Group 27 vs Group 31 -24v Trolling motor

SW Skif

I'm looking to install a 24v trolling motor (Rhodan or Minn Kota) on a '99 2200 Pathfinder .  Need info on proper battery size.  I'll be choosing Deka AGM's.

I'd be using mostly to work shorelines, but occasionally to spot lock on an area. 

I'm looking for anyone to share their experiences and don't want to make a mistake by choosing the wrong battery setup.

I fish the Everglades.

Thanks.

~Frog

Thanks whichwayisup.

Id like to save on the weight and cost.   I'm leaning more towards the 27's.

The capacities are:  27 is 92 Ah vs 105 Ah for the 31.

On my previous boat a 16' Dolphin I could use the 12v grp 27 battery all day and never run down.  But the 2200 is entirely different, in a good way.

Hard to beat the Group 31 AGMs from Sams Club.  They are branded as Duracells but are made by East Penn Mfg., the same company that makes Deka.  They have the same specs as Deka too but the warranty isn't as good.  I think mine are maybe 7 years old and are still going strong.

31's are ALWAYS better if you have the room and can handle the weight...

I am running 27's  DEKA AGM new (this year) with a 80# Minkotta ultera...i troll normally 100 + yards to my spots in Choko to be quiet and move all day...never have i had less than 1/2 battery bars...i don't fight a current, but, if I did, it would be 31's..there is a simple calculation on the web to help estimate how much you will use depending on power...it's simple math...

BTW, always consider if you dont' have good air circ. when charging a wet cell will give off a lot of acid fumes and it will corrode the inside of your console.

dc

On 1/16/2020 at 11:10 AM, finbully said:

Largest size you can fit. I just installed 2 31s in my HPXV 18. Tight but got them in. They weigh 6 pounds (ea) more than the same brand 27s (Duracell). Worth the 12 pounds to me when I’m boondocking and can’t recharge them every day.

7344AFEB-17CE-4842-806F-019AEC415967.jpeg

EAD2E27D-986E-4786-B760-5D1B667D7A2D.jpeg

312DD907-017F-4CFA-908B-88B2E6DF4BF4.jpeg

Does the thru deck fitting allow you to pull the plug out when removing your trolling motor? If so where did you get it.

On 1/17/2020 at 1:57 PM, Wanaflatsfish said:

31's are ALWAYS better if you have the room and can handle the weight...

I am running 27's  DEKA AGM new (this year) with a 80# Minkotta ultera...i troll normally 100 + yards to my spots in Choko to be quiet and move all day...never have i had less than 1/2 battery bars...i don't fight a current, but, if I did, it would be 31's..there is a simple calculation on the web to help estimate how much you will use depending on power...it's simple math...

BTW, always consider if you dont' have good air circ. when charging a wet cell will give off a lot of acid fumes and it will corrode the inside of your console.

dc

do you think folding down the rear console door is enough air flow to prevent that? switching from agms to wet cell trolling batteries due to cost and getting all same type batteries on battery charger.

On 1/24/2020 at 1:19 PM, Fsu11 said:

do you think folding down the rear console door is enough air flow to prevent that? switching from agms to wet cell trolling batteries due to cost and getting all same type batteries on battery charger.

Yes, that's what I did when I first had my wet cells....I had a Pathfinder 22 and I would leave the door open when charging..I did this until I had the biggest surprise of my life at zero dark thirty...I went to pull the plug on the charger and close the door...I had a big CAT which had decided the warm charger was a nice place to hide in the cold morning....I slammed the door and heard a large scream....anyways, short answer yes....in addition, I would spray down all the components inside the console with a silicone based spray...not WD 40 as it  will eat the rubber connections....

The only other issue is to be sure to keep an eye on the water levels...in the summer, you have to constantly be checking and have distilled water to fill the batteries...

I found over the last 10 years, for the extra $$$, it allows me to just plug and go....but, that's just me...if you have time to fiddle, save the $$$$.

DC

• 1 month later...
On 1/16/2020 at 11:10 AM, finbully said:

Largest size you can fit. I just installed 2 31s in my HPXV 18. Tight but got them in. They weigh 6 pounds (ea) more than the same brand 27s (Duracell). Worth the 12 pounds to me when I’m boondocking and can’t recharge them every day.

7344AFEB-17CE-4842-806F-019AEC415967.jpeg

EAD2E27D-986E-4786-B760-5D1B667D7A2D.jpeg

312DD907-017F-4CFA-908B-88B2E6DF4BF4.jpeg

What TM plug is that on the deck?

3 hours ago, 4-v mach said:

What TM plug is that on the deck?

That is not the plug - it's the pass-thru for the power cable. It is simply a SS thru-deck threaded fitting with a #10 rubber stopper with a hole drilled thru the center. Worked great on my last flats boat so I repeated the setup on my 2020 Maverick. When the TM is not installed (rarely) just screw the cap on and no leaks. Also, no leaks with the stopper in place.

• Like 1