Elite TI2 12" Screen vs Others for FMT

phil04

FIrst post here. What a great site! 

I'm planning on running the Florida Marine Tracks (FMT) cards and have been trying to figure out whether I would regret getting the Lowrance Elite TI2 12" unit over the HDS Live (9") or even GO12 series (Yes, I know GO is not the preferred option. Also, EVO3 is over my budget). I managed to get the 12" Elite TI2 unit for $1,500 and can return it if needed. It has the same resolution as the others mentioned, but a more matte screen. I compared it with the GO12 at West Marine and the GO is much more 'glassy' and seemed to provide a better image, but then again, they were display units, so I'm not fully sure how it would be on the water with new units. I'm hoping someone can tell me if the more matte screen will significantly impact my ability to see details in the satellite imagery well, compared to the others. Thank you!

• Like 1

I can say I've run FMT on my hds 9 gen 2 (same screen as elite ti) and now in my simrad evo 3 16 and it's a considerable difference in image quality. 

That being said I don't think I would miss an oyster bar or sand bar because of it, since the elite screen is still very nice.

I'd bring the fmt card to west marine and pop it in so you can see for yourself. Wouldn't hurt!

Thank you for the reply. One thing to note is the resolution on the 9" screen is much lower than the 12" and larger screens (9"= 800x480 vs 12"=1280x800 vs 16"=1920x1080). I also believe the TI2 screen is much improved over the TI? Since the 12" Elite TI2 has the same resolution as the other 12" models, the main difference seems to be the matte screen (different technology). I'm unsure how much of an impact this has on contrast and detail. 

I don't know what set up you are running but I had the chance to get the 12" Lowrance but went with the 9" and I'm glad I did. The 12" would have been just too big for my HPX console, the 9 was just a better fit. Plus I could not justify an additional $1000 for 3 inches. I have more than enough detail to see bars, small cuts, etc..

I actually saw a post the other day about your experience with FMT... and the FWC haha... Cotu! And I definitely appreciate your input. Knowing you are still able to see the details is a big relief. Are you overall still happy with the TI2, or would you now prefer something different? Have you encountered any annoyances using FMT, such as lag? I definitely understand the cost difference. I went with the 12" because I found it on a black friday sale for 1500. Thanks!

I have the EVO2 Simrad and Coto and I fished together on his RF.

If I had to do it over, with a starting budget, I'd say the Lowrance unit he is running is more than adequate....I've run his boat over in Choko (old RF) and even in a chop, the buttons performed and screen was very good....I only like the EVO2 Simard due to spinning button, but, would not buy another for $1K more, it's not worth it...I got mine on an internet match for nearly $600 off on a close out.

9" on a skiff is fine....it all depends on how you set up your screen....Coto showed me a trick in the settings which allows you to see ahead vs. the skiff in the middle of the screen (it's called look forward view) and it provides 75% more screen - who cares about the oyster bar you just missed (LOL)...you want the ones ahead.

BTW, you'll have more problems with you sunglasses and glare than the screens....with the buttons, you just want to be set up to move in and out in areas you "think" you might have a problem with tight curves etc.

Summary = Lowrance good value - Simrad EVO if you got the $$$...you need fast processing speed, so don't consider anything which FMT doesn't recommend.

DC

Thanks everyone for the awesome feedback thus far. FMT does have the Elite Ti2 listed under approved units. Though I will be using FMT for finding routes when needed, I'm actually more interested in locating target structure while out on the water. I do my pre-planning on Google Earth but when I get out on the water, I sometimes have a difficult time locating the spots. I understand things shift, so I don't expect things to be exact, but generally channels and other more substantial features don't change too drastically. I also would like to be able to find new areas, while on the water, when conditions shift or I'm not having luck in my planned areas. That's the reason for my concern over being able to see the finer details. 

• 2 weeks later...

I know the latest Elite Ti2 has been upgraded considerably over previous models, so I think it's a great buy for the price.

The only thing I'll add is that the Lowrance HDS LIVE series does offer a quad-core processor in it's larger units (12" & 16"). The performance is very noticeable when you're viewing high resolution maps and especially when you're moving at high rate of speed. I didn't fully appreciate this until I was passenger on another boat with a smaller Elite Ti (old version) and it was down right painful when trying to navigate around the screens, move cursor, etc. It could be there was an issue with the unit, but it seemed sooooo slow compared to my HDS LIVE 12". 

Just a thought. But both the Elite Ti2 and the Simrad Go Series are great buys at their price point. 

Josh B.

Im running FMT on the Lowrance Live. I couldn't decide but have a dealer contact and he sent me a 12 and 9 and said send back the one you don't want and I will bill accordingly. I mounted the 12 on a master angler and it was just too big. So I went with the 9 and its might fine. I really didn't notice any difference in the resolution just more chart and in turn more area in front of you displayed on screen. To compensate a bit the Lowrance and (maybe all) have a nifty setting that lets you change how much screen is infant of the boat if you will as its default in a course up setting. It is WELL worth your time to call Glenn, the FMT  owner and run your scenarios by him. He will likely answer the phone and if not will call you back. Helped me decide for sure. I can say this...you will throughly enjoy running the chip!