Prop for 23hps

rip-a-lip

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Which motor? I have not tried a bravo.

I have not, still on the hunt for the right one.

I've tried Rev4 - 24P, can turn it but only gets 61 mph at 5800. Yamaha HS4 21P, not enough pitch... barely get 60 and topped out on RPM's.

Anyone found a 4 blade that gets 63+ ?

Josh B.

Second the recommendation to test the Enertia ECO. I've gone round and round with the Yamaha props and have since tested the Merc Tempest Plus, Rev4, Bravo and the ECO. ECO acts like a 3.5 blade prop giving the best attributes of each and hooks up like no other Ive tested. Using the Rubex hub. Not as soft as the SDS but not bad.

wow you guys are getting completely different numbers that I am seeing.. I can only get 58mph at 5800 rpm and I'm running an OFX4 19p.. and I'm making oil with the 250SHO. Am I under propped? Marcus says not.. I think so! Never get to 63+, never get higher than 5800rpms.. Whats up with all these different numbers?

5800 is at the upper end of the range and should be close to where the engine makes peak HP. I think you would be splitting hairs to go much further. The speed question could be anything but likely the OFX4 is slowing you down some. I noticed that the OFX4 was not a good speed prop but hooked up like a tractor on my last boat. Gave me too much stern lift. I needed an overall lifting prop.

The boat was loaded like I normally fish it, tackle bag and 3 rods 50 gallons is about 7/8 on fuel so I don't know where you get light loaded from.

Boat only has 4 hours on it and the Minn Kota and trolling batteries wont be here until the beginning of the new year.

My last boat was an 18 HPX so I don't carry a bunch of crap in the boat. Lithium trolling batteries and moving the motor to the aft deck during runs is not going to change my speed much.

I think 63+/- is about the top end for this boat/motor combo. You may get 65 with a 3 blade that is fast with light load, etc. but it's not going to be practical for every day use. I know someone who's got 65 out of it, but like I said not with an every day practical setup.

I think the HS4 - 23 pitch or the SDS II 23 Pitch 3 blade are both decent props for this boat. The performance bulletin shows 63.6 with the SDS II, but I would imagine holeshot is not as good.

I have a Merc Rev 4 23 pitch that I'm going to have shaved back a little and see how she works. I'm getting 61 with it now and RPM's are just around 5800-5900. It's fairly beat up at this point and needs to be resurfaced. We'll see.

I've never tried the Eco props BigMike, so that's one I'll put on the list.

Also, isn't this 250 SHO supposed to run up to 6000 rpm range? 6200?

http://yamahaoutboards.com/sites/default/files/bulletins/PAT_2300HPS_VF250LA_2012-07-13_FLT.pdf

Josh B.

The boat was loaded like I normally fish it, tackle bag and 3 rods 50 gallons is about 7/8 on fuel so I don't know where you get light loaded from.

Boat only has 4 hours on it and the Minn Kota and trolling batteries wont be here until the beginning of the new year.

My last boat was an 18 HPX so I don't carry a bunch of crap in the boat. Lithium trolling batteries and moving the motor to the aft deck during runs is not going to change my speed much.

I get lightly loaded from your own post, you said it yourself:

"New boat still breaking in motor (250 sho)

50 gal fuel, 1 battery, i person, light fishing load"

You dont go test props with the boat light, you put a normal load on it and go from there.

Josh, ive spun my sho 6100, it didnt go any higher than that, ive been told to run to 6k

Looks like the top end of the WOT range on this motor is 6k. Depending on where you look, peak HP is achieved at between 5500 and 5800 rpm. I think if you're at 5800 and getting 4 mph less than everybody else, you have a prop that is not pitched as stamped, your weight distribution is different, your boat is glued to the water or you have something that is causing high slip at WOT. Tabs up, trim up and fly as light as you safely can. Do you have a t-top by chance? I lost 5 mph when I added a t-top and could only turn 5500 rpm. Had to prop down to get back to 6k. Transducer in front of prop can cause challenges as well. Fun but frustrating stuff. Not to mention expensive.

Light fishing load meaning I didn't have 2 coolers full of ice, and full livewells.

This is how I will run the boat 90% of the time so for my use I am not propping it light.

Didn't get a chance to run the bravo fs today,

but I expect it to be to small similar to jibbers results with the hs4 21.

Trying to track down a 23 bravo

If you often fish with 1 battery (lithium still weigh some), no trolling motor, 1 person, 3 rods, and a tackle bag, then go ahead and prop that way. But come summertime i dont think you will be at peak performance. If you think you will be fine then by all means do it.

Just trying to save you a potential headache later. I've spent time propping boats till I go nuts.

For my setup the 15" 23 pitch HS4 seems to be a pretty good fit.

62-63 top end fishing loaded (livewells empty). Very comfortable cruise and the boat springs up out of the hole. I can ping it off the rev limiter when I am light. One downside is that the prop grabs really hard and at certain spots in the rpm/trim range it is really hard to turn.

I only have a 6" jackplate though and the boat runs best with the short shaft SHO pretty far down.

Just for the record, I posted 61 mph @ 5900 rpm's. That's running very light. One person, less then 1/2 tank of fuel, no water in live-wells and no T-top. Just a stock boat with 3 batteries and a trolling motor. All batteries are under the deck, behind the leaning post.

When they post performance numbers, I'm sure they are using the prop that produces the optimum speed and rpm's for that particular boat, however that prop is probably not good for all circumstances.

When I took delivery of my boat, it came with a 3 blade Yamaha prop and topped out at 64 mph. That was really exciting, but I soon learned that the prop was not good for all circumstances. It lost grip when running the surf, in inlets (running against the tide) and in turns. So, I had to dial back to the 4 blade. This prop works great under all circumstances, but lost 3 mph top end. Believe me, 3 mph is significant when on the water.

And for the record, my boat is almost impossible to steer at that speed. Wish that was different.

Interesting to see the hard to turn comments. I noticed this when testing props on my 2200TE. Mentioned it to the dealer and they said they had never heard of it.

Believe turning left is worse, the SHO does not have an adjustable anode, so guess you are at the mercy of prop torque.

Do the F250/300's have an adjustable anode and are people experiencing the hard to turn issue on non-SHO powered boats?

Archived