NEW PICS FINAL: 17T RUB-RAIL REMOVAL AND RE-INSTALL

Wanaflatsfish

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Finished the RUB RAIL RE-INSTALL.

My buddy came over and it took us about 2.5 hours from start to finish..

I laid a bead of 4200 black over all the hole for the rub rail outer fitting....

Then we laid it up and screwed it back on...took about 1 hr to do it slowly and insure alignment.

After, we took out the heat gun and the two of us walked along the gunnels, two inches at a time. I had gloves and spatula and he heated the plastic....after each foot or so, I banged it in with a rubber hammer....

Here are the pics...needs lots of cleaning up, but, now I'm 100% sure, there will be no intrusion from under the gunnels...see the pic of the bead of 5200 I laid between the cap and the hull...

NOTE: IT'S NOT SUFFICIENT TO ONLY LAY A BEAD OF 4200 OVER THE OLD SILICONE OR RUBRAIL....TO INSURE NO INTRUSION, THE RUB RAIL REALLY NEEDS TO COME OFF AND YOU NEED TO CLEAN THE OLD OUT AND THEN RE-CAULK...WHEN I TOOK OFF THE RUB RAIL, I SAW THE GAPS.

ON THE SMALLER HPX T'S AND THE 17T'S THAT SIT SO LOW, WHEN RUNNING, THERE IS A HUGE AMOUNT OF PRESSURE FROM THE SPRAY PUSH UP ON THE GUNNELS...SO, I BELIEVE THE INTRUSION CAN BE COMING FROM THIS.....CAPT DONH'S HPXT HAD THE MYSTERY LEAK...WE NEVER TOOK OFF THE ENTIRE RUBRAIL...BUT, I THINK IF WE DID, WE'D HAVE FOUND SIMILIAR TO WHAT I SEE.

OVERALL - START TO FINISH - ABOUT 4-5 HOURS OF WORK.

SKILL LEVEL - 5 ON 10 SCALE

KEY LEARNINGS - BUY LOTS OF LATEX GLOVES AND RAGS, ACETONE, AND OLD SHIRTS....LONG SLEEEVE AS THE 5200 GOES EVERYHWERE....

TWO MAN JOB ON THE INSTALL.

TOOLS: HEAT GUN, DRILL WITH PHILLIPS BIT, CAULKING GUN

TOTAL CAULK - TWO TUBES 5200 WHITE UNDER GUNNELS, ONE TUBE OF BLACK TO FILL IN

I WILL BE FINALIZING THE UNDER BEAD AFTER I LAY A LINE OF PAINTING TAPE...IT WILL ALLOW ME TO LAY A NICE LINE OF BLACK 4200 TO CLEAN THE LOOK.

[image]25009610083_1e866d6711_b.jpgIMG_0698 by Dino Cardelli, on Flickr[/image]

25543661321_b6cf03e7d8_z.jpgIMG_0706 by Dino Cardelli, on Flickr

[image]25340687910_389d2a3147_b.jpgIMG_0710 by Dino Cardelli, on Flickr[/image]

here is a tip for putting the rubber insert back in.

Get a large bucket and coil the insert in the bucket. Get some really hot water and fill the bucket. Once the insert gets warm you can work it and push it into the rail easily with a stiff putty knife. It also allows you to stretch and work it around corners. Slide it out of the bucket as you work around the boat moving the bucket with you.

here is a tip for putting the rubber insert back in.

Get a large bucket and coil the insert in the bucket. Get some really hot water and fill the bucket. Once the insert gets warm you can work it and push it into the rail easily with a stiff putty knife. It also allows you to stretch and work it around corners. Slide it out of the bucket as you work around the boat moving the bucket with you.

NOW you tell me :)

good tip for others....

the heat gun and putty knife works..it a bit slow...but, wasn't too bad....

dc

Archived