Conflicted - Repower Or Buy New?

Mike45q

The 2003 Yami 200 HPDI with 1500 hours on my 2003 Pathfinder is starting to make some strange noises and I am conflicted as to what to do. So I need to ask for advise from some of the collective wisdom on the forum. The boat it self is in good shape but it does have some cosmetic blemishes. I have all the goodies, Power Pole, Trolling Motor, tee top, jack plate and new boat similarly equipped would be $60,000 grand less an estimated $10,000 trade-in.

A new 200 SHO VMAX would be under $20,000 including new cables, harness etc but does it make sense to spend. $20 grand on a 13 year old boat.

'BTW I am 70 so I don't know how many more boating years I have left.

Any Advise would be appreciated.

Thanks In Advance

Conflicted Mike

Ill simply state to through what makes sense out the window.... if you can afford it and want a new boat buy one and enjoy it. There are a lot of nice features the new boats have that yours doesn't. Otherwise if money might be an issue 1st Id send it to the shop and have them go thru the current motor and see what if any repair would cost then decide whether to spend it on the repair or re-power

I would definitely have your current motor checked out first. Personally, I don't know that I would invest in a new motor for a 2003 boat. You might consider a used motor with low hours. I'm sure there are some out there.

If you decide on a new boat, I would suggest selling your boat rather than trading it. You will not have a problem selling it and should be able to get more for it than what a dealer will give you.

Good luck with whatever you decide to do....

I would check out my motor and see the cost to get it in top condition. I would either repair and sell with a clear conscience and buy a late model used\new or trade in as is on a new boat. Whichever made the most sense. Either way, I would upgrade and enjoy a new pathfinder.

Jp

To have your existing motor rebuilt your looking around $8K.

New 200SHO, I'm guessing totally rigged you would be looking around $17,500 installed and rigged.

If your happy with the way your existing motor has performed then have it rebuilt.

There's no guarantees in life.

Except death, which any of us could fall over dead tomorrow.

This is a decision only you and you alone can really make, unless the wife has any input on the subject.

At 67 I understand your thought process.I went through what you are going through in 2014. Ended up with a new TE and yes it's about $60k out the door. What I didn't plan on was the year it took to get all of the "little" items like extra rod holders, extra cockpit lighting, extra electronics, shade blade top etc etc installed and functioning the way you want. All of that stuff is easy for you young studs but takes geezers like us twice as long. I ended up with a boat rigged almost exactly like the old one but newer.

That being said I would do it again if I could afford it and make sure the dealer does all of the odds and ends unless you like to putter. Time puttering is time away from the water and I want to be fishing.

Finally, the latest generation of Pathfinders is so superior in fit, finish, amenities and function to older versions it will make you smile every time you put the key in the ignition.

I think rebuild, if the rest of the motor is in good shape. Even if you choose not to keep the boat, the money spent to rebuild would be recouped in the sale vs selling/trade with bad motor.

Also if you think you're reaching the end of your boating time, keep the outta pocket cost low. It seems your very happy with the boat, and I'm guessing it does all you need to do.

From what I have heard these guys do great rebuilds, and I'm sure someone in your area could do the swap. $4400 for a new powerhead plus cost to swap.

http://www.yamaha-rebuild.com/powerheads.htm

Well while i'm not quite as seasoned as you are......I have adopted a new philosophy lately as I find myself aging.

And that, is simply that we only have one shot at this life and one should do what makes them happy. With that said and money being no object.....have some fun!

My sentiments exactly

What is all this BS about aging. It's just a number. I'm 74 and still going strong. Yes I have the aches and pains in the morning, and can't function as well as when I was younger, but that will never keep me from putting the boat in for a day of fishing. I intend to be on the water until they have to carry me off my boat. Think positive and revere every day !

Before I bought the new Pathfinder I had a 1971 Mako 19'.

I was the second owner (bought it in 84') I put a new motor on it every 9-10 years. I also put a lot of hours on them too.

If you can afford it get a new motor. And if you can also afford it, get a whole new boat! You only live once, enjoy it.

The 2003 Yami 200 HPDI with 1500 hours on my 2003 Pathfinder is starting to make some strange noises and I am conflicted as to what to do. So I need to ask for advise from some of the collective wisdom on the forum. The boat it self is in good shape but it does have some cosmetic blemishes. I have all the goodies, Power Pole, Trolling Motor, tee top, jack plate and new boat similarly equipped would be $60,000 grand less an estimated $10,000 trade-in.

