And this is why

RipTide

You should "NEVER-EVER" leave a motor running while people are in the water behind your boat or during loading via a swim ladder.

If this doesn't drive the point home then I don't know what else ever will.

Scroll down to the 5th reply.

Enjoy.

http://www.thehulltruth.com/scuba-snorkel-spearfishing-forum/721747-motor-off-when-divers-ladder.html#post8516459

The on,y time we have people in the water is in the keys lobstering. We only turn the motor off if we are anchoring. We do take a lot of caution and have more than one set of eyes always watching the people on the water. It is with all things. With lots of experience and knowledge you still have to diligent with your safety precautions. It is always verbally acknowledged that the boat is in neutral before going over or coming in. And if we have inexperienced people in the water there is someone else with them and we adjust accordingly.

If I remember correctly, back in the day, most throttle controls had a button on the handle that had to be depressed before you could shift from neutral to forward or reverse. Maybe this safety feature kept most of us old-timers from experiencing such a tragedy. I can't count the number of times I entered a boat with the motor running.

I saw quite a few prop injuries when I worked for the fire dept. in central Fl. Most all were related to water skiing.

• 4 years later...

I have been a motor off guy for many years. 
 A few years ago three teenagers were killed locally. Enjoying a day on the Savannah river towing tubes or kneeboard the rope became tangled in the prop. The three boys were all trying to get the rope out of the prop with the old two stroke running. All thee passed out from the exhaust and drowned. I couldn’t believe the story but it honestly happened.  

Wow, that was tough to look at. When I was a small boy my father and uncle ran into the water and came out with a teenage girl in their arms and ran to a car. She was in bad shape. Afterwards my Dad said think about that, her life will never be the same. Unfortunately that was only the first skiing or boating accident I’ve witnessed.  

I’m 100% motor off anytime someone is in the water.

• 1 month later...

In 31 years in the medical field, 18 of the last with the FD before a career ending injury , I have seen tragedies of all type on the water and the worst was that all of them could have been prevented. Jet skiers are #1, alcohol mixed with boating are a close 2nd, and 1 incident of a airboat running through the marsh not seeing a kayak fishing. Doing 30-40 mph at night and not seeing that dock are probably the most we go to.