1978 18' Maverick / berg

billythekid

alright here are some more rigging pics,  they are going kinda of slow as we were still bringing in parts that were needed , but now things are going along nice and smooth ,  all the componenents have been mounted and now just running wires all over the place and plumbing hoses to the livewells.  you can see the titled element transducer that was installed in the bilge

the last pic is something I have been working on for a little while.  I know tackle storage is a problem in flats boats from everything getting wet.  I ordered 12 of  guide series waterproof tackle containers from Plano and went to work with about $250 worth of 1/4" starboard and 1/2"  .  The 1/4" starboard was a pain in the *** to keep straight and get the #6 screws in and countersunk.   There are dividers between all the tackle boxes made up of 1/2" starboard made into tracks.  there are 6 deep boxs and 6 shallow.    I also incorporated  a couple of slots for pliers and scissors, then I took some scrap starboard and made my own leader dispenser with 1/2" stainless threaded rod to hold the spools. I also took one of the push pins and secured the leader dispenser from moving.     

the hatch opening in the boat from front to back is 16 1/4" and this tackle storage was built at 16" to accommodate 3 deep boxes and 2 shallow boxes maximizing our already tight space.  the boxes have an 3/16" play front to back and side to side. The side compartments I made wide enough to accommodate 2 more plano stoarge containers if needed.  We are going to add some seadeak to the bottom of it to keep it from scraping the storage box. 

19464.jpeg

41197.jpeg

41198.jpeg

45398.jpeg

41196.jpeg

40341.jpeg

6 hours ago, whichwaysup said:

Billy, VERY curious about the tackle storage.  Whereally is it going to go??

its going in the hatch you sit on while you drive 

3 hours ago, LI Flats said:

Looks so, so good. I put grab rails in the same spot on my boat. They work great and don't get in the way, only other thing I want to do is add a bar around the console.

we are  there are two on the console and two going on the side of the gunnel  all powder coated satin black.

its gettting there.....   some more pics tomorrow,  rigging is moving right along, we decided to add a fusion radio with the new wired nrx300 remote. so all that will be there at the end of the week for them to start installing.  more parts are back from powder coating.  rubrail is also there. 

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Ok, question.  The 2 3" hoses going from under the floor to the rear exit, are those for the floor drains and obviously they have check balls in them.  Also, early in the post you mention air vacuuming the floor so that the core was complete sealed.  Did you mean that you glassed it in on the sides to seal it or you actually wrapped the floor with a huge bag and vacuum sealed it.  I know these questions sound stupid but I am getting ready to purchase a 91 MA 18.5 and will be doing the same thing.  Complete restore.  Also, do you have any pics with the latest black hardware.  I would love to see that.....

yes the floor drains themselves are from gemlux and they have the check ball built into them .  correct about the vacuum bagging process, thay basically lay a layer of plastic with a sticky bead of tack around the outside and they laminate the materials then lay the plastic over it and pull out the excess and give the perfect layup. there are many different type of vacuum bagging, this is the basic way.   If you are new to fiberglass its not worth the headache and the possibility of messing up the entire floor.  easier to just laminate and roll it out. Pics of the hardware will be here shortly, everything got put on hold for about to weeks since the hurricane

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

unfortunatley the boat didnt make it in the water when I was down there from an unexpected fuel leak that was resolved(chain that holds the fuel cap was leaking)   figured out what is was but by the time it was fixed I was home.  everyhinf in functioning on the boat now with the exception of the vhf radio which is getting installed in the next few days.

IMG_20171106_181205531.jpg

IMG_20171106_182650713_HDR.jpg

IMG_20171106_182654541_HDR.jpg

IMG_20171106_182707347_TOP.jpg

IMG_20171106_201017918_TOP.jpg

IMG_20171106_201024307.jpg

IMG_20171106_201424143.jpg