Trim Tab Switch

Lowcountry Joe

I'm going to install a Lenco Trim Tab Indicator Switch. When I look on the back of my current trim tab switch (OEM) , there are 6 wires attached. Does anyone know if this switch only works the trim tabs or are some of the other wires for other devices ? The reason I ask is I'm going to run new wires (Actuarator Extensions) from the new switch to the actuators, and disconnect the old switch wires, but I think that only four of the wires go to the actuator and the other two go ??

Thanks in advance for any light you can shine on this problem.

I plan to change out my OEM switch also. I just have to know the position of my trim tabs. I also like the auto retract feature. I changed the switch on my Scout boat and it was very easy.

Skip emailed me that I might have to use a cover plate if the OEM cutout hole is too large. I haven't checked it out yet.

I replaced my switch years ago but I don't think it has changed. You do not need to do anything but change out the switch, add the black box and run a hot wire to tell the tabs when to automatically retract.

You can find the wiring diagram at www.lencomarine.com under the "troubleshooting" tab and "Lenco Switch Kits".

I haven't figured out how to attach a file to this forum yet.

You should be able to use the OEM wires. There should be 2 wires per actuator running from console to actuators.

The Lenco black box will come with Deutsch connectors on the 2 wires. I don't think the OEM wires have the Deutsch connectors in the console. So you can either add them to the OEM wires to connect to the Lenco box, or easier and better way. Cut the the Deutsch connectors off the Lenco box and splice the wires.

I think the way MBC wires the trim tab switch is much better in the long run. The deutsch connectors corrode over time, a good splice job won't. Using the Lenco switch means using the Lenco box, which is another piece of electronics to fail. Why do I need a electronic box to reverse polarity. Yes the Lenco setup will give you auto up and an LED, but to me those are bonus items.

The switch MBC uses is just a standard switch, maybe DPDT. And all it does is swap which wire gets power and which get ground.

My main concern with a simple DPDT switch is if I can damage the actuator motors by overdriving them up and down. Without an indicator, my only choice is to hold down the switch for enough time that I think will take the trim tabs all the way up or down. I would like to think that Lenco builds in motor protection but that might only be in their black box??

Archived