Fuel hose

imsnookyrd

The rating system exclusively for marine hose is known as SAE J1527 and it provides for grades as follows:

A1--fuel feed hose; has a fire resistant cover; is designed to have fuel in the hose at all times. Least permeable with highest fire resistance.

A2--fuel vent hose; has a fire resistant cover; is not designed to have fuel in the hose at all times.

B1--fuel feed hose; without fire resistant cover; is designed to have fuel in the hose at all times; intended for non-enclosed spaces. Diesel engines or above deck outboard gasoline applications.

B2--fuel vent hose; without fire resistant cover; is not designed to have fuel in the hose at all times. Diesel vent lines.

If you are building a boat or replacing a deteriorated fuel system, buying 1 coil of A1 hose is often the most useful and safest way to go with less leftover hose in the end.

Thanks Troy, that was what I was thinking but wasn't sure. Will go with the what you suggested, I'm just doing some winter time work on the old Pathy, re-wired everything and re-plumbed and changed out the plastic thru hulls now moving on to the fuel system. Thanks again you are always a wealth of information.

The rating system exclusively for marine hose is known as SAE J1527 and it provides for grades as follows:

A1--fuel feed hose; has a fire resistant cover; is designed to have fuel in the hose at all times. Least permeable with highest fire resistance.

A2--fuel vent hose; has a fire resistant cover; is not designed to have fuel in the hose at all times.

B1--fuel feed hose; without fire resistant cover; is designed to have fuel in the hose at all times; intended for non-enclosed spaces. Diesel engines or above deck outboard gasoline applications.

B2--fuel vent hose; without fire resistant cover; is not designed to have fuel in the hose at all times. Diesel vent lines.

If you are building a boat or replacing a deteriorated fuel system, buying 1 coil of A1 hose is often the most useful and safest way to go with less leftover hose in the end.

Check your pricing in the region....

I am doing a rewire and fuel line system....

My local Yamiedog - Boat Center - $2.83 / ft

Boat Owners Warehouse - $3.23

West Marine - $5.99 / ft

I needed it on Sunday and BOW was closed but, WM met the price.....

Yes, I bought A1.

dc

This is for you guys that at times smell gas fumes in your hatches.

I have found on a few boats that I have worked on that the vent hose would have a loop or low spot in the hose. This would allow the vent line to have some fuel laying in the bottom of it especially right after filling a tank. The nature of the A-2 to be more permeable would allow fumes to get into the fuel tank surrounding compartments.

Most likely not enough vapor to be a real hazard but just noticeable enough to drive me nuts looking for the source.

Anytime I mess with a fuel system all lines get changed to A-1.

Archived