F70 on a 16 Redfisher/Bayfisher?

Bud_man

3 hours ago, Bud_man said:

Hi All,

I was wondering if anyone has tried the new Yamaha F70 on a 16 Redfisher/Bayfisher (smoothside, post 2000)?  With the F70 weighing in at 253 pounds it seems like it could be a good match.  Curious how it would compare with a tired 90 hp 2-stroke.

Cheers,

Bud

The Yamaha F70 is probably the best motor available in its class, due in part, to its 2.33:1 gear ratio.  It would probably push the RF 16 at 36 mph top speed, with one person, a light load, and the right prop.  That's not quite enough power for the RF 16 in my opinion.  If I was going to repower a RF 16 with a 90 hp motor today, my choice would definitely be the Suzuki DF90A at 342 LBS. and a 2.59:1 gear ratio, over the Yamaha F90 at 353 LBS. and a 2.15:1 gear ratio.  IMO, the Suzuki DF90A is the best all-around 90 hp outboard available today.  It's the lightest in its class and generates exceptional torque at the prop, to jump out of the hole.

• Like 1

Restored 1992 Hewes Bonefisher 16 and installed new Yamaha F70 with 3 blade PowerTech prop.  Expect low to mid 30 nmph depending on load.  Removed trim tabs and balanced boat to simply.  Sips gas.  Hole shot is adequate.  Simple and safe. Suburu Outback with 4 cylinder boxer motor pulls tows at highway speed averaging 25 mpg.  All depends on what you want.  

CD05EDC2-A7A2-4F21-8DF9-8B8E6B2D28C8.jpeg

• Like 1

1 hour ago, captcrunch said:

Restored 1992 Hewes Bonefisher 16 and installed new Yamaha F70

That's a great looking Bonefisher 16 - a true classic!  But, it's a totally different boat than a 2xxx Redfisher 16.  The 2xxx RF 16 is 200+ LBS. heavier.  Removing trim tabs from mine?  Never going to happen.

Thanks for all of the responses!  It definitely seems that the F70 would be on the bubble, but might work with lighter loads and the right prop.  

I have seen that the F90 or other 350lb motors do not work well on the older, early 2000 Redfisher/Bonefishers with center fuel tanks - lots of squat, porpoising, etc.  I understand once they moved the fuel tank to the forward hatch the heavier motors worked just fine.  My uncles boat has the center fuel tank.

Decisions, decisions...

Thanks again,

Bud

You will be a lot happer with the 90, I went through through the same issue with my 20ft LT when the 150 2 stroke needed to go.  I called Skip and he reassure me the F115 wouldn't cut it . I went with the F150 and love it .  I don't hot rod,but I like to cruise at 40-4500 rpms and close to 40mphs.  The MPGs are also very good.