OUCH! Is this a Member's Hewes?

flatwater

Well this thread escalated pretty quick.

Redfisher, I truly hope you either get a successful buyer or able to fix the boat. One of my best friends is a amazing fibergl*** guy and i know hiring him would fix it but it would be expensive. he wanted the motor for his Lappy and I wanted the other gear.

Don't get a bad impression on the forum, I think its a great resource and if you do rebuild the boat, we all want to see your journey to make it a great boat again.

Unfortunately this thread went a little too far before we discovered it...I apologize...I will be deleting multiple posts in this thread...We do not allow any personal attacks on the forum...

Please note the little exclamation mark button at the bottom of each post...If anyone on the forum believes a post should be reviewed and/or deleted by the Moderators please click on this button...Thank you...

MOD2

The vast majority of the people on this forum will be helpful to you and/or point you in the right direction...Please note the negative posts have been deleted and if anyone posts additional negative posts they will be either warned or banned immediately depending on the post...

If any one wishes to make any personal remarks you can PM the person you wish to make them to or keep it to yourself...And if the recipient of the personal post wishes they may block the person permanently from PMing them in the future...

MOD 2

Believe me I know the real world. I deal with it everyday I go to work. I'm far from butt hurt about you disagreeing with me. I came here to maybe look for someone with a hull, good fibergl*** guy. Unfortunately before I could ask for help I came across this thread and figured I'd try and clear the air since you don't know me or my situation. If I don't find the right buy at the price that's worth it for me to sell, no problem, I have the money and will get my mistake fixed. If you aren't the guy that's gona buy it at what I want for it and don't have any useful information for me then you're wasting my time. I've always heard this was a decent forum with decent information not just full of guys who are looking for their next flip.

There are a few that hang around boating forums ready to pounce on someone else's unfortunate circumstances to make a buck.

Mostly tho, there are a lot of good and knowledgable dudes on here willing to help. I have been a member for 12 or so years and have made some good friends during that time. As I said before, keep it and hang around and meet some good guys.

As a side note, put a price out there. You said in your ad looking for offers which is setting yourself up for low ballers. Also don't take low ball offers personally. I was offered a riding mower and 2 surf boards for my Lappy that wasn't wrecked.

Thanks to those with positive words and wanting to help. I am leaning more and more towards having it fixed up, just trying to swallow the cost and its gaging me. If anyone knows of good trustworthy fibergl*** shop please share so I can send them pictures and get a quote. Also considering getting an old hull if I can find one and outing my stuff on it.

We had a similar situation happen many years ago with a Ranger b*** boat. Purchased a NEW tandem axle trailer for the boat and the dealer didn't align it properly with the right tongue weight. The think kept swaying left and right and actually broke the grip on the ball causing it to loosen up from the nut. My dad was pulling the boat thru atlanta and I was behind him when all of the sudden the trailer just started rolling toward the median. It hit the rail, came off the trailer and slid down the emergency lane for a bit. Lots of trailer and boat damage. We got the trailer and boat to a frame shop where they got the trailer road worthy and strapped the boat on it. Got to Lake Wales and dropped the boat off at a gl*** shop to get it water worthy. Lost about 4 days of fishing with our boat but were able to fish with buddies. It fished fine. Was a 79 hull. Wreck happened in 92. Just sold the boat a month ago.

Have a buddy buying wrecked boats at insurance auctions and fixing them up. He got a Phoenix that is incredible and runs like nothing I've ever been in.

Needless to say, I'm not afraid to run and fish out of salvaged/rebuilt boats. Get her running and have some fun.

Thanks to those with positive words and wanting to help. I am leaning more and more towards having it fixed up, just trying to swallow the cost and its gaging me. If anyone knows of good trustworthy fibergl*** shop please share so I can send them pictures and get a quote. Also considering getting an old hull if I can find one and outing my stuff on it.

I would suggest you follow your last idea.

Strip the entire vessel from engine, to console to poling platform to trim tabs to batteries to electrical wiring for the TM.

Look for a new hull that's got aging motor, etc. or blown power head.

Putting another $5K into the hull plus $3K for a decent trailer may be a wash for another Lappy and do a repower....

Resale value on a hull that's been that damaged will be maybe what's it costs.

You are between a rock and hard place....you could have stringer damage someday after that bashing, transom issues, etc. it's hard to know what can come up when you've been in that kind of accident and it hit hard. Things might now show up for a year or more or after a rough pounding in to a chop...just hard to know..no matter the repairs.

Fix what you know vs. look for something older that you don't.

Either way your looking at $8-9K for the fix up and may be 7-$10K for an old lappy hull with a new trailer.

See the 95' bay fisher post...asking $9750 with trailer.

options:

Buy the boat for $9K, install your motor and TM and batteries, etc.

Sell your tower = $200

Sell console = $200

Sell old TM on BF = $500

Sell older 2 stroke = $1200

Sell trim tabs etc = $200

Total sales: $2500

Net = $7500

Vs fix up....it's a hard decision....I guess it all depends on how well the repair goes....

