OT - 2 way radio

justdriftin

I'm looking for a good handheld radio for use in the woods, I've looked at all the GMRS radios and all advertise outrageous distance, but most reviews say maybe a mile even for the 5 watt radios. Anybody got any recommendations for good radios that can get a couple of miles in the woods. I don't need 30 or 40 miles, but something closer to 2 would be nice.

Thanks for any help.

Its more about line of sight. Yes more power will get you more distance, but you will need height to be able use the power.

At 6 feet off the ground line of sight is less than 3 miles. I would ***ume tress would cut down the distance.

I would go with the 5 watt version, just cause it has more power but know its only gonna go farther when you get higher.

The outrageous distances may be achieved if climbed a tree in those woods your playing in. As Hurricane stated VHF is line of sight only, no matter the power output of the transmitter if your surrounded by dense forest, mangroves, etc... your not going to get a transmission out of there.

I actually carry a 36" Metz antenna and co-ax cable to connect my handheld to the antenna so I can attach it to the end of my push pole and get the antenna 30-ish feet in the air in case of emergency.

I understand you're not going to carry a push pole in the woods but you get the idea.

Archived