Just curious - MA vs. Newer models

whichwaysup

• 8 months later...

Sorry for resurrecting this old thread,  but it's the only one I've found that addresses what I'm after.   How would the MA ride and polability compare to the Redfisher and/or Bonefisher models? 

I used to run an Action Craft 1720 fly fisher, that I liked,  but I thought it was just OK at both rough water and polability...I'm looking for an upgrade in polability without sacrificing much compared to that AC in terms of open water capability...not sure if that exists or not, but I got my eye on a Mirage at the moment. 

On 3/3/2016 at 3:40 PM, pondfisher said:

Correct. The very last 21 ever built was sold at Family Boating in Tampa in 2011/12. I know all too well because I put a lot of thought into how I could afford it. It had a brand new Yami SHO 250. What a ship!

Since this thread got popped back up by someone else, I thought the 21's had a max 225 hp rating?  Am I under the wrong assumption?

Joey - the Master Angler is going to give you (arguably) the best open water ride of any flats boat, hands down.   You aren't going to pole a 21 footer far, though.  An 18 is more manageable.  MAs are great for a little poling and a lot of fishing.  If you will be poling the majority of the time, look at something else.   

Consider the Hewes Redfisher. Surely not a tech poling skiff. And the weight and dead rise makes a nice flats boat / open water bay boat. 

My new RF18 rides as nice as my Pathfinder did. Just less freeboard. Matter of fact, the hull has nearly same lines / profile as the Pathfinder. 

Add troller and power pole, and I think it be perfect for Pamlico. 

Archived