geeviam

RF 16 owners - I need a measurement - please

I need a favor, if any late model Redfisher 16 owners (2013 or later with a F90 or F115 or VF115) have a chance to check a measurement for me.  I'd like to know the distance on the transom from the top of the pocket to the center of the top mounting bolt (hole), as shown in red in the attached photo.  Thanks in advance for any help with this.

Gary

thumbnail?id=1gCfoaXgv0SAacO-CBoPd0iw98u

2 hours ago, Wanaflatsfish said:

This is a first...just curious? Why?

DC

Long story, but the short version is... the boat in the picture is not by boat, but the motor in the picture is my current motor.  I ordered a new Guide Green boat and the dealer ordered Atlantic Blue by mistake.  So, I had the dealer re-order another boat with identical specs in the correct color, and waited 8 additional weeks to get it.  It was important to me that the motor was factory installed, but I found out that the dealer re-ordered just the boat and took the motor off the Atlantic Blue boat and installed it on my new Guide Green boat after it arrived from the factory.  I think the motor mount holes in my transom were drilled too high by the dealer, but the only measurement comparison I have so far is with my friend's 2007 Redfisher 16.  His motor mount holes are 3/4" lower than mine.  I just need a measurement on a newer model RF 16 to really know.  I almost refused delivery of the boat when I found out the motor was moved from the other boat, but when my wife and I went to the dealership and saw how beautiful it was, we took it home, lol.

53 minutes ago, HoneyB said:

Just curious, was there a hull change in 2013?

Actually, there was not a change in the hull, just the deck and top cap. So, really, the measurements from any year will do. Just need several to verify

Well the reason I asked is I have a 16 red fisher with a two stroke but you know the bolt pattern should be a standard template. Mine is 16 3/4 inches to the center of the top mounting bolt. 

• Thanks 1

36 minutes ago, HoneyB said:

Well the reason I asked is I have a 16 red fisher with a two stroke but you know the bolt pattern should be a standard template. Mine is 16 3/4 inches to the center of the top mounting bolt. 

Yep, same bolt pattern for all motors.  Thanks for the help HoneyB.

5 hours ago, HoneyB said:

16 3/4" is the same as my friend's 2007 RF 16.  Mine is 17 1/2", with no way to lower the motor on the transom, because it's already in the top hole.  No wonder I had a constant prop blowout problem in turns from day one, until I rigged a jackplate with an adjustable setback spacer to get the prop down into cleaner water.  Now I want to remove the jackplate, so I'm going to have to fix this issue before remounting the motor.

14 minutes ago, HoneyB said:

I would think if Hewes agrees to the holes being drilled wrong the dealer would have to make it right. 

You're right. But at this point, so long after the fact, I'll probably avoid the hassle with my dealer so far away, and just pay a professional glass man to fill in and gelcoat the holes like it never happened, and re-drill new ones.

I have the wrong boat and year you are asking for, 2005 21', but just had to check for feces and chuckles.  About 16 3/4" on mine.  With the boat having a jackplate,under a cover, and backed up to a fence it was difficult to get an exact reading.  I know it was not the boat you were asking about but the back end is about the same as the 16'. 

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, mulligan said:

I have the wrong boat and year you are asking for, 2005 21', but just had to check for feces and chuckles.  About 16 3/4" on mine.  With the boat having a jackplate,under a cover, and backed up to a fence it was difficult to get an exact reading.  I know it was not the boat you were asking about but the back end is about the same as the 16'. 

Thanks Mulligan!  I appreciate you taking the time to check the measurement.  It does look like all the 2xxx Redfishers back ends are about the same at the transom pocket.  I'm not sure, but guessing the beam on the RF 21 is the same as the the RF 18, at 7'11".  The beam on my RF 16 is 7'02" and the pocket is 14" front to back (setback).  I should have posted this question a long time ago.  Should-uh, could-uh, would-uh...  😞  It's becoming obvious that this botched bolt hole drilling has had me chasing my tail, trying to stabilize the ride and stop the prop ventilation in turns, since I took delivery of the boat.  I haven't even mentioned until now that the bolt hole on the port side of the transom was drilled 1/16" higher than the starboard side, which I compensated for when drilling new holes in the 2.5" setback spacer plates I added between the 5" jack plate and the transom.  A 1/16" difference might seem minor, but it made the prop off center of the keel!  So, I'm running a 7 1/2" jack plate setback on my little RF 16!  I did that to get the prop as low and as far back as possible, for better grip in turns.  I've got to reduce some of the stern squat caused by all the motor weight hanging so far back.  IMO, the RF 16 hull with the 14" setback built into the pocket, is really not designed for use with a jack plate.  An ultra-light 4" Bob's Flats Jack or 4" Atlas Micro-jacker is about the most it can handle.  But, I think "no jack plate" is best for minimum draft at rest, and optimal bow rise at high speed.

Edited by geeviam
update

1 minute ago, HoneyB said:

So when will the transom transformation begin?

Soon.  I want to get it done before Spring.  I will update this thread when it's finished and water tested.  Thanks again for your help.

On my '04 16' with a 115 yamaha the top hole is 16 3/4" up from the pocket.  the motor is mounted in that top hole and is right up against the metal (aluminum) trip on the transom.

BTW, looks like your up near Kennesaw; I'm in Sandy Springs and been interested in meeting some other Hewes and MBG folks around this area.

44 minutes ago, Limitless said:

On my '04 16' with a 115 yamaha the top hole is 16 3/4" up from the pocket.  the motor is mounted in that top hole and is right up against the metal (aluminum) trip on the transom.

BTW, looks like your up near Kennesaw; I'm in Sandy Springs and been interested in meeting some other Hewes and MBG folks around this area.

Thanks for the help Limitless!  Mine has the hard black plastic corner strip on the transom top and the holes are drilled through on the bottom part of it.  So far my bolt holes are 3/4" higher than everyone else.

Do you run your RF 16 on Lake Lanier?  I'd like to run my boat in your area, but it's not an easy drive from the Greenville area where we live.  We run our boat on Lake Keowee and Lake Jocassee mostly.  Hartwell is close too.  PM me with your email address when you get a chance.  Maybe we can plan an Appalachian Redfisher Owners gathering, lol!  I think there are a few more RFs in our area.

On 1/16/2020 at 11:17 AM, geeviam said:

Thanks for the help Limitless!  Mine has the hard black plastic corner strip on the transom top and the holes are drilled through on the bottom part of it.  So far my bolt holes are 3/4" higher than everyone else.

Do you run your RF 16 on Lake Lanier?  I'd like to run my boat in your area, but it's not an easy drive from the Greenville area where we live.  We run our boat on Lake Keowee and Lake Jocassee mostly.  Hartwell is close too.  PM me with your email address when you get a chance.  Maybe we can plan an Appalachian Redfisher Owners gathering, lol!  I think there are a few more RFs in our area.

I'm in greenville, SC...I race sailboats often on Hartwell, Keowee, and Lanier and am a member at Keowee Sailing Club.  I'm up there a good bit with my RF16.  will PM you my email addy if you guys ever want to schedule a meetup.

• Like 1