2003 Hewes Refisher 16

Chuck59

I own a 2003 Redfisher 16 and have a question about cavitation. The boat is powered by a 2003 Yamaha 90 2 stroke. When I turn, the prop spins and it feels like I have an air pocket until I straighten up. This happens at any speed once I'm on plane. Any thoughts on how to remedy this? Should I try a different prop? My prop is the Yamaha stainless prop that came with the motor.(I ***ume. I am the second owner).

My second question involves a 2001 Redfisher 16. A friend of mine owns the boat, and he asked me to write and see if anyone has experienced a mystery water leak. he has removed and resealed the engine mount, trim tabs and "cheese grater"/ The leak persists. Any comments or thoughts would be appreciated.

Thanks

If your friend is close try swapping props and retest each boat. Some props are better than others at gripping while turning.

On the mystery leak look at the suppers on either side of the hull. They have a PVC pipe inserted in the hole that is sealed with silicone sealant. Over time the sealant dries up or shrinks and water seeps in and slowly fills the bilge area.

I have a new to me 2002 Redfisher, and I tried this recently with silicone caulk. Still having some issues, as I see water in the bilge, and sometimes leaking in around the plugs in the scuppers.

When you say cracks, do you mean the gaps around the PVC inserts? As when I did it last time I pulled them out and smeared silicone on the outside of PVC, then slid back in. Should I just be focusing on the gap between insert and boat? I appreciate the help - Nehrke

Happy Made-It-Through-Monday, Chuckles!!!!! ;):P

We've been runnin' 4-blade semi-cleavers on that little rig for a number of years with excellent success, Chuck. It offers great grip, holeshot, and handling, while still retaining a decent turn o' speed. What's not t'love?!?!?!?! ;) :laugh:

I'd be deeeeelighted to chat with you about proppin' 16 Reds, if you'd like, m'friend!!! :content: Just call me any ol' time, dudeski.

I sure enjoyed that Miami skyline, gals'n'guys!!!! It surrrrre was purty!!!! It made that lonnnnng water taxi wait almost palatable!!!!:P:D

Have a teeeeeeeeeeeeerrific evenin', everybody!!!

Marcus

The Back-From-Miami-Half of the Hydrodynamic Duo :cool:

Oh, yeah, 318-688-1970, ext. 241. :blush:

I have a new to me 2002 Redfisher, and I tried this recently with silicone caulk. Still having some issues, as I see water in the bilge, and sometimes leaking in around the plugs in the scuppers.

When you say cracks, do you mean the gaps around the PVC inserts? As when I did it last time I pulled them out and smeared silicone on the outside of PVC, then slid back in. Should I just be focusing on the gap between insert and boat? I appreciate the help - Nehrke

First mistake was using silicone.

4200 or even 4000 UV is better than silicone when dealing with these types of issues.

Remove, clean thoroughly and apply 4000 or 4200.

Problem solved.

5200 is overkill and permanent short of a glowing putty knife or a torch.

Archived