Just curious - MA vs. Newer models

whichwaysup

So, I love my 18.5 MA. No plans to upgrade right now, but I have always wondered if the ride of the new Mavericks (mirage, HPX, HPX-V etc) offers the same great ride in a chop that the MAs do. I know that the newer Mavericks are designed to be more technical poling skiffs, but do they sacrifice the rough water handling of the old MAs?

I was out Saturday in some NASTY weather - 33 degrees, 20 MPH, open water and no protection. I thought for sure we'd be soaked and hypothermic after a trip like that, but couldn't believe how well the boat handled the chop. Rode right on top, hardly any spray until I and to cut across perpendicular to the wind and even then only the occ***ional spray.

Do you lose that in the newer versions, or are they really all that AND better poling?

I love my HPX, its perfect for what I like to do. For a poling skiff it's the best for covering long distances in relative comfort and still being able to push the thing around all day. Head-to-head ride comparison isn't even close in my opinion.

As much better as the MA is in less than ideal conditions the HPX is that much easier to pole, in my opinion. I haven't spent tons of time poling MA's but I've poled a 17 and a 21(not for very long) and you can tell the difference for sure.

No doubt, Jason - I've poled my 18.5. It's a workout, that's for sure. Up here, there's not much poling required, but the wind is always blowing, and the water can get really ugly in a hurry. The entire Pamlico sound is 7 feet deep (80 miles of it!) so I still need to be able to get shallow.

Thanks all - that helps. I can stop watching those cl***ified ads for newer more expensive Mavericks!

Concur with Jason... and others. My MA is drier and smoother than a previous bay boat but if you pole it much...your a man! I pole mine with the tide moving in same direction and the wind behind me! And thats it! She won't get too skinny but up here we lose or gain 6 inches of water every 30 minutes so every 30 minutes she gets where it couldn't on the rise. Course your stuck high and dry on the converse. Wouldn't want to replace her though...but theres a gheenoe I have my eye on...

You are not going to find many new boats that are going to compare with your MA. Everything nowadays seems to be a bay boat or a "poling" skiff. There is only one MA style new boat out there that I can think of off the top of my head. Poleposition would be the man to ask about smooth riding flats boats as he has had some beauties.

Note: Ask any non MBC questions in PM form as not to start a war. :content:

...and they are sweeeeeet. Yellowfin also makes a 21 Hybrid, I guess to compete with the Egret 2011. Both are huge, fast, and cool as hell, to me anyway. They're like saltwater b*** boats.

All I know is that we must stop the spread of these bay boats before they totally take over the fishing boat industry !

• 4 weeks later...

The ride of the 2014 Maverick 18 HPX is unreal.

It crushes big water! Super dry ride.

Mine has a 115 the CG is perfect.

I am looking to go faster so I am thinking about the Redfisher 18 with a 150 SHO.

I figure the extra beam should help carry the weight.

To answer your question. There is not another flats boat that rides as good as an MA....EGRET 189 would be a close comparison. You will be disappointed if you think a new 18HPX will compare to the ride in a rough chop of an 18 MA. The 21 MA is an aircraft carrier... HUGE deck with very aggressive hull. 21 MA busts a chop better than a 22 pathfinder. And yes I am speaking honestly from personal experience

• 1 month later...
Yeah, I am starting to like the look of that 21' MA. . . Those aren't produced anymore either, are they. I think they stopped in 11??

Correct. The very last 21 ever built was sold at Family Boating in Tampa in 2011/12. I know all too well because I put a lot of thought into how I could afford it. It had a brand new Yami SHO 250. What a ship!

Archived