Side Scan Tip

whichwaysup

Hey all - Not sure if this will apply to all the Lowrance/Simrad products, but thought I'd pass this along.   I've been running an HDS Gen 3 with side scan for a few years.  When I first got it, I was getting REALLY impressive views of fish schools, structure, etc that helped me find fish I wouldn't have otherwise.   That was up in the Pamlico, which is brackish water.  

When I moved down to Wilmington and fished the pure salt, I noticed that my side scan imagery was almost useless.   I've been pretty disappointed with it for about 2 years, but had attributed it to the change in environment.   

Today, I was fooling around with it and turned off the "Surface clarity" setting - which had been put on "low".   WOW, IMMEDIATE difference.   I'm now getting the kinds of views I remember when I first got it.   Apparently, somewhere around the time I moved, I'd fooled around with the settings and hadn't realized what I'd done.

SOoooo - if you aren't getting the kinds of detail you expect, go into Advanced Settings and turn off "surface clarity"

Now, I need a tip back - anyone got a good way to remove water droplet stains from the screen?   

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, MuddyBottomBluz said:

Are they water droplets or are they tear drops from when you got the boat back and you were hugging the console and crying tears of joy all over it?

Hmmm - that is a very good question.   I believe they could be either.   The poor head unit sat in a closet for two years waiting to be re-connected to its lower parts, and there may have been some tears shed over it over that two year period.   It is also possible that, while ripping down the intracoastal at 50 MPH this a.m. that the tears of joy (and normal suction from the massive airflow) were slurped forward in the vortex created by the console and smashed into the screen.   Then there were the 12 redfish we landed, could be fish slime from them.

So many possibilities, but still annoying and they won't wipe off easily.   It's a touch screen, so I want to be careful what I use on it.   Anyone know if I can use:

- Rainex?

- Windex/Glass Cleaner?

- Woody's wax?

- 80 grit sandpaper?   

Have you tried the Zeiss cleaner and a microfiber cloth.  One of the most important things to do in salt water is to rinse the screen real well with fresh water to get salt off. Do not rub with towel until salt water is rinsed. A bad habit on the water is when spray gets on to just rub it off. BAD move. That salt spray is scratchy.

They make screen protectors for them but not sure of cost.

• Like 1