. I don't notice much top end difference and the hole shot slightly slower (not enough to matter). If I really need to plane quickly i put my fishing mate in the bow. Biggest difference the f70 sips gas.

• 1 month later...

Hey MG,

Do you recall the price point on that f70? I have a 2000 Bayfisher with a 99' 2 stroke yami. I'd really like to repower to a 4 stroke. Seems every time I turn around the 2 stroke needs some type of repair. Just don't know if it's worth it cost wise since I wouldn't be doing the switch myself.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
On 2/25/2016 at 1:00 AM, Mardi-Gras said:

For those who want to know...

Helped a buddy repower his 1991 Bonefisher 16,

Originally had Yamaha 90 hp 2 stroke

repowered with Yamaha F70 lightweight

Yamaha 90: 19" aluminum prop

cruise 26 knots

wot 40 knots

Yamaha 70: 17" s/s prop

cruise 21 knots

wot 32 knots

full tank 2 adults calm seas

hope this helps people looking at the f70

Any way you can post a picture. I would like to see how a 70 looks on that boat. Thanks

• 5 weeks later...

Has anyone considered going up in power?  On my 1994 Bonefisher 16, I have a 2004 Yamaha 90 2 stroke (261lb).  I am considering moving to a 90 or jumping to a 115 Suzuki.

90 Suzuki - 341

115 Suzuki - 401

140 Suzuki - 396

I can move my cranking battery to the console, which moves about 50 lbs forward to offset the 80-150 lbs of increased weight in the ***.  I am not trying to be a shallow water boat.  Has anyone hung a 400lb motor on a 16 bonefisher?

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

The Suzuki 90 runs way better even than I expected.  I'm cruising at 25kts and WOT @ 6000rpms is 32kts.  The biggest difference is the hole shot.  The boat launches out of the water.  Last week, I had 5 people on board with dive gear for two and noticed very little drop off in performance getting out of the hole and just about 2kts less on top end.  When cruising at 25kts, the boat surges forward with more throttle.  It's hard to explain the performance difference without feeling it for yourself.  I'm glad I went with the 90 instead of trying to go up to 115.  

• 2 weeks later...

I am a little slow to reply to this topic.   I am a long time member who has been off the forum for a while.  I love the color of your boat, the custom graphics/hewes decal and old school guide console.  Looks great!  I think there is a rule against putting a Bimini top on a Hewes however. :) LOL  Just Gin am I reading your posts correctly, that you lost 8 mph going from a 90hp 2 stroke to a 90 4 stroke?  Is there more to this story?  I have a 115 Etec on my Bonefisher.  The motor is 371 pounds.  I am very happy with it.  It squats a little, but not as much you might think.  I have shifted some weight around.  I am seeing low 40's fully loaded with two big anglers propped for holeshot/mid-range torque, which is fantastic.

• 1 year later...
On 8/15/2016 at 3:01 PM, Just Gin said:

The Suzuki 90 runs way better even than I expected.  I'm cruising at 25kts and WOT @ 6000rpms is 32kts.  The biggest difference is the hole shot.  The boat launches out of the water.  Last week, I had 5 people on board with dive gear for two and noticed very little drop off in performance getting out of the hole and just about 2kts less on top end.  When cruising at 25kts, the boat surges forward with more throttle.  It's hard to explain the performance difference without feeling it for yourself.  I'm glad I went with the 90 instead of trying to go up to 115.  

What size prop do you have on that Suzuki?  

I just re-powered my 93 Bonefisher 16 with the new Yamaha VF90 SHO.  I got a Merc Spitfire X7 stainless 4 blade prop.  19 pitch with 12.7 diameter.  

The boat is still in the restoration process and will have the motor on next week.  Should be in the water a week or two after that.

10 hours ago, leftcoastangler said:

What size prop do you have on that Suzuki?  

I just re-powered my 93 Bonefisher 16 with the new Yamaha VF90 SHO.  I got a Merc Spitfire X7 stainless 4 blade prop.  19 pitch with 12.7 diameter.  

The boat is still in the restoration process and will have the motor on next week.  Should be in the water a week or two after that.

I'm pretty sure you're going to find out the Spitfire X7 19p is too tall.  The VF90 may not be able to twist it to its maximum recommended RPM.  If it's not too late to trade out, I would try a Spitfire X7 13 x 17p instead.  That's what I run on my Redfisher 16 with a VF115.  However, I think the 93 Bonefisher 16 is lighter than my Redfisher 16.  If you want to stay with a 19 pitch prop for speed, you could try a Yamaha Talon SS 3-blade, which is about 3 mph faster than the Spitfire X7 17p @ WOT (same RPMs).  But, for smooth balance, outstanding hole-shot, load carrying ability and awesome grip in turns - the Spitfire X7 wins.  Hope this helps.

• 4 years later...

Just logged in after some time off this forum (not for any reason).  I found this topic again.  

Still have the 90 Suzuki, and I still love it.  I am not sure what prop I am spinning, as it is not marked, but I really don't care.  The performance of the boat up to about 30mph is outstanding.  

Since this thread, I redid my fuel tank, which wasn't leaking but wasn't holding pressure.