Dc

Really a bummer about insurance. I think if you get an estimate from a good fg guy, it will probably exceed 10k. Labor!

I had damage like yours to the rail and deck and the guys who did the work were magicians I think. I was stunned at the quality of the repair, but it wasn't cheap.

marty0523@gmail.com Marty Larmann is in North Cape Coral. My Boat U S insurance adjuster recommended him. Not sure if they are still there. He used to build Action Craft boats and might have gone back to that since they are building again. Good luck!

Ok let's clear some things up since this is my boat.

First, boat was secured to the trailer with straps. They failed. They hooks bent straight in the back, and the front strap snapped

Second, insurance was in the process of being finalized. Probably shouldn't have taken it out the couple times I have but I couldn't wait. So yea that was stupid

As far as the price goes it is slightly high for 2 reasons. One is I'd rather fix it and have it back to use. And second is to start slightly high and come down for all you guys who watched some tv show where they got some item for 1/2 it's value and flipped it for double what it's worth and think you can do it because you saw it on tv or read about it in a forum.

To say the rig is worth 7 max is crazy. The motor is worth 7-8 it's self. I have the receipt from 11/09/2013 for $12,457.88 and that doesn't include the extra 3 years of warranty. The motor has 245 hours and has been regularly serviced, receipts to prove. It has a 4 blade Power tech stainless prop plus 2 additional 3 blade stainless props

The one month old power pole pro is worth 1,200 (atleast) and the trolling motor and 2 new group 27 batteries are worth $800 so there's another 2k.

The hull has newer hinges and brand new seals on all hatches. Trim tabs, a brand new helm sea decked polling platform, a front casting platform also seadecked, and a new 30 gallon fuel tank installed by Isla Marine on 4/15/2015 receipt for $2,633.21. So I feel comfortable saying even wrecked it's worth 2-3k

I think 10-12k is more than fair. Sorry it's not the deal you saw on tv once. I'm sure whoever bought it would fix it and it would be on Craigslist for 20k. I looked for months before buying this boat and I wish I would have seen Hewes at the prices y'all say.

Considering all the improvements on the rig, I think I would have it repaired if it is in your budget. It's a nice hull, and the cost to fix her will probably be cheaper than selling and purchasing another. You will be hard pressed to find a "hull only" to start over with. If you can get the right person to do the work you will have a good one. To bad about the insurance. Nothing wrong with a repaired boat if it's done right. If you don't believe that, look at Reel Locos' rig. As good and, I hesitate to say, maybe better than new. That being said, it is only a matter of crunching some numbers to see if you can make it happen. Meanwhile, I'm just down the road in Naples if you need to stretch a line.

IMHO

Strip that ***er. Realistically, the hull is probably worth $1,500 bucks.....tops. Most people will be reluctant to take on the risk of redoing a boat that has sustained that type of damage.

Looking at the damage, you'll need to find another 18' redfisher cap to cut and paste into the damaged area. You could fix it without using another cap, but you'd end up with a Frankenstein fix, it would be easily noticeable. Without seeing all the damage, I'm ***uming you would likely have to remove the cap and fix some of the damage internally..

I anticipate most of the good gl*** guys will turn down this type work, because they know they won't be able to get that cap looking right.

[image]http://images.craigslist.org/00w0w_68bcsReKL8p_600x450.jpg[/image]

The hardest part of the repair is the orange peel nonskid. It will not blend with anything. You have to redo all of the nonskid

Don't want to cause a rift, but my guy has a stack of pattern samples to for just about anything.

He used to build A-Crafts. He just ordered the sheet and I swear, it is a perfect match. Really, you can't see the repair. Marty re-did about 1/4 of the starboard bow nonskid and I would challenge anyone to tell the difference. Even the bright work was flawless.

However, you are probably right about maybe not getting someone to take the job. Mine was insured, and paid what it took to do the job. And he might not even be doing repairs anymore. Just throwing out options.

The hull has newer hinges and brand new seals on all hatches. Trim tabs, a brand new helm sea decked polling platform, a front casting platform also seadecked, and a new 30 gallon fuel tank installed by Isla Marine on 4/15/2015 receipt for $2,633.21.

Missed that one..if you decided to strip..take the tank...it could be worth about 1/4 of that that as the other was most likely labor..

you might be able to find a place to do some consignment....if you don't have time to sell yourself on ebay etc.

I really feel sorry for your situation...

dc

Really a bummer about insurance. I think if you get an estimate from a good fg guy, it will probably exceed 10k. Labor!

I had damage like yours to the rail and deck and the guys who did the work were magicians I think. I was stunned at the quality of the repair, but it wasn't cheap.

marty0523@gmail.com Marty Larmann is in North Cape Coral. My Boat U S insurance adjuster recommended him. Not sure if they are still there. He used to build Action Craft boats and might have gone back to that since they are building

again. Good luck!

(239) 707-1179

Archived