Not a good sign

Capt. Troy

It has already killed my business for the most part. Even the catch and release people can read between the lines. The perception for visitors is the issue is so big there are no fish to catch.

I sadly watch the fishery be diminished year after year. This is way bigger than limiting the take by legal recreational anglers. Way Bigger!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Robert3 said:

Trout fishing near me is on fire, with many 18"+ trout every day.. Restoration is working IMHO, never had the qty and sizes as we have right now

That is not what the latest stock assessments have shown. It is why new permanent regs have just been put in place for trout state wide.

Pretty significant reductions as of 2/1/2020.

We have lived/fished in Homosassa for the last 12 years. Grew up fishing Tampa Bay south to the Charlotte Harbor. Family has been around the St.Pete area since the 30’s and cut my teeth fishing the cross bayou and John’s pass area. Watched that fishery try to maintain the unrelenting pressure it receives day in and day out. My long winded point, if you close harvest in one sector it drives others to an open sector putting undue pressure on that fishery. 
Since the closure I have seen more 813/727 area code guide boats in the area than I can remember. Granted those guides are trying to make a living, I can’t blame them. My ire is with the State, close everything to protect that which is not in peril from becoming over fished. This area is still “like the good ole days”. Guides harvest limits of everything and hang them on the nails at MacRaes for a picture. The area still has kill redfish tournaments along with trout. 
Scallops are a perfect example. Very known Tampa area guides, locals, vacationers running multiple trips beating the biomass to death all cause it’s easy and easy money. It can only take so much and last year was an example of the gluttony, their gone. To try to save or protect one area it drives the problem north and south. I hope the areas outside of the closures can maintain the added pressure on top of the population growth that is under estimated by many. 

• Like 1

On 2/20/2020 at 9:18 AM, SouthernWake said:

Not a local but do travel to fish Charlotte harbor regularly and have noticed changes in the fishery especially over the last few years. One year I even started coughing at the entrance to bull bay. Fish have reacted to the water and it is noticeable even when tide effects are not present.

X2, this year also.

I have to give the FFW some credit to do something before there is a collapse in these species.  I also agree that it should be state wide so areas like the 10k don't attract a ton of more pressure.

I spend summers in the NE and we have a disaster with stripe bass and blues, because a lack of any real management or enforcement.  I have almost given up on that fishery and I am a C&R fisherman.

I fish the north end of the 10k and it is only mediocre so far this season.