Prop for 23hps

rip-a-lip

• 2 months later...
  • Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Robert3 , why did you make the comment that your 250 SHO was making oil?  I'm in my 3rd year with my 23' HPS with the 250 VF250.  I recently have the same problem with oil level increasing.  My dealer recommend that I change the oil and monitor the level over the next 50 hours which I did and it's the same at 25 hours.   But he made the comment that my engine was not maxing out on rpms and speed.  Could this be the problem?

I order the same prop that was on the 2011Yamaha performance bulletin that showed max 6050 rpms with 63.7 with the hps boat.  I could not get over 5700 rpm and 57 mph with an empty boat.  I'm not a speed demon  so I lived with it.  It just aggravates me that others are hitting higher numbers and read that you should get the right prop to max the rpm's for your motor.

27 minutes ago, Charles said:

Robert3 , why did you make the comment that your 250 SHO was making oil?  I'm in my 3rd year with my 23' HPS with the 250 VF250.  I recently have the same problem with oil level increasing.  My dealer recommend that I change the oil and monitor the level over the next 50 hours which I did and it's the same at 25 hours.   But he made the comment that my engine was not maxing out on rpms and speed.  Could this be the problem?

I order the same prop that was on the 2011Yamaha performance bulletin that showed max 6050 rpms with 63.7 with the hps boat.  I could not get over 5700 rpm and 57 mph with an empty boat.  I'm not a speed demon  so I lived with it.  It just aggravates me that others are hitting higher numbers and read that you should get the right prop to max the rpm's for your motor.

Engines don't make oil, fellas. If it's not milky/creamy looking (water), it's fuel. I'd send a sample into a lab and see what comes back. I'm not sure how Yamaha sets up their outboard injectors, but I would look at the o-rings and possibly look at sending the injectors in for check/tune up. Is your engine running as it should, no codes or bad sensors, etc.?  And yes, too much oil can cause unesceesray drag on the rotating assembly, but I highly doubt that's your issue. Again, I'm not a Yamaha mechanic or an outboard mechanic, just an old shade tree get'er done. 

The way I understand it making oil is gas blowing past the rings from a poor brake in.  Some say to brake them in hard to seat the rings.  I followed Yamaha brake in to a tee plus in cold weather and I make oil.  Also being over propped and never running in the upper limits of rpm.  About 120 hours I changed to regular oil and a lower pitch prop and ran it hard but still making but not as bad.  

Charles, I only run 57-58 with 2 big men and a dog 1/2 tank fuel.  Take 1 guy out keep the dog and I usually can hit 61 with a Power Tech 22.  Early on I was getting 62-63 with the yamaha 23 that came with the boat but now it won't break 60.  Best I ever got was 64.7 with the 23 and maybe a little tide and wind help.  O.o       

Wrong direction to 'make oil'. If oil is getting by the rings, it will be burnt in the combustion process; meaning you'll be losing oil. If you're 'making oil', gas is getting by the rings (bad injector, injector o-ring, ecu or sensor issue causing over fueling/rich condition) or water intrusion; those are the only two things present to increase the 'oil' level. Water intrusion is obvious by visual inspection; fuel is too depending on the amount of fuel present, the viscosity of the oil or even smell.

We're way off prop discussion, and about to be into a whole different board/thread. Sorry about that.

I'm only here because a 23 HPS is hopefully going to be coming home with me early next spring....so I want to know what prop is going to be best for what I do.

Carry on.

3 hours ago, BradM said:

Wrong direction to 'make oil'. If oil is getting by the rings, it will be burnt in the combustion process; meaning you'll be losing oil. If you're 'making oil', gas is getting by the rings (bad injector, injector o-ring, ecu or sensor issue causing over fueling/rich condition) or water intrusion; those are the only two things present to increase the 'oil' level. Water intrusion is obvious by visual inspection; fuel is too depending on the amount of fuel present, the viscosity of the oil or even smell.

We're way off prop discussion, and about to be into a whole different board/thread. Sorry about that.

I'm only here because a 23 HPS is hopefully going to be coming home with me early next spring....so I want to know what prop is going to be best for what I do.

Carry on.

Sorry I meant gas blowing past rings otherwise the oil level wouldn't rise.   

On ‎7‎/‎5‎/‎2017 at 11:42 AM, BradM said:

Carry on.

On ‎7‎/‎4‎/‎2017 at 11:45 PM, Sunstone said:

The way I understand it making oil is oil blowing past the rings from a poor brake in.  Some say to brake them in hard to seat the rings.  I followed Yamaha brake in to a tee plus in cold weather and I make oil.  Also being over propped and never running in the upper limits of rpm.  About 120 hours I changed to regular oil and a lower pitch prop and ran it hard but still making but not as bad.  

Charles, I only run 57-58 with 2 big men and a dog 1/2 tank fuel.  Take 1 guy out keep the dog and I usually can hit 61 with a Power Tech 22.  Early on I was getting 62-63 with the yamaha 23 that came with the boat but now it won't break 60.  Best I ever got was 64.7 with the 23 and maybe a little tide and wind help.  O.o       

Why did you switch from the Yamaha 23 to power tech 22?  Power Tech did help me with problems I had with my 20' pathfinder 150F Yamaha.

Archived