Power Pole Issue

Fishician

My power pole is one and a half years old. Worked fine all day in Flamingo When I got home it would not go up or down. When I turned on the main power switch, it did at first not make the power pole chiming noise. Turned on and off the main power for several seconds and now it seems to work fine. Any possible explanations. I would be very grateful.On the other hand , if it fails to power bak up is there a way to do it manually?

Thanks

4 hours ago, Fishician said:

My power pole is one and a half years old. Worked fine all day in Flamingo When I got home it would not go up or down. When I turned on the main power switch, it did at first not make the power pole chiming noise. Turned on and off the main power for several seconds and now it seems to work fine. Any possible explanations. I would be very grateful.On the other hand , if it fails to power bak up is there a way to do it manually?

Thanks

Yes,

All you do is unlock one of the two side of the hyradulic lines with a small wrench....carry a zip lock back and place it over the line, pull on the PP and it will come up and push out the fluid into the zip lock.

Note, you need a new seal washer when you re-install since the compression washers are a one time use....you could get by with an on the water tighten, but, a new one is recommended....

dc

2 hours ago, Bamaskeet said:

I don’t think you have to disconnect a hydraulic line to manually stow a Power Pole.  You can use a rope to raise it, over powering the hydraulics.

I am not sure that is possible.  It did not work for me, the PP was down and there is almost no way to get any leverage on it from in the boat and the water was ~6' deep.  I had to remove one of the fittings and lift it up as "dc" said.  Also if the system could be over powered that easy, it would release when is normal use.

9 hours ago, Fishician said:

Thanks

Were your batteries low when you got home? There may be a low voltage cut-off that prevented the motor/pump from starting.

You need to double check the power source to the power pole. Mine acted weird like that and I found a problem with the source power connection. Fixed the connection and have had years of flawless operation.  I have had it stick down when in deeper water when it is fully extended,  did like the manual says, press up button and drive forward. Has worked every time.

• Like 1

On 12/1/2019 at 8:58 AM, Chief5130 said:

I am not sure that is possible.  It did not work for me, the PP was down and there is almost no way to get any leverage on it from in the boat and the water was ~6' deep.  I had to remove one of the fittings and lift it up as "dc" said.  Also if the system could be over powered that easy, it would release when is normal use.

I had a relay go out on older one and used a rope to pull it towards boat but It is designed to release under pressure. From PPl: 

• During situations with high wind or rough seas, your Power-Pole anchor may release holding pressure in order to protect your vessel’s transom.

•  

Q: What should I do if my Power-Pole anchor is stuck in the deployed position?

A: If your Power-Pole anchor will not retract for any reason, simply drive toward shallow water and the pole protector valve will allow the anchor to stow.

On 12/1/2019 at 8:58 AM, Chief5130 said:

You can't pull it up with a rope if it is stuck deployed. I bent my bracket trying to do that, the only way is to do what Dino said, cutting or disconnection one hydraulic hose.

Believe me, i tried everything, even moving forward onto a sandbar jumped out of boat and tried levering it up.. wrong!!  Hence bent bracket. 

I have also had trouble with the grounding of the PP Motor, which sounds exactly like your problem 

Good Luck, keep us posted what happened

19 minutes ago, Robert3 said:

You can't pull it up with a rope if it is stuck deployed. I bent my bracket trying to do that, the only way is to do what Dino said, cutting or disconnection one hydraulic hose.

Believe me, i tried everything, even moving forward onto a sandbar jumped out of boat and tried levering it up.. wrong!!  Hence bent bracket. 

I have also had trouble with the grounding of the PP Motor, which sounds exactly like your problem 

Good Luck, keep us posted what happened

It wasn't easy when I had to do it and took some effort for sure. I have installed a handful of them and if installed incorrectly the release valve doesn't work I think. Or at least on the older style pumps anyway.