Difference between Hewes and Pathfinder

quest4reds

Hey all, 

First post although I've been perusing the site for well over a year now, especially as of late.  Not an MBG boat owner yet, but I'm hoping to be soon.  Current boat is a Gheenoe 15'6" Classic w/tiller 20hp Tohatsu outboard, it's all the budget would allow five years ago when I bought it.  It has served it's purpose getting me on the water and getting some fish out of it, but for obvious reasons it has it's limitations and I'm getting tired of getting beat up and wet in just about anything other than glass flat conditions.  That being the case, along with a bigger although modest budget, I am looking to upgrade.

One of my buddies had a 2006 Hewes Redfisher 18' w/115hp attached and we went out several times fishing on it.  I was also good enough to offer to take care of it when he was overseas for 6 months by taking it out and running it for him, and that's when I fell in love.  Yes I said "had", just before my budget was in a place to make an offer to take it off his hands he sold it and got a Hobie kayak (Crazy right?  But that's another story all together).  So that has lead me here.

I primarily fish inshore with occasional trips to some lakes, and would love to be able to get out of the inlets on the right days in pursuit of some near shore fishing.  I'd like to keep my purchase at $24k or less and am looking for something in the 18' to 22' range.  I am usually solo on my fishing trips, however, I feel this may have something to do with my current boat not filling passengers with great confidence that we'll return to shore safely due to the small stature of the vessel.  I have two sons, and at least one of them has a bit of the fishing bug.

I have been actively looking for boats for the past few weeks and have found some 18' and 21' Redfishers, and some 20' and 22' Pathfinders that look pretty good.  It appears to me that the Hewes Redfishers seem to have a cost premium on them and certain models of the Pathfinder, like a couple 19 footers I found, were more moderately priced, some were downright cheap in my humble opinion.  I have been trying to look at the owners manuals for the Hewes and Pathfinder boats to find the specs for each, primarily deadrise and weight to see if there is something that would lead me to a major ride difference in the two that may explain the discrepancy in pricing.  From what I've found, and correct me if I'm wrong, the Redfishers have a shallower deadrise, about 13 degrees and are heavier that similar sized Pathfinders which have a slightly greater deadrise angle at about 15 degrees.  So I am thinking the rides should be similar.

Would love to hear some of your thoughts on the comparison between the Hewes and the Pathfinder models, the capabilities of each, any limitations or known issues with certain models or years, or any other information that should be considered.  I appreciate your time.

Matt

It’s about how and where you fish.  If you fish in skinny,  protected waters then a flats boat is likely your best choice. If you fish or cross, open, sometime rough bays, then a bay boat will be a better choice.

The bay boat will also allow you to take more passengers.  You can take either boat, out front, on the right day.

3 minutes ago, Bamaskeet said:

It’s about how and where you fish.  If you fish in skinny,  protected waters then a flats boat is likely your best choice. If you fish or cross, open, sometime rough bays, then a bay boat will be a better choice.

The bay boat will also allow you to take more passengers.  You can take either boat, out front, on the right day.

I'd say it's about a 60/40 split between protected skinny waters and wide open lakes bays or large rivers, longest run in my current rig has been about six miles but that will increase with my new boat.  It looks like the draft is almost the same on either.  The major differences I see are capacities, like HP, passengers and fuel.  Does the Pathfinder really handle the chop that much better than a Redfisher?  

I honestly think what you are seeing in pricing the Used boats is people’s loyalty to a brand and to a size range in said brand. 
 Start with the Hewes Redfisher. Produced for years in Florida. 16 , 18.5 and 20 or 21 foot. 21 I think. A legend but baby bear says the 16 is good but too small ... papa bear says the 21 is awesome but a little to big where he fishes but mamma bear loves the 18.5.  Holy crap it’s the perfect size fishes skinny carry’s the whole family to the sand bar and can get out front on a good day. The larger Hewes is the BOMB!!

Now the pathfinder 19 footer 20 footer mehhh everyone wants the 24 some opt to save some coin and buy the 22. The 19 and 20 of yesterday year not sought after The way the larger ones are. 

When you price a 19 pathfinder to a 18 to 20 Hewes you are seeing that entry pathfinder vs the cream of the crop Hewes brand. 

about the boats now. Hewes Boats are rode on and fishes on topside. Pathfinder is rode in and fished more in the boat than on the boat. Pathfinder taller stand up console Hewes small sit down close to the water 45 feels like 65 mph kinda boat. If you pole or. Want to the lower freeboard  of the Hewes might be better if you want to cross the sound or bay  more often than not the pathfinder may be your choice. 
  Going from your current sled I’m pretty sure you will love either boat. Find a nice one with the best motor  you can and buy it now. Trust me the boats you are looking at now will be 2 grand higher in 3 months or less. 

