How old is too old

Valhalla

I fished with a guide last Spring in Pensacola.  He was a light tackle/fly guide.  He poles around a larger skiff around all day. Think he was pushing 80 and was great looking shape.  His boat was on a lift so launching isn't an issue but he's having to do all of the other dirty work.  

Dang, this is going to be a tough thread, but probably a good one for all of us to think about.   I guess the answer depends a lot on what you're most worried about - not coming back alive due to an age related accident, or just not being able to handle the physical/mental aspects of operating, maintaining, and cleaning a boat.   

Short answer?  At 60, in decent health, and normal lifespan you have plenty of time to go out, purchase a brand new boat and enjoy it until it can show up in the "vintage" section of this forum.   

But, a few more philosophical thoughts:

1) 60 or 40 or 21, or whatever, every day is a gift and no tomorrow is guaranteed.   We're all taking a trip to a place we can't come back from, so treat it like any other upcoming trip - be ready, have your bags packed, do your research, and be ready to go at any time.   That way, when the time comes unexpectedly, you worry less.

2)  I've been watching my parents, and before that, their parents.   It seems to me that regardless of how well you maintain yourself, things tend to slide downhill between 70 and 80.   The difference I've seen in my folks over that period of time has been markedly different than any other period of their lives.   My dad still flies his own aircraft and flies commercially in his early 70's, but he'd tell you straight up that he's fighting a losing battle.   My guess is that he's going to hang up his pilot's license by 75, and the man is a careful, conscientious pilot and aircraft mechanic if there ever was one.   Maintaining and operating an aircraft is a whole lot different than than a boat, so if he were a fisherman, he'd easily go to 80 before I think he'd even consider putting it up.

3) It's also been my experience that your will to experience new adventures seems to compete, over time, with your enjoyment of reliving prior adventures.   I'm middle aged, and I find more and more that I enjoy the memory of recent fishing trips almost as much as I relish upcoming ones.   Pics on my phone of trips get reviewed often and sometimes that's enough to keep me home with the kids and wife.   I would hope that as I approach the "other half" of my life, that balance continues to tip.   Why is that important to your question? See item 4:   

4) I think it becomes a matter of picking your days more selectively.   Monday, I was out in 30 MPH north winds and freezing temps.   It was hard enough at mid-40 to make it through the day without falling or losing my mental accuity (dang it really was cold!).   At 70, I doubt I would have found any enjoyment at all.   On the other hand, on a nice day, light wind, mild temps, I hope to be out on my own boat till (and maybe on) the day I die.

5)  Got kids?   Train them now to take you.  I have a lot of friends my age that make it a priority to take their dad's fishing.   I wish my dad lived closer, it would be a regular occurrance - and he doesn't even like to fish!

• Like 1

Im still on the younger side, in my mid 30’s. But working Fire Rescue I do get to see allot of people in various stages of life and health. I think the drive to go is as important as anything. I have seen some seasoned fellas have some neat ways to get the boat off of the trailer so they dont have to climb over the tongue etc. (figuring trailering is prob the most physical portion if you use TM to fish). Physical shape and conditioning is a huge part. Those two things could really limit or inhibit someones ability to fish by themselves. So take care of yourself and I think you shoud be good through your 70s up into the low 80s if you are lucky. I am more inline with Whichwaysup on picking days at that point. Hopefully I have my sons to fish with me and I wont have to go solo as much. I think I would enjoy having them catch a 40” snook or a gator trout more than catching one myself. But I plan on going fishing until I cant tow my boat to the ramp. 

• Like 1

Well, I'll pipe up ,  I turned 77 last sept,  really, and I still fish the everglades and the NE in my 2 boats.  Fl is the Maverick HPX  v 15fter and in NE a 20ft  HEWES LT .  My FL boat is trailered to the everglades to fish and the Hewes is kept at a dock. So far so good I've been doing it for over 25yrs,so I feel comfortable with the single handed thing. I am lucky to be healthy and physically capable. Who knows when that will change, I'll know when it isn't safe when I start to have any issues,especially with balance.  I do use PFDs when out alone. Hope to keep on trucking I mean boating.LOL

• Like 1

Maybe I'm saying this because I am not there yet, mid 40's, but I would hope by 60 I would be just getting warmed up!  You have something most don't have, time to fish.  So if you are able and want to i say fish away.

I think Whichway nailed it in more detail.  And Whichway, send you dad down to Florida.  My dad does not pilot but at 73 he still jumping out of airplanes all the time and could always use a ride up!

• Like 1

I'll be 72 in March and still fish by myself locally, do the OT yearly but it is getting tougher each year. Both of our boats are on lifts and I doubt I would fish as much if I had to trail it every trip. Of course it might be easier if I lost weight, drank less and didn't take meds. I am not sure the last part is going to happen so i'll keep at it the best I can.