A new 200 SHO VMAX would be under $20,000 including new cables, harness etc but does it make sense to spend. $20 grand on a 13 year old boat.

'BTW I am 70 so I don't know how many more boating years I have left.

Any Advise would be appreciated.

Thanks In Advance

Conflicted Mike

sell the Pathy for $10-12K and invest another $5K or so and get a smaller HPX or something similar. I'm considering something similar - just a knock around to get out and do some time on water....litttle boats are amazing....

easier to handle...less weight, runs great...less maint.

Unless you are dead set on your Pathy for fishing style, think about going smaller...

my buddy DonH sold his 20Pathy and went with the HPX T...we loved that boat....was a dream to run, sipped gas, and caught lots of feeeeessssh...just couldn't run in hard chop etc.

New boats, like above, are expensive and require at least 1 year or so and $$$ to get them right...

My $.02.

dc

i'm 66 and have a 02-2200v that came with a 200 hpdi. this year at 13 yrs and 1000+ hrs, i repowered with a FL200. the hpdi was a good engine, but they are history now. had to get used to the slower hole shot, but otherwise it's about the same after 3000 rpm. i love the 02 hull because it's so light and by now is custom fit to me. i'll probably die owning this boat. by the way the new engine was $17K.

Mike, Lots of good thoughts here. Few years behind you but run a 96 hull and 96 engine. Kinda depends on how much you like your hull really in my opinion. Budget too of course. I bought mine many years ago with 100 hours on it and am owner 2 and neighbor bought new so I know the history. That said...the day will come....thought it already would have been here honestly...when the old 2 stroke fails to breath. Without a 2nd thought I will be hanging a spanking new motor. I like the hull that much. While I have never owned one I will look at Zuks as an option. Always had Yamaha but hard to p*** by something with 6 years warranty and couple thousand less. There is just not that much price diff to me to go with a used outboard when they run nearly 10K and new ones can be had for not much more. The rebuild option would be costly too if you add in lower units, tilt trim etc. Just a power head not so but others things fail unexpectedly as they age...lol...like we all do.

I have a 04 22TE with 200hpdi No problems as of now but if necessary I would choose repowering over a new boat.

We all have our likes and dislikes but I have mine rigged as I like it and am not a fan of the back seats. They distract from the pure fishing of the older hulls. I would rather deal with wet feet than digging bait and such from under the back seat.

You might want to consider the resale if you hang $15-17k engine on an old boat. Could be tough to get your money out of it. A friend did that and hung a new F250

On an old, old Mako that has seen better days. He had it appraised and the total package isn't worth what he paid for the engine. Just saying.

This is the last rodeo, enjoy.

dh

I repowered my 2005 22' with a new SHO and am very happy. Warranty is a huge thing in my opinion and most rebuilds dont have a great warranty. That was my main reason for going new. One major problem and you could have just bought a new one. As for new boat vs current boat, I really like having an older hull that I dont have to care about as much. Either way, enjoy your life and stay on the water! I hope to be just like you guys when I get up there in age.

I would not invest any money in the current engine as it worth very little as is and won't be worth anymore with a rebuild that may blow at any time. Run it until it quits. Probably could part it out to the dealer to cover some of the rigging cost of new.

If you like your hull repower, get the warranty and enjoy it, you earned it.

I would not by a new rig. Lord forbid something happens to you that you can't continue to use the boat as you would like. The depreciation hit on a new boat would be rough.

Hope I'm not sounding insulting but you ain't no spring chicken and boating can be rough on a guy. Heck, your probably in better shape than I am theses days. ;)

You might want to consider the resale if you hang $15-17k engine on an old boat. Could be tough to get your money out of it. A friend did that and hung a new F250

On an old, old Mako that has seen better days. He had it appraised and the total package isn't worth what he paid for the engine. Just saying.

This is the last rodeo, enjoy.

dh

i don't plan on getting rid of this hull, like i said,i'll probably die in it. when i repowered and let my insurance co know i had a new engine, they valued the hull at $18k and the engine at $17k.

if i bought a new hull, by the time i got it fixed up the way this one is, i'd have $80 or $90k in it.

Archived