• Like 2

Thanks HoneyB, this is what I was looking for.  I had my suspicions that the prices I was seeing were due to exactly what you just said, but I wanted to make sure there wasn't some hidden flaw that I needed to know about.  For what it's worth, I do not pole, and don't see myself poling as I don't think I can pole and fish at the same time.

I have not been around thes brands as long as a lot of people have. I have not seen what I would call a repeatable issue with the Hewes or the Pathfinder. Some older boats have common issues old mako rotten transom just the way it is. I have not seen people making common repair to any hews or pathfinder. No bad transom’s no week floors and the like. 

I currently own a 2005 Pathfinder 22 tournament and a 2013 Hewes 18 redfisher (both for sale right now), and have also had a 21 redfisher. 

To me, the hewes 18 has a nice ride and a solid feel, and obviously being newer feels more refined. The pathfinder certainly has the bay boat feel, but when the wind kicks up the trim tabs are a must. They really help that hull get the bow down. 

For my style of fishing I prefer a flats boat with open decks. 

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, linesider 159 said:

I currently own a 2005 Pathfinder 22 tournament and a 2013 Hewes 18 redfisher (both for sale right now), and have also had a 21 redfisher. 

To me, the hewes 18 has a nice ride and a solid feel, and obviously being newer feels more refined. The pathfinder certainly has the bay boat feel, but when the wind kicks up the trim tabs are a must. They really help that hull get the bow down. 

For my style of fishing I prefer a flats boat with open decks. 

I'm guessing your 2013 Hewes is a little more than my $24k budget, but I'd sure love to see it anyway.  I make a pretty mean brisket if I can use that as currency, LOL!

4 minutes ago, linesider 159 said:

😁 The 2013 Hewes id sell for 26500 (brisket would be nice lol) and it comes with ipilot, garmin, powerpole, and a literally brand new trailer. The pathfinder id sell for 24k.

20191204_174022.jpg

Man that is a beautiful rig.  Where in FL are you located?  Would you mind sending the links to the classifieds for them?

10 hours ago, quest4reds said:

I have been actively looking for boats for the past few weeks and have found some 18' and 21' Redfishers, and some 20' and 22' Pathfinders that look pretty good.  It appears to me that the Hewes Redfishers seem to have a cost premium on them and certain models of the Pathfinder, like a couple 19 footers I found, were more moderately priced, some were downright cheap in my humble opinion.  I have been trying to look at the owners manuals for the Hewes and Pathfinder boats to find the specs for each, primarily deadrise and weight to see if there is something that would lead me to a major ride difference in the two that may explain the discrepancy in pricing.  From what I've found, and correct me if I'm wrong, the Redfishers have a shallower deadrise, about 13 degrees and are heavier that similar sized Pathfinders which have a slightly greater deadrise angle at about 15 degrees.  So I am thinking the rides should be similar.

Just my opinion, but I think the reason you might find a low-priced used Pathfinder 1900-v, is because they have excessive beam and are not known for a stable ride, and trim tabs are a must.  A boat with a 8'6" beam should be a minimum of 22 feet LOA, to perform best.  The beam on the Hewes Redfisher 18 is more in line at 7'11".  If I had a choice between the Pathfinder 1900-v or the Redfisher 18, the Redfisher 18 is the hands-down winner.  Awesome dry storage space in the RF 18 too!  I must disclose that I am a happy Redfisher 16 owner, so my opinion may be slightly biased.  😎

• Like 3

I run a 2006 20’ Pathfinder. Notorious for being sensitive to stern weight.  Tabs ARE a must for this boat.  Not a problem.  Just makes for a better ride.  

I don’t fish a lot but I fish a lot of different ways:  Ledge Fish the TN River system.  Fish frogs in the pads and mats.  Shiner fish Kissimmee and Big O.  Fish inside and out in the Glades.  Bay and Jetty fish around Naples.  Looking to fish some in the Boca Grande and Pine Island area.  Also fish in Venice, LA making the long run from marina to the ends of the main passes (50 mile runs).  Bay Boat isn’t perfect but can handle about all of that.  I can only afford one boat and in my 5 years or so of research to replace my glitter/carpet boat,  I figured the Bay Boat would give me more fishable opportunities.  Meaning there would be days I could take the bay boat out that would probably keep a redfisher or Master Angler at home;  although, my BiL had an 18MA and he could run in about anything I could with my Pathy but it just wasn’t as comfortable to do so.  Would love to have a MA or even a RF but I think that it would limit me or cramp things a bit.  

