How old is too old

Valhalla

Personally, I think any solo fishing is asking for trouble...yes, Epirb, Spot, PFD on body are all good...but, but a quick fall over the gunnels and you could have a real problem in a moving river with oysterbar shores...

I just found I feel safer with someone else in the boat....at 63 I'm taking along many older buddies....hint hint Capt DonH :)  but, he usually kicks my Ar$$$ fishing on some days...

My $.02....

dc

On 1/23/2020 at 8:06 AM, mdemott said:

75 and still chasing the reds and trout in a 20ft. bay boat. launching off a drive on dock, all cleaning and yearly maintenance. Just finished servicing my boat trailer which is not used that much but still needs attention.  Also I am still working part time as a consultant. Trying to stay active so the "rust" doesn't catch up with me.

I'm almost 61 and doing the same.

If your in decent shape and your thinking about how hard it is to launch the boat, go fishing for the day and pull the boat out, clean it etc. then you might want to start hitting the gym or consult a doctor. Just sayin.

On the other hand, I was told a long time ago that once you hit 50 your suppose to stay off roofs and ladders. Didn't say nothing about poling platforms or walk around gunnels.😁

• Like 3

63 and fortunately still healthy.  Fish alone, fish with friends.  Pick my days offshore.  Our fishing club has a lot of guys from 40 to 80.  Still a number fishing in their 70s (buddy on a long range tuna trip out of Ca right now, he's 72!)  However, what I see is mid to late 70s most guys are slowing down on their outdoor recreation.   Being on the water is something I enjoy, almost religious for me.  Like others wrote, I'm a lot more aware of safety these days. I'm less concerned about how shinny my boat is, but everything works!  

Thoughtful thread. Kinda scary this mortality stuff.  Enjoy each day.  

Maybe a slightly new perspective.  I am 48, not old, but ancient in my profession, active Army.  I still get around pretty good although I did have to quit jumping out of planes.  I've been in combat multiple times and each time helped me put things in perspective for myself.  First, and maybe this is unique to me, but I am perfectly ready to go any time the man upstairs calls my name.  I do not fear it, loathe it, or dread that this day is coming, because I know it is certain.   When you really think about it, the only thing we have on our death beds is the relationships we have built during our time above the grass.  Build and nurture those and whenever your last day is, it'll be a happy one.

Bottom line: Fish till you drop and enjoy time with your family and friends doing what you love.

• Like 1

Maybe a slightly new perspective.  I am 48, not old, but ancient in my profession, active Army.  I still get around pretty good although I did have to quit jumping out of planes.  I've been in combat multiple times and each time helped me put things in perspective for myself.  First, and maybe this is unique to me, but I am perfectly ready to go any time the man upstairs calls my name.  I do not fear it, loathe it, or dread that this day is coming, because I know it is certain.   When you really think about it, the only thing we have on our death beds is the relationships we have built during our time above the grass.  Build and nurture those and whenever your last day is, it'll be a happy one.

Bottom line: Fish till you drop and enjoy time with your family and friends doing what you love.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

On 1/25/2020 at 8:56 AM, quest4reds said:

Not unique to you at all. I have felt this way for the last 3 1/2 years. 🙏

• Like 1

On 1/25/2020 at 8:56 AM, quest4reds said:

I still get around pretty good although I did have to quit jumping out of planes. 

Come on now.  There is a 73 y.o. man up there.  73 with over 500 static line rounds and still jumping a couple times a month.  He was about 60 when my dad and a few others set the record at the time for a 24,000' static line jump.  Not bad for an old man!IMG_0940.JPG.a4de9c03d358e6d98c3f888be7aa6a35.JPGIMG_0936.JPG.ac01b552b04b5a748bbd4bb03bef214e.JPG

39361574426_98028a_32sq.jpg

• Like 1

2 hours ago, mulligan said:

Come on now.  There is a 73 y.o. man up there.  73 with over 500 static line rounds and still jumping a couple times a month.  He was about 60 when my dad and a few others set the record at the time for a 24,000' static line jump.  Not bad for an old man!

39361574426_98028a_32sq.jpg

Good for him, that's incredible.  However, when the orthopedic surgeon told me "The next time you jump could be the last time you walk" and "I would take you into surgery right now" due to my back issues and "I wish I hadn't seen your MRI" when I said I didn't want to opt in for surgery at the moment, I decided it was time to hang up the wings.