fishing pine island in feb.

topshelf 2

• 2 weeks later...

It will depend a lot on weather. If it has been cool before you get here, look for the larger trout in deeper holes around oyster and island points. Think snook, but you want to fish very, very slow. More like working a drop shot. I use a Rapala Sub Walk in a mullet color. Let it sink to the bottom or close, then twitch like a walk the dog. Try not to move it much each twitch.

If your a bait guy, a shrimp on a jig head close to bottom works too.

I don't target trout, but I catch a lot fishing for reds and snook in the winter. Schoolies will be in the deep gr*** flats 4-6 feet water.

The bigger trout are usually better winter and spring. Big snook are summer time along the beaches and p***. Winter time they go off shore or up rivers and deeper canals, to protect themselves from cold water. Redfish, usually, a fall run of schools of bulls. They can show up anywhere, and leave as fast as they appeared, but there are certain areas that tend to hold some bigger fish all the time. Stop in at Old Pine Island Marine and Tackle in ST. James City when you get here and I will steer you in the right direction.

Archived