Difference between Hewes and Pathfinder

quest4reds

49 minutes ago, whichwaysup said:

Q4R, The more I read, the more you need a Master Angler . . . but thats because my boat IS better (now that it is one pice again. . .) .   

But you pay a premium for MAs, and they arent getting any younger.   

I'm gonna need some convincing, just let me know time and place, and I'll be there to be convinced with fishing rods in hand.  I seem to remember you like something called "HOPPYUM" and it comes in packages of six, am I remembering correctly?

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, HoneyB said:

Point of note: I went with a friend today to put hours on a new zuke. 2006 20 pathy. Floor was dry all day. Not telling u it’s any better than any other boat. It’s just an observation. 

Actually have an eye on a 20 Pathy, spoke to seller and all, just need to decide if I want to go that direction and then arrange a meeting to look at it. 

9 minutes ago, whichwaysup said:

Hey all - 

Has anyone looked at this boat?   It seems like it's been out there for sale for a long time, now, but description sounds good and the motor has relatively low hours.   Are there obvious issues with it?

https://www.boattrader.com/listing/2003-maverick-21-master-angler-103414177/

Its listed on here too.  I am currently talking with the seller.

19 hours ago, JakeK said:

What is a radbud?

The "Rabuds"  ( I misspelled) are the ball/check valve type setup used on the outside of the scuppers that carry the floor drain water.  Sometimes when in reverse or if enough weight gets shifted to one side we can get water back up through the floor drains.  The boats build with floor drains below the water line can be susceptible to water intrusion.  The Rabuds help reduce or eliminate the issue.  https://www.rabud.com/portfolio/seascuppers

I think it is a personal preference....I don't think that there is a whole lot of difference....you could argue this or that....but for me,  I have owned 91 Maverick deluxe,  2008 Pathfinder 2200 TE and now a Pathfinder 1810.  Personally I prefer standing up in a boat while driving as to sitting.  I think that sitting all those years is the root of my back issues.  Just my personal opinion.  I know longer have the back  issues while standing up driving.

22 minutes ago, Redrum said:

I think it is a personal preference....I don't think that there is a whole lot of difference....you could argue this or that....but for me,  I have owned 91 Maverick deluxe,  2008 Pathfinder 2200 TE and now a Pathfinder 1810.  Personally I prefer standing up in a boat while driving as to sitting.  I think that sitting all those years is the root of my back issues.  Just my personal opinion.  I know longer have the back  issues while standing up driving.

This is a good point as I already have back issues.  I only recently learned that MA's are pretty much a sit-down-to-drive type of console.

18 minutes ago, quest4reds said:

I only recently learned that MA's are pretty much a sit-down-to-drive type of console.

I believe that is "as a Rule?"  I've seen MAs that have stand up consoles that had to be custom install.  I believe I just saw a 21MA posted somewhere that was a stand up console with a tower/second station.

I like standing up as well and Sea Deck at the helm is a big help.  I do like to sit from time to time if a long glassy run but for the most part I'm standing.  

13 hours ago, MasterAngler772 said:

I have no issues sitting or standing to drive my 17ft MA. Both are very comfortable and I’m 6’1. 

I agree with HoneyB MA all the way!! But really you can’t go wrong with any you are considering. 

So you're not slouching or hunched over driving the MA while standing?  The console seems a bit on the short side. 

In all honesty, I think I'll end up standing while driving most of the time unless I'm on a long run in an area I know doesn't have obstructions (crab pots, semi-submerged trees, etc).  I fish in a couple places where the crab pots are always in new spots and there are LOTS of them, not to mention standing will give me a better vantage point to see floating debris that may damage the boat if hit at high speeds.  Maybe the booster seat idea I had IOT see over the console might actually be something I should consider, however embarrassing it might be.  Will have to think of a better name for it than "booster seat".  Seating Enhancement Aft Support (SEAT), or Driver Enhancement Assist Device (DEAD), or maybe Stern Housing Observation Raising Tower (SHORT).  Perhaps y'all can come up with a better name for it.

32 minutes ago, rubble said:

Is a Hewes LT 18’ an option?  I know if a gem that will be on the market fairly soon. 

To be honest, I don't know anything about them, so for that reason is has not been an option thus far.  I just googled and it looks like it was the precursor to the Pathfinder line, essentially a bay boat that could get skinny.  Am I anywhere close? 

Well all, I still haven't found one, but I've got some leads.  whichwaysup offered to let me experience his MA, hopefully we'll do that this Friday, and this weekend I'm going to look at a Pathfinder 20' for sale in SC.  I don't expect a sea trial on the Pathy unfortunately, it's a bit out of my price range but the seller is willing to let me look it over so I can get a good feel for how the bay boats are set up.  I was thinking maybe trash talk the ride compared to MAs and RFs and see if I can guilt him into taking me out to prove me wrong, LOL.  Should be a good week.

12 hours ago, quest4reds said:

Well all, I still haven't found one, but I've got some leads.  whichwaysup offered to let me experience his MA, hopefully we'll do that this Friday, and this weekend I'm going to look at a Pathfinder 20' for sale in SC.  I don't expect a sea trial on the Pathy unfortunately, it's a bit out of my price range but the seller is willing to let me look it over so I can get a good feel for how the bay boats are set up.  I was thinking maybe trash talk the ride compared to MAs and RFs and see if I can guilt him into taking me out to prove me wrong, LOL.  Should be a good week.

Don't know where it is in SC but if it's around the Greenville area (where I'm at), I'll be glad to assist however if you need anything.

On 1/10/2020 at 9:53 AM, rubble said:

The "Rabuds"  ( I misspelled) are the ball/check valve type setup used on the outside of the scuppers that carry the floor drain water.  Sometimes when in reverse or if enough weight gets shifted to one side we can get water back up through the floor drains.  The boats build with floor drains below the water line can be susceptible to water intrusion.  The Rabuds help reduce or eliminate the issue.  https://www.rabud.com/portfolio/seascuppers

Aaahh.  Got it.  I just bought a Seachoice version of that to go on my livewell drain since I mostly use it as an fish icebox chest and it will backfill from the drain when the boat is stationary....meaning I have to open the lid and pull the plug when at speed to get it dry again before ice can go in...which is not fun.

Q4R...  Might be a stretch but if you want to head up to KY, you are welcome to try out my 2000V PF.  We have a big lake right here about 10 minutes from my warehouse.  It might be a little chilly...  or unseasonably warm.  It's KY.  We had 33f this morning and may hit 70 today.  Crazy weather.  

4 minutes ago, rubble said:

Q4R...  Might be a stretch but if you want to head up to KY, you are welcome to try out my 2000V PF.  We have a big lake right here about 10 minutes from my warehouse.  It might be a little chilly...  or unseasonably warm.  It's KY.  We had 33f this morning and may hit 70 today.  Crazy weather.  

Weather sounds a lot like NC!!!

17 minutes ago, JakeK said:

Don't know where it is in SC but if it's around the Greenville area (where I'm at), I'll be glad to assist however if you need anything.

I appreciate the offer, but the one I'm looking at is in Murrell's Inlet, SC by the coast.  Just under 2hrs drive for me.  Thank you for the offer.

2 hours ago, HoneyB said:

Are you going to check out the 22 in Charleston  Craig’s  while your down that way? Four stroke in your price range but with 150 it’s not gonna fly. 

No the boat I am going to look at is a 20' and it's in Murrells Inlet which is just over 2 hours north of Charleston so it'd be over 4 hours drive. I don't think I saw it listed on here.  By Craig's, do you mean Craigslist or the owner's name is Craig?