1986 Hewes Stalker

truenative

truenative,

Here is an email corespondance I had with Joel, Bob Hewes's son-in-law, from a few years back.

"hey brian, I have seen a handful of the stalkers. pop pop hewes made them, as an alternative to the bonefishers, which had been in production, for about 15 years, by then. we actually have one here for service this week, and i know of one here, in town. i think there were only about 30 of these made,."

Almost a one of a kind boat being that only around 30 were ever made.

Sweet! A third Stalker owner on here! That's a nice '88. That is the second time I've heard of so few being made. That seems funny because I can recall seeing at least 5 (mine, yours, truenative's, plus 2 online, one in the keys) in the last year or so. I'll have to get some pics of mine up soon. Glad to hear about replacing the floor and not the cap. My floor is just about shot.

• 3 years later...
  • 8 months later...
  • 10 months later...
  • 5 years later...

So this Stalker will be hitting the market soon. I'm moving to an 18' Redfisher Lappy as my wife an kids wanted more dry storage. I have upgraded the motor and controls to a Yamaha 2stroke since the above photos. 

I'm wondering if I should separate the motor and hull or if I should sell the package together. I was surprised to see how much the Yamaha 90s were going for alone. I love the motor but feel it would be a little underpowered on the new 18" boat. 

• 1 year later...
On 1/28/2008 at 5:24 PM, truenative said:

Here is my 1986 Hewes Stalker, The Redheaded Stepchild of the Hewes Family. I picked this up in December and have been doing my best to sort everything out while doing as much fishing as time allows (mostly quiet weeknights).

I spent some time with Joel & his Wife (Bob's Daughter) picking their brains of anything they remember about this model since there seems to be very little out there on the web about the Stalker.

Here is what I know so Far:

There were about 14 ever Made. Joel's wife recalls that they were almost [color:brown]all beige[/color] but mine appears to be the [color:blue]original color[/color] on the hull although the top was once ice blue but the previous owner gave it a pretty shotty coat of white.It was marketed as a very skinny & light model. It is what led Bob to design and build the redfisher. I don't know why so few were made. This was right around the time that Maverick took over Hewes boats so I don't know if it just faded away as a part of that transition or what.

On my To Do List:

Maybe Some New Yammy Power Got It !! Yamaha 90 is Hung

Rework the Area Under the Rear Deck, Remove Foam Add Support & Storage

Add Fibergl*** Cooler Flush with Front Deck Level

Add GPS/Sounder

Some Sort of Stereo, Probably Speakers under the Tower.

Convert all Lights to LED and Add one Pointing into my Baitwell.

Add the Boat's Name 'Truenative' of course

I'd Love to hear any Details anyone else has. Even any Hewes Stalker Stories. How about a Head Count? I know a forum member Subsurface has one. Is there anybody else who has or has owned one?

Thanks for all the Support and advice I've had here so far, I'm sure I'll need more. I love this forum! (kind of like that Country song 'I Love this Bar')

1201558588-Bow_top.jpg.b45798c1a0849a76f

1201558089-Deck.jpg.b083c40b8da28943aadf

1201558070-Rear.jpg.7a368b55a0acbcd5a26f

1201558020-Star.jpg.a5f4c7dcdebd410cccad

1201557998-Port.jpg.e7a650b6f1f79fb5c2be

1201557931-profile.jpg.6599dbb0379aad558

1201557916-Water_Shot.jpg.1f563d1fb24340

1201557897-Truck_Boat.jpg.ea9065296bc672

So I think I just purchased your old boat!  I am going to be refurbishing the entire boat. How did you like the boat ? Anything I should know before starting the project?

IMG_1094.jpg

• 1 year later...
  • 1 month later...

Here's one of the Hewes recently bought and did some hull work on. Previous owner had it for 25 years and believes Bob owned this one himself. Have the original sales flier, paperwork. Love the boat and it will see another 20 years, Lord willing, in the back country of the 10,000 islands.

https://share.icloud.com/photos/0OhQLO1zOWEzvmPLuLUgs3aug

Sent from my iPhone