Ten Thousand Islands February 15, 2020

I've fished with Mike ("InTheSlot12") a few times and with another friend once, but this was the first time back out on the water with my skiff since knee surgery January 2. 3rd qt. moon (55% visible), sunrise at 6:56 a.m. Weather report called for intervals of clouds and sun with slight chance of rain (15%). Winds were expected NE at 10-15, pressure was steady around 30.17'. High tide at the Chatham River entrance was 6:38 a.m. (2.533') with a close to negative low at 12:52 p.m. (.636'). Wind direction meant that water would likely be much lower than those tidal conditions would otherwise create.  

Launched from Outdoor Resorts just before first light into a stiff NE wind (probably more like 20-25...how does the weatherman keep his job??). Decided to spend the day in the backcountry, so we headed east to the Lopez River.  

We spent most of the day in the Huston Bay area and in the Chatham River. The day actually turned out to be outstanding. After several trout and a couple of lower slot-size reds, I brought a 36" snook to the boat at 8:45 a.m. to really get us started. From there, it was game on. I think the strike score was accurate at least to timing--we seemed to do best from about 10:00 a.m. to about 11:15 a.m. Total catch for the day was over 25 snook (3 other slot-size with all the rest dinks); 7 redfish (all lower slot size); dozens of trout including 2 or 3 very nice, big fat girls; 5 juvenile Goliath Grouper; 3 Sheepsheads; several mangrove snapper; and assorted jacks, ladyfish and sail cats.  

We used a variety of baits. I threw top water for a while, and assorted soft plastic paddle tails on jig heads. My buddy Mike favored the GULP! Swimming Mullet in white; I was using white Salt Water Assassin Sea Shads in white with tails that I have painted either chartreuse or pink or Slayer Sinister Series 3.5" Swim Tails in Cockroach. We also used some live shrimp on jig heads for the Sheepsheads and caught some of the trout and snappers with shrimp. But, the top bait of the day was the "Slim Shady (custom ZMan DieZel MinnowZ)! That's what the big snook ate and many of the other fish I caught.

I even wrote a little Diddy after hearing "Jim Dandy" on the way home:

Slim Shady (With Apologies to Black Oak Arkansas)

Slim Shady to the rescue!
Go, Slim Shady! Go, Slim Shady!
I was running through the ENP
Ten Thousand Islands for us to see
Trying to decide which bait to choose
Out of all the options only one to use
I was fishing with a buddy named Hugh
He was feeling kind of blue
I’m Slim Shady, the kind of guy
Who can’t see a good friend cry
We were running a Hell’s Bay Pro
Got a feeling but didn’t really know
‘Til I took out my package and selected a hook
One long cast was all it took!
Mr. Shady didn’t waste no time!

Here are some photos of the day.  Mike didn't share any of the ones I took of him, but he had several very nice catches including a couple of fat speckled trout and a really nice red.  

Tight lines.

03A1D915-FB8C-4A11-A83C-BBE2466CD274_1_201_a.jpeg

3E600646-26B9-4DF8-8E6E-ECEA06124B1A_1_201_a.jpeg

CCD82A33-3266-480E-BA85-4A7A39E484DA_1_201_a.jpeg

F243412A-490C-406B-A2DA-38A27F923D01_1_201_a.jpeg

662BC5C8-F101-4DF0-890D-E70B4F2FFA2B_1_201_a.jpeg

8E6D698E-E41D-460A-B2B3-7FF9F0CA2966_1_201_a.jpeg

12FDC5C2-A445-4346-91A4-B425FDDEEF49_1_201_a.jpeg

6B06811A-D627-4838-8DCE-1C7F33FDB8EB_4_5005_c.jpeg

18170838-FE49-4E7F-8BAC-B20BB462FC00_1_201_a.jpeg

IMG_0780.jpeg

1070F8E8-1382-4BEF-BFA9-40B2FA761D6F.heic

• Like 2

Great report Dave.....

I fished Saturday out front.....

The bite was very good.....25+ trout,  one nice fatty who made it home, but, most were just about 14", we found 20+ reds with most in the 17" range, one in the box, one small snook, like you, a few goliaths, a sheepie and the normal jacks and cats.

We did find a school of Jurassic Lady Fish down near Bird Key and we fished farther south on the incoming in the PM....I have never seen that many large Lady's.

I hope the Sheepie had a nice ride home in a a cool bag :)

My buddy was fishing hard the shrimp and popp'n corks while I was fishing gulps, DOA's and I did sin and throw the cork and shrimp a few times :)

DC

• Like 1

7 hours ago, dabear said:

Dave how did the knee do ?  What type of surgery did you have ? Thanks foe sharing the pics . Looks like a great trip. Joe R 

Hey, Joe.  I'm doing great.  Had surgery for torn medial and lateral meniscus and some work done behind the knee.  I have a lot of arthritis in both knees from years of running and other sports but I'm doing great.  Had my last PT visit today.  Thanks for asking.  

Outstanding report, Dave. 👍 👍 

I was in Choko 2/12-17. Average winter fishing.....15-20 snook, 6-8 reds, a few big trout & scattered jewfish for us each day. We spent wayyy too much time sightfishing spooky fish in clear water out front & in the back. Should've probably switched gears & used my Choko neighbor's stockpile of fiddler crabs to bang up the sheepies instead.  

• Like 1