I am 60 and am finding that loading/unloading, trailering, putting in/out and cleaning my Pathfinder is getting a lot less enjoyable. Bought a skiff and will decide in the next year or two which one I get rid of. If I had to bet it will be the Pathfinder, skiff will limit me somewhat, but am becoming a more fair weather fisherman anyways.

I work in the industry and tend to see the customer base taper as they approach 70. Once they crest 75 the amount of customers are very low, except for the occasional pontoon guy. 

At 23 myself, I try to get out every chance I get because you never know when it could be your time. A girl I was pursuing recently had a stroke and had to be rushed to heart surgery completely out of the blue (she was 21). No warnings or prior knowledge. Nothing more depressing than when I have a guy come in claiming hes just too old to use his boat anymore and is hanging up the towel.  At least from my limited experience, the less active you become the harder it is to become active again. 

• Like 2

My brother-in-law is still a MOBILE outboard mechanic at 64. He changes power heads, lower units typically all on floating 6 x 8 pieces of Styrofoam. Then when all done he will jump in the triple engine intrepid by himself and run the heck out of the boat, I admit though, he has been doing it a long time. But at 50 when I help him on dry land he runs circles around me, somebody mentioned, if they drank less it might help, not with him, he is fit!

I understand though, I look back at what I did when I was an A/C contractor in South Florida for years and I cringe! Would never attempt half of it know.

• Like 1

I'll be 62 in May.  A life spent playing baseball (through college), football (though high school), rugby (8 seasons) and 15 years or so of competitive long distance running (50-70 miles per week at times when training for marathons...ran 3:06 when I was 46 years old!) has left my body a little beat up.  In the past several years I've had cervical disk surgery and fusion, two knee surgeries, three surgeries on the right thumb and wrist.  Otherwise, I'm in excellent health--take no prescription medications.  My eyesight is still very good at distances, though I finally had to get prescription sunglasses to see the MFD screen and tie knots.  I feel perfectly comfortable polling the skiff and often fish solo.  Like someone else mentioned, I do wear a PDF when I'm by myself.  I typically leave the house at 4:00 a.m. and usually don't get back home until 7:00 p.m. or later, and then remove and clean my gear, flush the motor and thoroughly spray the boat (I wash it the next morning, dry it and put it in the garage).  I do admit that I'm pretty beat when I come in the house after all of that, but generally bounce back pretty good after a good night's sleep.  I think if we eat well, get some exercise, watch our weight, don't smoke, don't drink or drink moderately we should be able to fish until they're ready to take us for that final boat ride.  

• Thanks 1

75 and still chasing the reds and trout in a 20ft. bay boat. launching off a drive on dock, all cleaning and yearly maintenance. Just finished servicing my boat trailer which is not used that much but still needs attention.  Also I am still working part time as a consultant. Trying to stay active so the "rust" doesn't catch up with me.

• Like 1

I am approaching 65 and want to fish as long as it is still fun . I fish with my wife 90% of the time . I am a lot more selective picking the days I fish . Not long ago I fished in the cold ,in the rain and in very windy conditions . I now fish on days that it is comfortable to go out . I spent way less time cleaning and polishing my boat than I did years ago  .Still take care of it but no longer make it show room shiny after every use .  I also have changed the way I drive with all the speed limits , idle zones no wake zones I spend a lot more time driving slow trying to take care of my equipment and the environment. I have stopped modifying motors running race fuel and running wide open to my next fishing spot. Life is moving way to fast and about the only time I can slow it down a little is when I am behind the wheel .  I now enjoy looking at the area the fish and the birds as much as I use to enjoy driving everything to its limits and a hair more . It’s still fun just not in all the same ways . 

• Like 2

I am glad to see a bunch of you still able to go, I am much younger at 26 but the notes on here about not knowing when your last day hits hard as my father just turned 60 last week and he hasnt been in good enough health to go fishing for probably the last 5 years at least. You never really know when your last day fishing might be and puts into perspective to make it enjoyable.

21 minutes ago, Big Dave said:

Funny, the hangovers hurt more than they used to as well!

Amen brother.  I might have to stop drinking long before I give up fishing.  Once upon a time, 2 beers was an appetizer, now half the time its a dang headache the next morning.  Thank goodness for the session IPAs like founders, they dont hurt so bad.   

Thats probably the thing I have been noticing the most, I can still generally push through anything I used to, but my recovery time is crap.  Used to be a matter of hours and I was back to 100%, now it is days!

• Like 1

Great to see everyone's input on this thread.  Many good points.  Overall theme is to get out while ya can because there will be a day when ya can't.  I dread that day.  At nearly 53 (March), I still try to get out as much as possible.  Sometimes will fish alone, but prefer to have a passenger - mainly to see them enjoy what I sometimes take for granted.  My 21 RF some days seems to be getting harder to hitch up due to its size, but the range and enjoyment of hearing the 250 eat with every push of the throttle keeps me smiling.  I think fishing keeps ya healthy and hope to go as long as Im able.😁

• Like 1