KeeKee Run

I am a new member to the site. I have a 1992 18 master angler with a 130 Yamaha. I have owned this vessel since 2000 and absolutely love it. I have had several boats ranging in size but this has been my favorite. It has fallen in disrepair. It needs a new motor, jack plate, steering, fuel tank, wiring, gelcoat and other misc. items. I have recently moved from Key Largo to central Fl (between Ocala and Crystal River) and do not have any contacts, suppliers, dealers or fibergl*** repair in the a mediate area that I know of. I'm looking suggestions or opinions on the repair items, where to go, who does good work in the area. Or should I get rid of it and look for a newer boat. I know its a big topic but any feedback would be appreciated.

I was hoping to get by with 15-18. Low hour 150 VMax 6-7k, Jack plate 1k, steering 1k, rigging 1500. I really have no idea what to expect on the tank replacement, the wiring and gelcoat/painting. I have started developing very fine spider cracks in the gelcoat on the deck. I'm ***uming that this is from age and that I would not be able to get away with just painting???

Thats quite a List honestly. I am sure if you are not in a time crunch you can find some deals out there. I have seen clean VMax's for under 5k. The 130 you have is a great motor and if still running can probly net you 2-3K on resell. Why are you looking at jackplates? Most of these MA's run pretty good without and curious if there is a need. A good friend of mine does Fibergl*** and is currently restoring his 94 Lappy, ill ask what the gel=coat/tank would cost but I think that it will be more then 6K for that alone.

You will spend 10K quick on a boat that even after the work is only worth 10-12K.

I have seen clean 10 year newer boats for sale without all the work needed for 12-14K. You might want to just Try to sell and buy a newer/used boat. You can just search the forum and talk to someone that has restored one of the older models. Ask them if it was worth it.

Good Luck. Show us some pics if you get around to it.

Thank you for your input, very helpful. I have gotten a lot of pleasure from my 130. It runs ok but lost 1000 rpm this year. I have not done a compression test but suspect low compression. the steering head is almost rusted through. It has gotten very difficult to steer. The motor is very stiff on the pivot shaft. I always though I would eventually upgrade to 150 for a little more power. I've gotten by this long without a Jack plate but thought I would get better performance and versatility? Do you think it could negatively effect the ride by pushing the weight of motor further back?

I am very indecisive about what direction to go. refurbish or buy newer. I would die a happy man if I had a boat just like mine but in new condition and dependable. I could spend a lot of money just to buy someone else's problems or a buy a boat and not like the ride. And of course there is always the issue of the amount of work to get it done. Will I be able to get good quality work done. I don't want to spend the money and be disappointed with the refurb, motor, fibergl*** or gelcoat problems.

1451915351-BB22.jpg.2e64529e958246a3face

jack plate will definitely not improve either speed or or fuel efficiency (at least on my MA). It may be the way mine is set up, but I get the best speed/fuel efficiency with my jack plate all the way down and the trim up as high as I can get without cavitation. It's more important to get as much hull out of the water as possible than to get as much engine out of the water. As for jumping on plane in shallow water, that is a nice benefit, and it does allow you to run shallower.

I like my Jack Plate, use it a lot when I'm down in Florida. Up here, it rarely gets used.

Archived