Performance with Fiberglass T-Top

Tiki Man

I have a 2400 TRS with a fibergl*** hardtop. I'm running a 19 pitch prop and only turning 5,100 RPM and 46 MPH with medium load at wide open throttle. I expected about 5,700 RPM and 50+ MPH.

Does anyone else have performance experience with a 2400 TRS and fibergl*** hardtop to share?

I have a new 2400TRS with a factory hard top and a 21" pitch Yamaha 4-blade prop. Not sure which series. I max out at about 5100rpm and right at 50mph at normal trim and elevation. Am working with Marcus (Funky Monkey) of Powertech to test a few others. Am starting with a ported OFX 18" and hope to have some results on it this weekend. I have the 250SHO motor.

I am running the Yamaha 300HP with a PowerTech OFX 4-blade 19" pitch prop. I'm not expecting to run 60 MPH but I'm concerned that I'm only running 5100 RPM which might equate to 250HP or less. I also might be burning a lot of extra fuel at mid-range RPM.

Later today I'm going to run the boat with the Jack plate up 3" and trim the motor the best I can. Details to follow.

Well, I was able to get the numbers up with some trimming. I ran with 1/2 tank of fuel and 2 people on board. There was a 12 MPH wind at my rear quarter. So yes, I did benefit from a tailwind but at least I got 5800 RPM which was my main concern.

Jack Plate at 3.5"

Motor Trim at 5 to 6 bars (about 50-60%)

Trim Tabs down enough to stop porpoising

These trim settings were about as extreme as I could go with this boat setup.

3000 RPM - 23 MPH

4000 RPM - 32 MPH

4500 RPM - 41 MPH

5000 RPM - 47 MPH

5700 RPM - 53 MPH (2nd run)

5800 RPM - 50 MPH (1st run)

I know we are talking about two different motors and boats, but I tried every combination of trim and jack-plate setting on my rig. Mine runs faster at 1.5 on jack plate. At 1.5 I can trim the motor further up and get another mph and a few more RPM's.

Just something to think about. If you jack to 3.5 you might be limiting how much you can trim without blowing the prop out.

Archived