Mav vs. Rf

bbow01

Been a while since I posted so I hope I'm using the right forum for this question.  I am in the market for a used skiff.  I sold my Rf16 in 2018 and I realize now that was a mistake.  Oh well, water over the dam.  Anyway, I am an annual  Florida visitor and part time smallmouth bass guide in Michigan and fish from Biscayne Bay to Key West in the early fall.  I trailer the boat down and stay at various places.  (I thought that I might move up in the world and I came oh so close to pulling the trigger on a new 2200 Pf recently), but I had a change of plans and decided to go back to a skiff.

Now I can't decide if I want another Rf16 or an HPX.  I have never owned a Maverick so I have a basic question.  The beam on my 2002 Rf was 7'2".  The listed beam on the 17-HPX is 6'2".  That's almost a foot narrower than the Rf.  Why?  Will I notice a considerable difference in handling/poling/general stability?  I almost always fish alone and mainly used the bow mounted trolling motor on the Rf, but would pole a flat on occasion.  I'm not sure that I really need a technical poling skiff since it's hard enough as it is poling from the platform in the wind, spotting fish, managing the pole and taking a shot.

I've tried hard to describe my fishing style and would add that it's mostly back country with some ocean-side stalking when the wx cooperates.  I was pretty happy with the Rf but there seem to be more good used HPX's available.  Any good thoughts/comments?  (My old Rf is posted in the users boat pics under "bbow01".)

Thanks,

Brian

1 minute ago, fin-addict said:

Know very little about them both but what I have read and what I have been told the 16 RF would be my choice. Son is presently looking for the 16. I have been on the 17 hpx and none to thrilled with it in a chop. Understand the RF is better in a chop and all around. Sure owners of East will chime in.

• Like 1

I had great plans to pole and fish solo.  I tried it a number of times and gave up in frustration.  I fish a 15ft HPX which is dream to pole in the back country and handles light chop better than you would imagine, but in tight situations with a wind poling and fishing is a bear to me.  TM does all you need to get you around effortlessly and fish efficiently.  As to the difference between the RF and A 17 hpx, I know the poling advantage goes to the HPX, chop maybe the FR,but it's close.  My little 15 does almost as well as my 20ft Hewes LT. They are both good skiffs.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Wanaflatsfish said:

No one here has an ugly baby.....so take out the popcorn and get ready (LOL)

For sure!

The wider beam and vee bottom on my RF 16 makes the boat very stable, with a soft ride (my wife loves that).  The HPX 17, while a great technical poling skiff, is a bit more tippy.  The Master Angler 17 has that legendary Cadillac-like soft ride, but is heavier than the RF 16 and HPX 17.  The RF 16 is a great all-purpose skiff, at a reasonable price, compared to some other skiffs out there - which are "off the chart" expensive.  If the HPX was on my short list of candidates, for the fishing needs you describe, I would pass on the HPX 17 and look at a HPX 18 instead.  Wider beam than the HPX 17 - better stability, better ride, faster, still a good poling skiff, silent fish stalking without hull slap (for flats OR bass fishing).
Just my $0.02

I agree with Dino, if your not poling a lot a Master Angler is the way to go. Unfortunately as time goes on a lot of them are in need of some work. If you don’t mind that they are definitely the best riding flats boats around. If you want to pole I’d look at a  HPX18 vs. a 17. They draft the same and the 18 is a much bigger, way less tippy boat. 

I'm so glad the Forum is as exactly as the last time I posted which was several years ago.  Great guys and gals with positive, helpful comments.  You all started a new line of thought for me in mentioning both the MA and HPX-18.  I'll start looking at them right away.  My goal is to have possession of a new (for me) skiff by the end of April to give me the summer to "make it mine" by finding, fixing, upgrading the necessary stuff.

Brian

• Like 1

I've had 2 RF 16s and 3 RF 18s but never had a Mav.  Fishing alone and not poling a lot, I'd go with the 16 RF.  If you're going to have 3 folks then the 18'.  The Hewes are so stable that even an old guy like me is comfortable walking the gunnel and it poles fine for what I do, though I'm usually on the TM.  I use my current 16 RF for bass fishing here in GA and FL and also in the salt every time I have a chance.  No complaints.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

based on how you describe your fishing... not an HPX, either an RF or MA.. leaning toward the MA if you fish skinner water.  Not technical skiff skinny, but couple inches between an MA and RF.    Like Limitless said, if 2 folks.. the 16RF or 17MA.. if 3 folks the 18RF of larger MA.