Stress Cracks

fin-addict

first let me say, I feel MBC builds a great product so this is no reflection on them at all.

just read a post about a new boat with stress cracks. do not understand how this is happening.

before purchasing my 03 2200v 2 1/2 years ago, (not 1 stress crack) I had a 95 32' wellcraft exp. not a single stress crack.

it gets under my skin when a owner of a brand new boat developes stress cracks so soon and is told it's only cosmetic after paying that much money on a new boat. can someone explain why so many manuf. are turning out boats with stress cracks so early on.

a friend took delivery of a brand new 24' cat style boat after spending 76k. at time of delivery to his dock, it was counted at least 15 stress cracks were visible at radius turns. he also was told, it's only cosmetic, we will fix it. took three months back at dealer.

In general they are not stress cracks. Stress crack would imply something has been over stressed and caused to crack. These are most likely spider cracks and just gel coat surface cracks.

Yes they are unsightly and I agree I wouldn't want them on my new boat. The cause, I'm sure someone can give a very good reason.

The most common cause of spider cracks is older gelcoat becoming brittle and the pounding/flexing of a boat causes it to crack. On a new boat it is most likely from either issues with the gelcoat itself, gelcoat too thin in the area, or excessive flex where the gel coat cannot handle the flexing.

Generally they are not structural.

A gaping crack you can stick a fingernail in is something that is usually worrysome.

I had an action craft that had them, but it was a 2001 and solid as a brick wall, all 6 of my hewes' have had them in certain areas. My 2007 sterling had 2 or 3, but they were from bumping a dock, not anything flexing. The 2016 obviously doesnt have any since im only at 50 hours so far. My Triton b*** boat had a few, and i cant remember if my nautic star did.

Mostly cosmetic, but very frustrating on a new boat. The most irritating thing is spider cracking is prone to reappearing even after repaired

Id be surprised if you looked in your transom well area and didnt see spider cracks

I've had a Hewes and now a pathfinder. Whether they are spider or stress cracks, both have them. The Hewes on motor well and one fairly large one on top deck and I have a few in the pathfinder deck and gunnels. They were both used when I got them so I knew about them and try don't bother me. Had I bought them new I would have a totally different attitude I'm sure.

Archived