1978 18' Maverick / berg

billythekid

Once the Deck was cut it was vacuum bagged on both sides to completely seal the coring.  again 1708 and 1.5 oz mat were used on both sides. the finished side has more layers for the impact and strength. 

once they were done It was fitted into the boat and now is awaiting to be bonded to the stringers. 

Randy at Durite boatworks in Stuart ,FL  is knocking it out of the park on this boat.  He has 4 other flats boats in the shop in multiple staged of restoration.  

This is really really impressive.  

Billy, I'm trying to run down that prop size for you - stay tuned.  BTW, I may reach out for some specifics to help with the boat history work we're doing - stay tuned.

Wonder if the guys who originally built this boat ever thought that nearly 40 years later, it would not only still be floating, but would be given another 40 year lease on life?

alright so layout has began, new bulkheads for both sides of the gas tank were built out of 1708, core mat and mat.  the rear boxes and top cap were all sanded down and any imperfections were ground out filled with glass and faired. Also we have nixed the budget console I got and decided to built a custom one off that will really be nice on the boat.  here is a couple boring pics of everything sanded  down and a pic of what the layout is gonna look like

IMG_20170213_112405689.jpg

IMG_20170213_112348815.jpg

IMG_20170213_105438884_HDR.jpg

IMG_20170213_105421865_HDR.jpg

IMG_20170213_105415195.jpg

IMG_20170213_105407633_HDR.jpg

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

alright after a slow period of the some projects that were in front of mine the progress has picked back up again.     floor has been bedded and glassed down to the stringers and tabbed all the way around .  before this was done the was a small ledger around the outside added for the deck to be supoorted. and some airtight bulkheads added underneather the floor. There was a 3" rigging tube sent from the bilge to the bow compartment for the fuel line bow light and some other wires. there was a 3" rigging tube sent from the under the console to the bilge also.  

31914 - Copy.jpeg

31913 - Copy.jpeg

31915 - Copy.jpeg

41014.jpeg

41697 - Copy.jpeg

41004.jpeg

41005.jpeg

• Like 3

alright once the floor was glassed down they started working on the outside of the hull as now they could lift it and sand and fair the bottom out with epoxy fillers, I dont have any pics of the sanding as they get boring anyway, but I do I have some pics of the final product.  you can see in the pics how tight Randy kept the strakes on the bottom as It is important to the ride and turning of the boat not to "round over the strakes"    They are tight and straight. outside of the hull was painted with Mattehorn White Awlgrip.

40983.jpeg

40982.jpeg

40981 - Copy.jpeg

• Like 4

So alot of parts have to come together as everything has been grinded , glassed , faired, sanded and primed for the most part. There was alot of air bubbles in the channels of the boxes with I opted to have him grind it all out and fair back in so I dont get any cracking through out.  The gas tank has been primed and epoxy painted, not waiting on the install.  the back boxes have all been faired sanded and partially primed

41814.jpeg

IMG_20170413_161235182 - Copy.jpg

41816.jpeg

41011.jpeg

41012.jpeg

• Like 2

Now we retooled the livewells in the rear as they used to just fill with natural bouyance .  we rounded out all the vertical corners to keep the baits for nosing into them  He built in glass tube for a fill and a 3" glass tube in a corner that will have 20 or so 3/8" holes in the top to drain the well.  We are installed the pump out the rear transom so it will not *** grass in and going to have a clam shell on the bottom to naturall fill when running. 

the wells are approx 18 gallons on each side.

the second Pick shows the floor drains taped off as we are going to use the gemlux floor drains with float ball in them instead of the drains going out the sides and flooding the boat when it stops. THese are in the rear where we left the rear floor which is lower , we extended it out 2" past where it was to act as a channel to the floor drains.

IMG_20170413_162652454_TOP.jpg

IMG_20170413_162717638.jpg

• Like 1

So onto the Console,  We couldnt find anything we liked until we saw a console Randy was hiding from us as he knew we were gonna want that exact one and not have to wait for one! He has the patterns for we what we think was a perfectly balanced console with modern thoughts on what we install in them now.    the console has room for our 12" Garmin touch screen , steering, binnacle mount and our custom panel that Mike from International Marine is making for us.  The Console will have a 4" toe recess all the way around and a 8 gallon Fully insulated drink box in the seat.  

We started out with the one he had already built for a Chaos he was working on but the console was to narrow.  We came up with some new measurements and off  Randy and Noehy Went to work  

output.jpg

IMG_5326.jpg

IMG_5328.jpg

40996.jpeg

41693.jpeg

41692.jpeg

41815.jpeg

• Like 2

Awesome rebuild!  Unless the name of the shop was posted and I missed it, I've got to know the details of who did this work.  The quality craftmanship and attention to detail are wonderful!  You can PM me if the shop owner doesn't need to be swamped with calls, haha.  Thanks.

13 minutes ago, geeviam said:

Awesome rebuild!  Unless the name of the shop was posted and I missed it, I've got to know the details of who did this work.  The quality craftmanship and attention to detail are wonderful!  You can PM me if the shop owner doesn't need to be swamped with calls, haha.  Thanks.

the work is being done at  Durite boatworks in Stuart, FL   Randy is the owner f the business and has done some amazing projects through his 30 years of fiberglass career. 

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

everything else has kept moving,  console is ready for paint and has been glassed to the floor,   the final dry fit has taken place and waiting for the rod tubes which should be there tomorrow.   The reassembly of the boat has taken quit a bit of time because of the original construction.  Randy has it back though and its ready to get back into one piece

you can see in the fifth pic how the gunnel capand the rear boxes all intertwine with each other and getting everything to the proper height

livewells and all the boxes have been finished and painted. 

42707.jpeg

42708.jpeg

42709.jpeg

43151.jpeg

43152.jpeg

43153.jpeg

43154.jpeg

43155.jpeg

• Like 1