99’ bonefisher repower options

Attitudeindicator

Well I picked up a 1999 16’ bonefisher with an 85 yamaha on the back for cheap knowing I would need to re-power down the road. Well I was hoping to get at least a year out of the engine but looks like it going to need to be done sooner than later.

So my dilemma is do I buy a used 2 stroke 90hp for less than 3k and slap that on to keep initial investment low or do I put a new 4 stroke on it. 

How do these boats perform with a 4 stroke? 90 vs 70hp? I was told even though you can put a 90hp on it a 70 hp would be better and save 100lbs on the transom.

Anyone have real experience?

Thanks

I think the rating is 90 HP on that hull, my 1998 Bonefisher was. IF, that's a big if, you can find a Yami 90 hp two stroke that's the way to go weight wise, 285 lbs. However they are carbed engines and DO like gas, for fuel economy go with the 90 eTec or 90 four stroke, there is the weight trade off on the four strokes. I found riding on a friends 16'er (Bayfisher) his 70 four stroke was adequate on plane, but not too quick getting on plane with two guys at 400 - 420 lbs total at the rear seat. He wishes he had went with more HP. Good luck.

36 minutes ago, DonV said:

I think the rating is 90 HP on that hull, my 1998 Bonefisher was. IF, that's a big if, you can find a Yami 90 hp two stroke that's the way to go weight wise, 285 lbs. However they are carbed engines and DO like gas, for fuel economy go with the 90 eTec or 90 four stroke, there is the weight trade off on the four strokes. I found riding on a friends 16'er (Bayfisher) his 70 four stroke was adequate on plane, but not too quick getting on plane with two guys at 400 - 420 lbs total at the rear seat. He wishes he had went with more HP. Good luck.

As it sits in the water it squats a little (85hp). So I’m worried about putting another 100lbs on the back.
It’s tough to find a 90hp 4 stroke that’s under 300lbs to get close to the original weight. Even the etec  is 320lbs.

do you happen to have performance #s with that 70? 

On 12/19/2019 at 12:11 PM, DonV said:

No I don't, he sold the boat and has moved back up north. (???? why) I do remember to get to 30 mph, normal load, he was running 4500 - 4600. Testing my memory which is not too good anymore!

Thanks for your input! I’m getting such mixed reviews from what I read here and thehulltruth.com some say 70 is lacking others are 90 is too heavy... 

8 hours ago, StPeteBonefisher said:

I put an etec on mine and I love it. Honestly, I had a hard time letting go of the 2 stroke 90 I had, BUT I am glad I did. The etec 90 has really exceeded my expectations. 

I agree, do not overlook an E-tec, you might be surprised. I know that MBG is a Yamaha only company, dabbling in Mercury here and there but there are options.

• Like 1

23 hours ago, MuddyBottomBluz said:

I agree, do not overlook an E-tec, you might be surprised. I know that MBG is a Yamaha only company, dabbling in Mercury here and there but there are options.

I repowered my old boat with a brand new 150 etec and had nothing but issues. I’m kinda hesitant about getting another, I’m not opposed to it but my wife is not thrilled with that option lol.

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, Attitudeindicator said:

I repowered my old boat with a brand new 150 etec and had nothing but issues. I’m kinda hesitant about getting another, I’m not opposed to it but my wife is not thrilled with that option lol.

Understood, it happens! I know people with 3,000 hours on their E-tecs with no problems. Luck of the draw. Keep us posted on what you decide.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...

UPDATE

So I haven’t been able to test too many props just yet but I don’t think I’ll be needing to.

As of right now the current configuration is 

24volt trolling motor with 100-120lbs of batteries in the front hatch.

15 gallons of gas in front tank. (Located in bow hatch 100lbs+-)

Me 170lbs

My son 50lbs

Misc. gear under the seat 60lbs

The stock prop was an aluminum 13.5 x15 pitch. I was able to get 6200 rpm at 36mph which calculates out to 5% slip... I thought that was really good the only issue was with all the weight up front I was having a hard time keeping the bow up. 

With this prop it would loose grip anytime I trimmed it past 3/4 positive trim, also in turns it would loose its grip so I would have to be careful running around mangrove lines and channels.

Today I picked up a Powertec SCD3 in 15 pitch and ran it around.

So the max rpm and speed remained the same. 6200 and 36mph

The huge difference was the amount of grip this prop provides. I was able to trim engine all the way up with no issues and turns were effortless. 

I don’t know what you guys think but I feel this is probably the best match. Using the calculator if I drop down to a 14 pitch I’ll be at the rev limiter but with my experience so far the max speed won’t change. Doing that will make the slip 1% which I feel is a little unrealistic. 

Anyhow this is what I’m coming up with and I hope it helps anyone looking for prop recommendations. 

• 3 years later...

Excuse my reviving of an old thread

How is the hole shot with this setup? Recently got a 16 bayfisher with an F90 and it seems way too heavy for the boat. Don’t love how it sits and if I move to the back of the boat the trolling motor comes out of the water. 2 batteries currently under the center console seat. I’ve considered moving them to the forward hatch but I’m thinking the motor is more the problem. The performance is nice though.

On 12/19/2019 at 10:56 AM, DonV said:

Sorry I would stay away from eTec, yam or Zuke new or used.