17' Master Angler re-power

Daniel 7074

I have a 17-foot master angler that was originally built with a 115 Evinrude in 1995 it never performed well. The boat was repowered in 2001 with a 130 horse Yamaha which performs well but I’m tired of the noise and would like to repower. Any suggestions? I’m considering a Yamaha SHO VF115 hp or the SHO VF150 hp. I am not necessary looking for more top speed out of the 150 but I do not want to lose performance by under powering again.

• 2 weeks later...

I have a 1998 MA17, and I've been personally eyeing the new Envinrude Etec G2 series coming out for 2020 in the 140hp variety ever since I read the article.  It's a new 3 cylinder design, max efficiency, great HP to weight ratio, and nothing has more torque then the 2 stroke.  Not to mention they are now quiet, eco friendly and have a great warranty.  That's my 2 cents.  Article link here. https://www.evinrude.com/en-US/press-releases/evinrude-launches-new-3-cylinder-e-tec-g2-outboards.html

I have a 1997 MA with a 2016 115hp Yamaha. Not am SHO. I love it and I guess if I did it again I would probably go for the SHO but I’m totally happy as is. I would not put a 150hp on it just for the sake of draft but then again I’m really not concerned with speed either so to each there own. The E tech and zuk 140 are also tempting options. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/12/2019 at 9:31 AM, FMB MEGALOPS said:

Or consider a Suzuki 140 which is a great weight to HP ratio and a super popular motor. I've fished a 17' MA w/140 zuk and it was a great match. It will also be less expensive than the SHO. 

I had this exact setup for 8 years, I'd do it again in a heartbeat. Great motor and performs outstanding on the 17ma.

• Like 2