Leaving the boat at Flamingo Marina over night?

Hi--would anyone happen to know the ENP Park's policy regarding leaving the boat at the marina over night? Buddy is meeting us over at Flamingo from the Keys and needed to leave his skiff in the water at night. Have no problem renting a slip if need be. The campground concessionaire says no prob, but that's the Park Service handles that portion. I called the Park, one person said no, but wasn't sure. Requested to speak to someone/supervisor who had a definitive answer, said wasn't sure, as policy is "fluid" and constantly changing. But, still could not say yes or no?! 

Any insight appreciated, as leaving tmrw morning. Looks like a light front coming thru Fri night, beachside camping sounds iffy. Thanks!

The ranger at the welcome center should be able to give you a definitive answer when you arrive. However, I would never leave my boat in the water there. I've heard of a few thefts and many cases of vandalism from people doing that in years past. I've even heard of the same things happening to boats on their trailers left overnight in the Flamingo parking lot. Best of luck & catch 'em up!!

1 hour ago, conocean said:

The ranger at the welcome center should be able to give you a definitive answer when you arrive. However, I would never leave my boat in the water there. I've heard of a few thefts and many cases of vandalism from people doing that in years past. I've even heard of the same things happening to boats on their trailers left overnight in the Flamingo parking lot. Best of luck & catch 'em up!!

Thanks, con! Actually, the welcome center is whom I spoke to first--they were more confused then anyone! ( : As usual, sounds like the right hand does not know what the left is doing down there. But, affer calling all, think I have my answer. Bascially, the concessionaire is responsible for all non-backcounty camping, and the marina, (including the store, boat and slip rentals, etc. ). And you can leave the boat/rent a slip.

Also, thanks for the heads up regarding leaving the boat. I grew up in S Florida, so I try not to get caught slipping. Take all and lock up everything what's not bolted down--outta sight/outta mind! Normally we're camping out back, or on the beaches, but unfortunately the schedule/weather may not permit this weekend. Any ideas for a non chickee location fairly close to Flamingo that would be safe for the boat with a front scheduled to come thru? Was possibly thinking Clubhouse or Brown's Creek, wind scheduled to go from SE/WSW/NW then NE during the weekend...Tight lines!

Saturday and Sunday are looking pretty good, at least according to tonight's weather report.  Sunday should be especially nice.  I've only camped on the beaches (when absolutely sure the weather report was favorable) or the chickees.  If you were going out of Chokoloskee, I would suggest Picnic Key or Tiger Key.  

13 hours ago, Sunstone said:

Just seems odd thieves would drive that far to Flamingo plus pay to enter.  Are they camping there?  I've stayed in the house boats and never gave a second thought about my boat but I'm right there.

No the dirty rats used to drive down there in the middle of the night from Homestead/FL City/Redlands, scan the lot & marina, jack peoples stuff then probably pawned it all for drugs! There was a theft ring that got busted down there maybe 15+/- years ago. An ENP guide was implicated in assisting the thieves with intel but it was never proven. 

• Like 1

Keep in mind that there are Federal Law Enforcement Officers there and they do patrol the area at night. They may not be everywhere or stop everything but they are there. They may even stop you to determine you're reason for being in the area. If you are legally armed though while in the park, don't be offended if they temporarily disarm you during their contact with you. Its for your safety and theirs.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Guess I shoulda clarified. We needed to leave the skiff in a slip at the marina at night. My buddy came over from the Keys with his skiff, and I met him at Flamingo by truck. We had a hard west wind predicted on Sat, so instead of camping on the beach like we normally do, we had a Plan B at the Flamingo campsite.

Fri was empty, with Sat night bringing some people in. Fishing was kinda slow with the west wind on Sat, but the kids stayed busy. Kinda buggy at the site with the no see-ums at times, but the beer flowed, camp fire burned bright, and the eatin' was good! Also saw a killer meteor Sat night that had a real low trajectory! Good times!

• Like 1