Bow fishing

mulligan

Straight from FWC

Spearing is defined as "the catching or taking of a fish by bow hunting, gigging, spearfishing, or by any device used to capture a fish by piercing its body. Spearing does not include the catching or taking of a fish by a hook with hook and line gear or by snagging (snatch hooking)."

Spearfishing is defined as "the catching or taking of a fish through the instrumentality of a hand or mechanically propelled, single or multi-pronged spear or lance, barbed or barbless, operated by a person swimming at or below the surface of the water."

The use of powerheads, bangsticks, and rebreathers remains prohibited. The following is a list of species that are prohibited for harvest by spearing. Any other species not listed that are managed by the Commission, and those species not managed by the Commission, may be harvested by spearing.

â—¾Billfish (all species)

â—¾Spotted eagle ray

â—¾Sturgeon

â—¾Manta ray

â—¾Sharks

â—¾Bonefish

â—¾Tarpon

â—¾Goliath Grouper

â—¾Snook

â—¾Blue Crab

â—¾N***au grouper

â—¾Spotted seatrout

â—¾Red drum

â—¾Weakfish

â—¾Stone Crab

â—¾Pompano

â—¾African pompano

â—¾Permit

â—¾Tripletail

â—¾Lobster

â—¾Families of ornamental reef fish (surgeonfish, trumpetfish, angelfish, butterflyfish, porcupinefish, cornetfish, squirrelfish, trunkfish, damselfish, parrotfish, pipefish, seahorse, puffers, triggerfish except gray and ocean)

You may NOT spearfish (excluding bowhunting and gigging) as described below:

â—¾Spearfishing of marine and freshwater species in freshwater is prohibited. Possession of a spear gun in or on freshwater is also prohibited.

â—¾Within 100 yards of a public swimming beach, any commercial or public fishing pier, or any part of a bridge from which public fishing is allowed.

â—¾Within 100 feet of any part of a jetty that is above the surface of the sea - except for the last 500 yards of a jetty that extends more than 1,500 yards from the shoreline.

â—¾In Monroe County from Long Key north to the Dade County line.

â—¾For any fish for which spearing is expressly prohibited by law (listed above).

â—¾In any body of water under the jurisdiction of the Environmental Protection, Recreation and Parks. (Possession of spearfishing equipment is prohibited in these areas, unless it is unloaded and properly stored.)

Fishermen who catch and/or sell fish harvested by spearing are subject to the same rules and limitations that other anglers in the state are required to follow.

Thanks guys. I picked up an AMS kit today and hope to give it a try this week.

On a side note I have to give it to you bow guys. I have been around guns my whole life and even have a range behind my house but this bow thing is all new to me. I thought it was going to be fairly easy. It is just sight alignment and trigger control, right? Wrong! The mullet might be safe for awhile.

I thought I had posted on this thread, but guess it never went through. Surely the moderator didn't delete it unless he loves to hug mullet and Gar. :content:

I did a lot of bow fishing years ago. Mostly gar and carp in GA but also mullet sheepies and flounder in FL. It's a blast for sure. The downside used to be needing a loud generator for lighting but nowadays with new lighting technology and depending on water clarity, I bet you can get by with LED or something. AMS retriever has been around forever and I'm not sure how you could actually improve on it. USE THE SLIDING SAFETY thingy. I have seen the arrow whip back right at my buddy...still one of the scariest things I've ever seen!

Might be obvious, but be forewarned but boat will be a bloody mess when things heat up. Being I did most at night I used a little Jon boat so I didn't have to stay up even later cleaning it!

Archived