My new to me 2013 Redfisher 18

quest4reds

Just became the proud new owner of a 2013 Hewes Redfisher 18, w/ Yamaha 115hp 4-stroke with only 357 hrs on it.  Just found it less than a week ago of FB marketplace after weeks of searching everywhere I could think of, looked at it this past weekend, struck a deal, and brought it home 23 January 2020.

Starting this thread as an introduction to fellow RF/Hewes owners, and to keep track of what she is now, and capture any changes that will happen along the way.  She already needs a few things, well the trailer mostly and I have already made some additions (mounted a new spare tire to trailer today) so I hope to capture all the good and bad we go through on this adventure.

trailer rear crossmember.png

trailer leaf springs.png

boat cover.png

starboard rod holders n cup holder.png

port rod holders n cup holder.png

motor jack plate power pole.png

boat from poling platform.png

boat starboard.png

one bunk starboard rear.png

one bunk port side.png

boat port.png

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Shallowminded6 said:

I like the black caulking(?) around the cockpit gunnel. Small repairs to make. Keep puting hours on her. Only thing that will hurt these boats is letting them sit. 

Yeah, PO did the black silicone(at least I think its silicone), he didn't like the white cause it always looked dirty.  Pretty good idea I'd say.  

Oh and I do NOT plan on letting this sit.

Boat did AWESOME today, it's a dream come true.  She handles great, runs smooth and fast.  Hit 42mph with 19 3-blade, plenty fast for me.  Even slimed the deck already!

Did have one issue I would like to address, perhaps somebody can help that has had the same thing.  Got water shooting up from the power pole bracket and it splashes on to my back while driving.  Anyone dealt with this before and have a fix for it?

17 minutes ago, HoneyB said:

Are you sure it’s from the power pole and not the transducer? 

Honestly it may be a combination of both.  haven't left the console while running to really go look at it, but water is shooting up the pole and splashing forward.  xdcr and power pole on same side, starboard.  Power pole hoses hang a little below the bracket too so that might be something to look at too.  I'm back on the water first thing in the morning so I'll take a better look then.

• 4 months later...
On 1/26/2020 at 9:27 PM, Pham said:

I had the same issue with my 16’ hewes redfisher. It was cause by my transducer. Put the transducer shield on it and it solve the issue. 

Put the transducer shield on today, and fixed my Power Pole with replacement parts they sent me for free.  

Garmin_xdcr_spray_shield_cropped.png

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

Boat has been doing great and getting slimed often.  I got a new trolling motor, a MK Terrova with I-Pilot and picked up a foot pedal IOT control without taking my hands off fishing rod.  The spot lock feature is awesome!  Replaced old bulb style anchor light with a new Hella Marine NaviLED fold down 12" white anchor light.  Replaced passenger side trailer tail light as it went out.  

Did have one issue last time out, console busted loosed while running with passenger sitting in front of console.  Apparently not an uncommon problem with MBG boats as there are several other threads addressing the issue.  Replaced the four mounting screws with larger lags, added three screws in between (couldn't get to the area to add the fourth) and filled all the holes with RTV prior to putting the fastener in place.  Finished with a bead of exterior caulking around the base, came out looking just about new.  Also while I had all the batteries out, I cleaned them all up and topped off distilled water.  After I got them all back in, I straightened up the loose wiring in there so it doesn't look like a rat's nest any more.

I have pictures, but I keep getting errors (-200) when trying to attach.  I've tried .jpg, .png and .bmp formats but none are working right now.  I've attached them before but nothing seems to be working right now.  What's the secret to adding photos?

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Great looking Boat! I was going to great a new light as well but I just got some led bulbs from amazon for $3. and made it and LED. So did you find out or dose anyone know if it's caulking around the gunnels? Leaf springs on the trail are a no go, torsion all the way. The sound system must rock out, I assume there's an amp. What are you thinking of naming her?

1 hour ago, Sallow Minded said:

Great looking Boat! I was going to great a new light as well but I just got some led bulbs from amazon for $3. and made it and LED. So did you find out or dose anyone know if it's caulking around the gunnels? Leaf springs on the trail are a no go, torsion all the way. The sound system must rock out, I assume there's an amp. What are you thinking of naming her?

The problem with my anchor light was the bracket itself that held the bulb was the problem so pretty much had no choice but to replace the whole assembly, also got one a little taller than original.  Pretty sure it's caulking, definitely not rubber gasket or anything like that.  When time to replace springs, will definitely be looking into swapping torsion in there.  Sound system does great, pretty sure it has an amp, but honestly I really never turn it on, I'm not sure what type of music the fish like.  Haven't thought of naming it honestly.  It'd be cool to be able to name it something like "Sir-slimed-a-lot" or something that indicates it gets a lot of fishing action, but my fishing skills are not up to that level, LOL.