How to Clean Scum from Hull

Mike45q

My 22 V stays on a lift but I still manage to get a scum on the hull that does not want to wash off. I got a new motor several years ago and they detailed the hull as a part of the deal. The guy told me want he used as it was almost a wipe on wipe off but I cannot remember. What do people use and I am old and a little shy of good elbow grease. Thanks in advance.

Mike

"The Works" toilet bowl cleaner, <$2 per qt at Home Depot. I put two bottles in a one gallon yard sprayer and it is more than enough to do the hull. I do one side at a time. However be sure to rinse out the sprayer, hose and nozzle with clean water before storage! No need to ask me what happens if you don't, but the good news is you can buy the sprayer or trigger and hose assembly cheap.

Just now, whichwaysup said:

So here's a question for everyone - Only certain portions of my hull seem to get the brown stains.   I've waxed the entire bottom, but it's always the same areas where it shows up.   Wondering if those areas are more oxidized than other areas around it, allowing the stain to grab hold.  Any thoughts?

I have the same issue and realized it was areas of the hull that had gel coat repairs done, the wax in the newer gel coat prevented the stains. That is my observation.

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, MuddyBottomBluz said:

I have the same issue and realized it was areas of the hull that had gel coat repairs done, the wax in the newer gel coat prevented the stains. That is my observation.

Hmm - maybe I'll hit a small section of the area with some Finesse it II and a lambswool pad and then re-wax it to see if it helps.   If it stays white and everything around it gets stained, I'll hit the whole area.

8 hours ago, whichwaysup said:

Hmm - maybe I'll hit a small section of the area with some Finesse it II and a lambswool pad and then re-wax it to see if it helps.   If it stays white and everything around it gets stained, I'll hit the whole area.

As many have said, after all the elbow-grease and hard work, polishing and waxing the boat, to protect and seal the gelcoat... It seems like the combination of the friction of running the hull through the water, the salt, the sun, and boat washing detergents, strips off the shine and protection soon after you've finished the job.  I've seen Youtube video reviews of some ceramic coatings (like Chemical Guys Hydroslick), and from what I saw - it's a waste of money.  Keeping the hull sealed to prevent gelcoat blistering, is important to me - so I'm going to take JustFish's advice and try Nu Finish: 

I use Ceramic coatings on my cars, great stuff if you don't want to scrub. Prevents stains, and help cleaning up after a day on the road

I have no idea how well it works on boats. My guess is it'll work. I love that it beads water for up to 2 years (on auto).

Cquartz is what i use, but others out there too.  

If you say it's BS then, I dint think you've used it correctly. ask any detailing outfit what they think

I've used Rust-Aid and similar, oxalic acid based, hull cleaners on my boats for 25 years. All things being equal, stains will appear first anywhere that rapid waterflow contacts the hull, as the water tends to remove the wax protecting the gel-coat. More importantly, using these hull cleaners will chemically "pit" the gelcoat. In order to prevent a rapid reoccurrence of the stains. you should be sure to thoroughly rinse the acid off of the hull as soon as the stains go away and then wax the areas that you just cleaned with the acid. I've given up trying to remove stains from the aft bottom of the hull, where access is next to impossible and no one can see the stains.

On ‎12‎/‎4‎/‎2019 at 7:03 PM, Mike45q said:

My 22 V stays on a lift but I still manage to get a scum on the hull that does not want to wash off. I got a new motor several years ago and they detailed the hull as a part of the deal. The guy told me want he used as it was almost a wipe on wipe off but I cannot remember. What do people use and I am old and a little shy of good elbow grease. Thanks in advance.

Mike

If your lift is over water, some of the cleaners will not be biodegradable? I have a drive on lift but pull my boat onto the trailer for yearly maintenance. I clean the bottom real good with a product called SLX and then coats of wax. The wash off of the SLX goes down the drain which probably end up in the ground. Probably not "ecologically sound" either but I try to flush thoroughly to dilute it but I know there is a risk.