Looking for ideas for new fish cleaning stand

RobVan

Finally getting around to building a new fish cleaning stand. Harvey used my last one and left it in rough shape....

Thinking about building one approximately 6' x 3' with 4 (4x4) posts, metal roof, open underneath, and no plywood. While starboard might be a good table top, I have heard there are other plastic materials that might be less $ and less prone to knife cuts. I do believe I want a plastic top so it is not so abrasive on the fillet knives.

I would appreciate any photos and/or recommendations of things to do (or not do). 

TIA

Harvey.jpg

RobVan. Yes you need a new stand. I built one at my house in satx that has a perforated stainless top.  W a wood frame.  I glued down some big cutting boards one one end for the table knife work.  

headed to rockport to fish copano tomorrow so hope it warms up a bit.  Good luck w your table 
Hutch

• 2 weeks later...

I built a fish cleaning station for my condo assoc. I used Starboard and it has held up very well and this station is used a lot. Typical filleting of fish does not hurt the surface. It's vertical cuts that damage the table (damage meaning cut marks). You can use thin Starboard if you have sufficient framing to support the table, maybe supported every 12 inches. I used 5/8" Starboard for the back and side splashes because you have to attach that with  s/s screws from under the table.

I'm really not familiar with any other plastic or synthetic material that would work. Some Home Depot stores carry PVC sheets (4x8) that might work. Good luck with your project and send some pics.

• 2 weeks later...

local guy built me one with one small improvement.  On one end piece he used SS hinges, so when I get a fish longer than the table, it still lays flat.  Admittedly haven't brought a big Wahoo or Dolphin to my table since I got, but this little fold down end makes me optimistic.