2003 18 MA hatch shocks

Lostsmenfive

• 2 weeks later...

I also need to add something to my large forward hatch on the MA18 - it's a beast, especially in wind.

Can anyone provide details on the following:

1. Where to find the stainless 90 degree bracket shown on the lower end of the shock the pics above?
  2. What length and strength (pounds) gas shock(s) work on the large MA18 hatch?

I found an old post recommending the crescent lower bracket from Great Lakes Skipper but it's zinc plated steel - ugh.  Does anyone sell an aluminum or stainless version?

Thanks,

Bud

• 4 weeks later...

Hi All,

I figured I post a follow up of how my gas strut project worked out...

After a bunch of research trying to figure out brackets I gave up and called the nice folks at Maverick Boat Group. It turns out the bracket that mounts to the gutter edge is called a "Band Aid" bracket and I'm guessing they are having these custom made.  MBG won't sell the parts direct, but provided the details and part numbers (below).  We weren't sure how the new setup would work with the older, heavier, old Maverick 18 forward hatch but I figured it could only help.  Bo at Tuppen's Marine was very helpful in getting pricing and ordering (unlike another dealer).

The new upper bracket wouldn't work for me because it's a flat bracket and I needed a surface mount. But I found a nice 5 hole stainless surface bracket made by Taylor at West Marine.  With the shallow screws into the hollow/foam core hatch I figured more screws the better.

I mounted my lower bracket near the hinges where the lip was a bit thicker from hinge reinforcing.  There is a little flex, so I might add a backing plate, but it is working very nicely. I measured about 17 times to ensure the strut had room to retract and not bind when the hatch was closed.  I made a mark at 9 1/4 inches from the top edge of the hatch, then held the strut and bracket in place so the hatch would be slight past vertical and saw I had plenty of room to close with no binding.  The 30 lb strut is working just fine - the hatch holds the hatch to about 30 - 40 degrees from vertical and definitely softens the drop.

It's not a cheap project (around $100), but a lot cheaper than a trip to the emergency room for injuries from a slamming hatch - especially on little fingers.

I hope this helps.

Cheers,

Bud

Part numbers from MBG:

Band Aid Bracket - 54013000

Gas, Shock, Stainless, 15", 30 lb - 54077000

Bracket, side mount - 54021200 - I did not use.

Bracket, surface mount 5 hole Taylor Made #1859 from West Marine (the shelf sticker said they are 13mm studs, but they are 10mm)

1.jpeg

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2