Seating with small kids

swaddict

I have two tempress seats on my aft deck and when I installed them I had my 4 & 5 year old sit in them so I got the leg length right. Their feet can touch the deck and the seats secure them well. If its rough I either put them on the leaning post or the cooler in front of the console. I like having eyes on them at all times.

I had small handrails added to both sides (aft of course) and mounted tempress seats right beside each one where the original post seat brackets were. They allowed the kids to sit in the seat, hold onto the rails and almost touch the floor when they were smaller.

the hand rail is a good idea

I have two tempress seats on my aft deck and when I installed them I had my 4 & 5 year old sit in them so I got the leg length right. Their feet can touch the deck and the seats secure them well. If its rough I either put them on the leaning post or the cooler in front of the console. I like having eyes on them at all times.

could you post a pic of the mounting locations, my 2 are similar in ages

I used to have one kid next to me, sitting on the leaning post and the wife and other two would sit behind the leaning post and hang on to the rail that the rod holders were welded on. I also had three cushions made to fit the back deck (the middle cushion was attached to the bait well lid so could still open and close the bait well).

They actually preferred this location as I would act as a wind (and spray) breaker for them.

Once they got a little bigger, I bought a marine bean bag seat and would wedge it in the aft corner on the cockpit floor. That turned out to be the most comfortable ride on the boat!

I used to have one kid next to me, sitting on the leaning post and the wife and other two would sit behind the leaning post and hang on to the rail that the rod holders were welded on. I also had three cushions made to fit the back deck (the middle cushion was attached to the bait well lid so could still open and close the bait well).

They actually preferred this location as I would act as a wind (and spray) breaker for them.

Once they got a little bigger, I bought a marine bean bag seat and would wedge it in the aft corner on the cockpit floor. That turned out to be the most comfortable ride on the boat!

the bean bag will definitely be an addition, I'm also considering the cushion route. Did you get the thin or thick cushions?

I had the cushions made to match the cushion on the front cooler - IIRC they were about 2 to 3" thick with high density foam and the ribbed white vinyl material.

They were wide enough to go from the rear deck edge aft to just in front of the rear hatches. Also made a nice place to lie down when the boat was not moving.

Personally I would not run with kids seated behind me - they have to be forward of the console so I can watch at all times.

I installed 12" grab rails on the gunwale towards the front of the rod lockers. One side is a pain in the neck to install (believe it's the port side) as the access to the mounting bolt is very tight. The starboard side is easy.

Archived