As for lockable storage, I purchased a Pathy from a guide in TX.  It was a program boat and the title actually came from MHP, IIRC. Bare bones.  Not many options.  He hadn’t used it much. Only had 50 hours in a year.  He was fishing the marshes in a Tech Skiff more than hitting the rivers and bays.  Only had one or two lockable compartments so I changed them all out to lockable.  Couldn’t store long rods in the lockers so had to cut out a hole in the front bulkhead walls so that my 7-8 foot rods could be stowed and locked.  The tips run up in the anchor locker.  I keep the anchor elsewhere so it doesn’t bounce around breaking all the tips.  I may eventually put tubes in there to better protect the rods as they can really get tangled if not in socks.  Just returned from FL and had 8 rods all in one side.  It also housed a gaff, anchor light, plastics for jigs and some other fishing tools.  So it has decent size rod boxes (just short).

Everything is a compromise.  So cliche but it really is.  I live in KY.  We have some snow and ice here. The debate when purchasing automobiles is always 4x4, AWD, FWD or does it matter?  We only use 4x4 about 10% of the time but it is a must for us.  Got to get to work.  We compromise a little comfort and efficiency for necessity.  Plus we get more room and can haul trailers.  

Deciding how you fish and how much you will want to do it will help determine what will be best for you.  A 20 Pathfinder has been great for me.  No real complaints.  Would like to not have water back up in the scuppers (yes, I use radbuds) but it’s a boat so I deal with it. Would like to have a larger deck to fish off of but a larger boat would create some storage issues.  The MA and RF have plenty of deck to fish off of.  The older MA I fished in also had some water in the deck issues.  Was a battle ship tho!  Best of luck.  Hope you find something you can enjoy.  One thing is for sure, you are looking in the right place.

• Like 2

Q4R, good to see you on here.   If you are ready, lets coordinate a dawn patrol and let you experience mt MA, which will give you a feel for the redfisher.   You will have to find someone with a pathy to get the bayboat experience.   Shoot me a note if you are interested and we can lock down a day/time.  

• Like 1

19 hours ago, geeviam said:

Just my opinion, but I think the reason you might find a low-priced used Pathfinder 1900-v, is because they have excessive beam and are not known for a stable ride, and trim tabs are a must.  A boat with a 8'6" beam should be a minimum of 22 feet LOA, to perform best.  The beam on the Hewes Redfisher 18 is more in line at 7'11".  If I had a choice between the Pathfinder 1900-v or the Redfisher 18, the Redfisher 18 is the hands-down winner.  Awesome dry storage space in the RF 18 too!  I must disclose that I am a happy Redfisher 16 owner, so my opinion may be slightly biased.  😎

I have to say this little 16 Redfisher I bought in the winter  feels pretty dang solid. Tuning in the little choppy waves on the inside you really do not know they are there.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, HoneyB said:

I have to say this little 16 Redfisher I bought in the winter  feels pretty dang solid. Tuning in the little choppy waves on the inside you really do not know they are there.

I'm with ya!  I've had mine in some serious chop with white caps, and was able to tab down the bow and smooth out the ride.  The RF 16 has a little more glass layup and weight in it compared to the ultra light skinny skiffs, but that's why it rides so well with its modified vee.  But it can still get up and go 52 mph - PDQ!  ☺️

• Like 1

Both are great boats, one a flat and the other a bay. My choice would be the pathy in 22’. Seldom use tabs, smooth dry ride and solid for off shore use. Lots of storage. Better as a family boat imo. I run a lot of open water with no problem. The RF is also great but not so much  a family friendly boat more so with young kids. Strongly suggest you look at both of 159’s boats. He jumps his sleds in great conditions and knows is stuff. A good go to person. Best of luck, fin😀️.

25 minutes ago, fin-addict said:

Both are great boats, one a flat and the other a bay. My choice would be the pathy in 22’. Seldom use tabs, smooth dry ride and solid for off shore use. Lots of storage. Better as a family boat imo. I run a lot of open water with no problem. The RF is also great but not so much  a family friendly boat more so with young kids. Strongly suggest you look at both of 159’s boats. He jumps his sleds in great conditions and knows is stuff. A good go to person. Best of luck, fin😀️.

I have contacted him already, about 5 minutes after I saw the pic of his RF on here.  Appreciate the input.

