WTB Flats Boat (12k budget)

Stryker

Hey guys, longtime reader and first-time poster here.

I'm looking to buy a flats boat in the next couple of months, so send me what you've got. The only two must-haves I have at the moment are a four-stroke motor and a poling platform, other add-ons are negotiable at this point. I'm located in SC and not looking to drive much over 300 miles or so.

Thanks for your time. 

Note: Not particularly looking for a repower / project, but will consider it for the right price.

56 minutes ago, FLSnookhunter said:

I purchased a 97 Master Angler off of here that had less than 500 hours for $8k. Just keep your eye out. I drove to Jacksonville from West Palm to pick it up image.thumb.jpeg.d9987f3c9322f258d626725fd7579d42.jpeg

That is a great deal. But that is a 2 stroke motor. Like HoneyB said. You will be looking a long time for a Hewes or Maverick 18’ with four stroke in that price range. You might be able to find a 16’ for that. 

HoneyB, I thought that was probably the case, but you'll never know until you put some feelers out, right?

The length of the drive is a bit more subjective than I let on at first, but anything from the Charleston area would certainly get my first look before saddling up to drive to Florida.

I'll keep saving my pennies and hopefully the price range will go up a bit more, but as we all know that takes a little time 😂

FLSnookhunter, that's a beautiful rig you've got there. I've seen almost the exact same boat in my home waters up here in SC, right down to the model year and motor.

Thank you all for the replies, tight lines to you all.

On 11/26/2019 at 10:48 AM, Stryker said:

Hey guys, longtime reader and first-time poster here.

I'm looking to buy a flats boat in the next couple of months, so send me what you've got. The only two must-haves I have at the moment are a four-stroke motor and a poling platform, other add-ons are negotiable at this point. I'm located in SC and not looking to drive much over 300 miles or so.

Thanks for your time. 

Note: Not particularly looking for a repower / project, but will consider it for the right price.

I am in the same boat with a slightly larger budget. I understand why you are probably wanting to go with a 2-stroke over a 4. I also want the same. I would suggest be willing to go much further. A road block that I keep hitting is the "deals" down in FL (I am also in SC) do not have trailers, or the few I have found the seller has mentioned that the trailer may not be in the type of shape to make a safe journey back to SC. The Hewes I have found are hit or miss and some have way too much "customization" which will result in issues or removal. Best of luck, I'll post a few of my recent finds on here as long as it is "ok" by the mods. 

• Like 2

On 11/28/2019 at 7:55 AM, whichwaysup said:

pics and details of boats are ALWAYS  welcome on this site!  Where in SC are you, whats your budgwt and what are you looking for?

I am in the Upstate 50% of the time and in Charleston the other 50%. I have been on the hunt for a Hewes or similar (Maverick, Action Craft) in the 15-17K range. Hopefully a 4 stroke. Like I mentioned, having a super reliable trailer without having to put any money into it would be ideal! 

3 hours ago, kingmarlin said:

I am in the Upstate 50% of the time and in Charleston the other 50%. I have been on the hunt for a Hewes or similar (Maverick, Action Craft) in the 15-17K range. Hopefully a 4 stroke. Like I mentioned, having a super reliable trailer without having to put any money into it would be ideal! 

https://www.swflboatdealer.com/inventory/1998-action-craft-1810-special-edition-punta-gorda-fl-33955-10292270i

On 11/26/2019 at 10:48 AM, Stryker said:

The only two must-haves I have at the moment are a four-stroke motor and a poling platform, other add-ons are negotiable at this point

Is there a reason for this "must have"...as mentioned, there are many 2 stroke (old school 115's and 130's) that are easy to maintain and run forever.

I have a 1995 MA 17 that has the original 115...I've put about $2K into the engine (carb rebuild, prop, etc.), but, I hope to keep it until it for many years to come.

It will be hard to fine a good 4 stroke in that price range on a decent hull...meaning a late model 4 stroke...that's about the price of a new one...

Just something to consider....

dc

On 11/27/2019 at 10:30 AM, FLSnookhunter said:

I purchased a 97 Master Angler off of here that had less than 500 hours for $8k. Just keep your eye out. I drove to Jacksonville from West Palm to pick it up 

Well done Sir !!!.

I bought my 1995 for $11K two years ago....but, I only drove 5 miles :) 

Does the 97 have the full fiberglass deck  lids or composite?

dc

21 hours ago, NCTribute said:

Saw this boat on Craigslist a couple months back for 10k. Thought about jumping on it then, and I should have. Doesn't look any different than it did in the Craigslist ad, so I have my doubts that they've put $4000 additional into it 🤐

On 11/30/2019 at 4:40 PM, kingmarlin said:

I believe there is a 2004 redfisher 16 with a Yamaha 90 in the classifieds which fits your budget. Looks very well taken care of. Could be a great option for you if you feel like driving to Miami.

51 minutes ago, whichwaysup said:

I assume you've checked out that 98 17' MA - Just realized it has an 09 4S engine on it.    at the right price and with a little elbow grease, that could be a great option.

I have, and it looks like a reasonable price for a great boat. I've never done any gelcoat repair before, so I'm curious how much it would take to patch up those couple of problem spots. 

From what I understand, it's actually relatively simple and the good news is, I don't you can screw it up.   Don't like how it went?  Grind down and try again.  The gel coat color for the bottom is oyster white and is easy to find.   The yellow is fighting lady yellow and has proven much harder, but a good shop can match it for you.