Need help with Airmar TM150 transducer mount location on Pathfinder 2200 XL

MarkB2

All,

I need a little help with mounting an Airmar TM150 transducer on my Pathfinder 2200 XL TE.

I just installed a Lowrance HDS-9 Gen three. I installed an Airmar TM150 transducer to take full advantage of the CHIRP features of the unit. I mounted the new transducer in the same location my previous transducer was mounted. (see photo below) The old unit (Lowrance HDS-7 touch) and transducer worked great at speed. The new setup loses bottom at around 21-22 mph. I had it mounted with the bottom of the transducer flat/even with the bottom of that section of hull. I tried moving it down a little bit and the performance was a little worse. On the other hand, my structure scan continues to show the bottom at full speed.(~50). The area just left and forward of the starboard recessed trim tab are where my livewell pickups are which may cause issues if I mount the transducer left of the trim tab on the rear part of the hull.

Does anyone have recommendation for a better location?

I know this has been asked many times, but each case is different.

[image]http://www.markandtammysworld.com/trans3.jpg[/image]

1450122041-trans3.jpg.f1452be492ce534750

That looks like a "skimmer" transducer. If so, it can be pushed down even more. There is a ring around the perimeter of the transducer. Push the transducer down until that rig is level with the bottom of the hull. That should be better, but you'll have to experiment with it until you get the best performance.

Only problem with pushing it down is the fact that the transducer is more susceptible to damage from hitting stuff in the water.

Additionally, that little square "open area" between the bolt that anchors the transducer to the mount and the transom, usually causes a rooster-tail that splashes water on the outboard. Use painters tape to mask off the surrounding parts and fill that area with caulk. On the bottom, use a small putty-knife to make the area a smooth as possible. That cuts down on turbulence.

That looks like a "skimmer" transducer. If so, it can be pushed down even more. There is a ring around the perimeter of the transducer. Push the transducer down until that rig is level with the bottom of the hull. That should be better, but you'll have to experiment with it until you get the best performance.

Thanks Steve, but the photo shows my original skimmer transducer. I only showed the photo to show where I mounted the new transducer.

Here is a picture of what the new transducer looks like. It's quite a bit bigger than my original transducer.

[image]http://www.markandtammysworld.com/tm150.jpg[/image]

[image]http://www.markandtammysworld.com/p4lq.jpg[/image]

[image]http://www.markandtammysworld.com/b787.jpg[/image]

I Googled Airman TM 150 and found about 100 frequently asked questions. Didn't have time to look at everything, but you might find the answer in the FAQ list. Sorry, forgot to save the link.

What about the instillation instructions, any help there on best positioning? I do remember they suggest that the trailing edge (the back) of the transducer be slightly lower than the front.

I Googled Airman TM 150 and found about 100 frequently asked questions. Didn't have time to look at everything, but you might find the answer in the FAQ list. Sorry, forgot to save the link.

What about the instillation instructions, any help there on best positioning? I do remember they suggest that the trailing edge (the back) of the transducer be slightly lower than the front.

Well that's what worked.

I was able to rectify the loss of bottom at around 21-22 mph. With a little advice from Airmar, I used one of their shims to adjust the transducer so that the rear of the transducer sits about an 1/8 of an inch lower than the front of the transducer. I still get clean return arches and I can now see the bottom at WOT ~52mph.

• 4 years later...

Yes I'm looking for a connection piece that goes to the tm150 cord they give you. How to attach this tm150 to a tranducer connector. I cannot find the adapter to fit to this pls Help. I want to hook up to an average 10 pin transducer.  Is this possible? Thank you kindly.