I'm going to try and avoid the "my boat is better" part of this discussion (I have an RF16 and love it)...for what it's worth, the RF16 and RF18 both are rated to carry four people max.  It's why I decided on the 16 and I bought a 10 year old boat with a four stroke Yamaha.  I went with the 16 because I travel a lot with it and it's just a little easier to tow around, launch, and retrieve.  I ran 84 miles in the Florida Keys (800 miles each way) last month and topped of the tank mid-week at a marina...it only took 10 gallons and fuel was coming out the overflow 😲.   I frequently fish with my Dad and brother (three on board) and it never feels crowded.  I have had to deal with a number of "boat with age" issues - corroded wiring mostly - but certainly not anything structural.  I'm a boat repair and fiberglass guy who has seen and repaired a lot of manufacturing defects.  I can contest that this boat is built like a tank.

I think I'll eventually want to get a little better reach to go offshore or jetty fishing and the Pathfinder certainly looks up to the task - but certainly for the near future, I'm very happy with my RF16.

I didn't avoid the "my boat is better" bit at all did I? ;-).

• Like 3

14 hours ago, rubble said:

....  Would like to not have water back up in the scuppers (yes, I use radbuds) but it’s a boat so I deal with it. Would like to have a larger deck to fish off of but a larger boat would create some storage issues.  ...

What is a radbud?

Appreciate the kind words fin-addict!

I've owned several redfisher 16's, an 18, a lt20, and a redfisher 21. The 16 and 18 are very good boats, the 21 didn't fit my style (I wanted faster). I think the 18 is my favorite as it drafts similar to the 16 but seems balanced a little better. The 16 is a great riding hull. 

OP, feel free to ask whatever questions, I love discussing inshore boats and quirks. 

Also, I hear a lot of wet floor comments on the pathys but my 22 stays dry, granted I haven't had it really heavy loaded. 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, JakeK said:

I think I'll eventually want to get a little better reach to go offshore or jetty fishing and the Pathfinder certainly looks up to the task - but certainly for the near future, I'm very happy with my RF16.

I didn't avoid the "my boat is better" bit at all did I? ;-).

I hadn't really considered the 16' RF, but it certainly seems like it could handle 95% of what I want to do with it.  I doubt I'd ever have more than two passengers anyway.  I was not aware the passenger capacities were the same.  How is the space between the console and the seat?  If I had anything critical to say about the 06 RF 18' I was on it would be that there is barely enough space to stand there behind the console.  It just seemed cramped to me and my calves were always against the seat while standing and driving.

36 minutes ago, quest4reds said:

I hadn't really considered the 16' RF, but it certainly seems like it could handle 95% of what I want to do with it.  I doubt I'd ever have more than two passengers anyway.  I was not aware the passenger capacities were the same.  How is the space between the console and the seat?  If I had anything critical to say about the 06 RF 18' I was on it would be that there is barely enough space to stand there behind the console.  It just seemed cramped to me and my calves were always against the seat while standing and driving.

I'm not sure how that console to seat space compares but the 16 is cramped there.  I've learned how to stand a little off to the side and have gotten used to it to the point that it's not a bother anymore.  At 5'7", sitting on the couch (they don't have the couch anymore), I can't see well over my console top-mounted SIMRAD unit so I rarely drive from the couch position...but, man, I love the couch when taking a break and having a sammich and a brew.  The way I figure it is that I spend much more time working around on the deck than I do driving so prioritizing the space that way makes sense.

4 minutes ago, JakeK said:

At 5'7", sitting on the couch (they don't have the couch anymore), I can't see well over my console top-mounted SIMRAD unit so I rarely drive from the couch position

Yep.  I used to be 5'8", but jumping out of planes and carrying heavy ruck sacks for 12 years took it's toll and last time I measured I was 5'6".  Dr. explained my back issues were the culprit so that's one of the reason's I am so interested in the ride quality of these boats.  I'm not one to sit at the dock when there is a chop due to a little wind, I just grin, bare it, and soak in the tub later while downing some anti-inflammatories.  I find it very difficult once at the ramp to NOT go out and fish.

So, to your point, I found myself sitting, then trying to stand in order to see, then trying to kneel with one knee on the couch and the other foot on the floor, and repeated this searching for the most comfortable driving position.  I think three inches more behind the console would go a long way, but short of that, I'll need to make an adjustment as you described or find a nice booster seat I can use, LOL! 

I tend to agree about your thought that the console is placed where it is to prioritize fishing/storage space.  Anyone with a RF 21' care to chime in about the space behind your console?