Older angler

Brian D

Hi guys!

I'm a retired angler (67), new to the forum & considering purchase of first flats boat -2000 Hewes 16 Redfisher. Absolute newby to flats fishing & poling, so I'm wondering how much physical fitness needed to pole this boat all day. Would appreciate hearing from some older guys on this subject. (Reasonable physical condition, office worker 15-20lbs heavy, but never been a jock.)

Brian D

If you are officially retired then exercise would be good for you, and you'll get it poling that boat :content: . It can be done if you follow a few pointers that will be given from the forum memebers. For instance - distribute wieght properly in the boat, keep the wind at your back, eat your Wheaties!

Welcome, best of luck and enjoy!!

• 2 weeks later...

Id get both, and my bet is you will use the trolling motor mostly. If its hot, you can get heated by poling a canoe.

Also, depending on back, knee, etc (arthritis, etc) getting up on the platform of a redfisher may be difficult. The redfisher platforms arent super easy to get on so you may want one modified so its easier. Just something to think about

I don't have a trolling motor on my boat and it doesn't bother me most of the time. The only problem I have is having an angler on the front that can see fish, follow directions and hit the spot with a bait.

I fish live bait and getting a rod baited, putting the pole down while on the platform is something I haven't mastered yet.

If you fish by your self I would invest in a trolling motor.

"distribute wieght properly in the boat, keep the wind at your back"

Ditto with the wind if possible. Plus when not standing on it a poling platform is great for sitting your beer with koozie and when nature calls to lean on so you don't fall off the boat while taking a pee!! :)

I'll be 67 next month and bought my first flats boat, a Maverick 18 HPX, 2 yrs ago at age 65. I'm in reasonably good shape,I run 2 miles a day.

It takes awhile to get the poling technique down. In the beginning you may get frustrated and over exert yourself. There is a tendency to push/pole too hard and too often,when you first start. Once you get it, you will find it's not too strenuous especially if you use the wind correctly. However no matter what shape you are in I wouldn't count on being able to pole all day!

Hi guys!

I'm a retired angler (67), new to the forum & considering purchase of first flats boat -2000 Hewes 16 Redfisher. Absolute newby to flats fishing & poling, so I'm wondering how much physical fitness needed to pole this boat all day. Would appreciate hearing from some older guys on this subject. (Reasonable physical condition, office worker 15-20lbs heavy, but never been a jock.)

Brian D

If you have never been on a tower...IMHO @ 67, it's not the time to start..no matter the fitness...

It's not the poling...it's the falling off the tower, nearly hitting your head on the skeg, landing face up in mud, then having that "WTF" look on your face....

Ask me how I know this ??? I'm 59.....

Go Ulterra trolling motor....don't look back :)

DC

I'm an old timer,have a hpx 15fter with trolling motor and pole some of the time, but I had a cheater post made for the boat that lets me lean the small of my back against it for security and safety. You feel really comfortable knowing it is there. Takes some time to get use to ,but worthwhile.

• 4 weeks later...

To really fish the shallow areas of the 10K you need to go motor up and pole the 1 ft areas. Makes fishing pretty challenging,but if you want the snook ,that is where they hang out in the winter.

I don't pole that much now at 73,but I do it when I want to get to certain spots. Trolling motor is much easier.

Brian D.....As others have said, go with a trolling motor and pole when you want to / have to. I would recommend one step further: get a trolling motor with a wireless remote. I like to be up on the poling platform and using the trolling motor remotely, giving me much better visibility for spotting the fish.

I have a 2002 RF-16 and do pole it fairly often, but it takes a good bit of balance, coordination and power / strength to pole. It is especially tiring if you are poling in a soft sticky bottom where not only are you exerting energy pushing the boat, but also pulling the pole out of the bottom every stroke.

It can be difficult to climb on and off the poling platform. Here are some pics from a forum post years ago. One of these days I am going to put it on my boat.

1458407840-boatstep.jpg.1264aa4e09f7b167

1458407851-boatstep2.jpg.c99b1db823eba9e

1458407860-boatstep3.jpg.92e57a36e8cc961

1458407872-boatstep5.jpg.f34a891cc9ee143

Two words for ya: trolling motor! I pole when necessary but use the TM most of the time. And still manage to catch a few fish. The platform is a great spot from which to cast and control the TM, though. Once you get used to being up there, that is. I am mid 50s and fit. Haven't fallen off... yet.

Archived