Prop advice for 21MA w/200sho

tidewater

Asking for my cousin who runs a 2001 21MA. He is in the process of going from a 200HPDI with a 4 blade to a 4 stroke 200hp Yamaha SHO. The dealer (Yamaha not MHP) installed a 3 blade 19" prop and the bow come up much higher than the old combo.

He wants to go to a 4 blade prop. Does anyone have a 21 MA with a the 200 SHO running a 4 blade prop (or 3 blade) that they are happy with? If so any suggestions on prop specs?

Tks, John

Hey John, I'm running a 2006 21 MA with the 200 SHO. I currently have a PowerTech OFX 21 pitch 3 blade that I love that is a bit to much prop (only getting 53-5400). I'm going to switch to a OFX 3 19-20 whenever I can find a good used one for sale. I thought about switching to the 4 blade OFX for better shallow water performance, but the 3 blade barely has any bow rise out of the hole and I didn't want to loose any on top end. A lot of good props out there. Good luck

YM, thanks for the input, I p***ed it on to my cousin Ronnie. I also PM(ed) Funky Monkey (Marcus) at Powertec. He also responded with his contact info so Ronnie is giving him a call this morning.

When I read your post to him about your not wanting to loose any top end speed, he said he didn't have to be able to run his age. :-) But he did need the great hole-shot. I'm 72 and he isn't far behind, so running with our hair on fire is not an issue :-) :-) LOL.

Thanks again.

John

I think Marcus recommended the 17-18 for Ronnie as well. Probably going with 18" 4 blade to keep the speed down. :-) :-)

thanks for the replies. Where are you located? We are in Maryland upper Chesapeake area but fish a lot of shallow water in the Tangier sound area, closer to the VA line.

Numbers probably won't be available until next spring as I don't know when the prop will be available and this spring like weather these last 2 weeks won't last past the weekend.

Tight lines.

John

Happy Made-It-Through-Monday, gang!!!!;)

As always, my friends, thank you very much for your oh-so-kind words and your support!!! :) You guys'n'gals ROCK!!!!:D

Yeah, I was tryin' to keep the pitch low on Ronnie's rig, just to make sure we're gettin' revs. Luggin' motors is a bad plan and we see it WAAAAAAAY too often these days, I'm afraid.

Now, I know the pitch may appear low to you, but there's more going on here, than meets the eye. When comparing the old 200 HPDI to the new 200 SHO, there are two VERY important differences, one is operating range, since the 4-stroke will require more rpms, and the second is gear ratio (1.81/1.86 vs. 1.75). Due to these two factors, among other things, while the old 2.6 HPDI could run a 19, and big block VZ could run a 20, the 200 SHO has been running 18s (and some 17s, depending on loading). I can't tell ya how been hard to convince folks that this is the case with some of these new motors (and not just Yamahas), but the proof's in the numbers.

For the sake of comparison and using my experience only (your results may vary...hehehe), take the tried'n'true 22 Path as an example, and let's look at F150, F200 inline-4, and 200 SHO. The F150 and the F200 inline-4 run the same pitch, due to the fact that although we have 50 more horses, the faster 1.86:1 gear ratio vs. the F150's 2.00:1 takes away the expected pitch gain. Similarly, although the 200 SHO has 50 more horses AND much larger displacement, it's super-fast 1.75:1 gear ratio limits our pitch gain to one inch. Crazy but true, or again, at least it has been in my experience over the last few years. It's why I always say, "It ain't rocket science,...it's HARDER!!! There are simply too many variables!!!" :o:P

Well, I hate to hit you guys with another "post-by", but we're still WIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIDE open in Propeller Paradise, gang, and I gotta fly!! Our record year appears to have no end, 'cause it's DECEMBER, and the phone'n'E-mail analyses and orders are hammerin' us. I have to admit, it's a great problem to have, if you're gonna have one!!!!! hehehhehe

Thank you, again, m'friends!!!!

Have a teeeeeeeeeeeeerrific rest-of-your-day!!!

Marcus

One Half of the Hydrodynamic Duo :cool:

hehehehehehhe

My pleasure!!! I'm alllllways happy to share a bit o' dinner-party-propeller trivia witcha, gang!!!!:o:P

I'm on my first day off allllll year, and although it feels a bit odd, I'm lookin' forward to a little breather. Already fixed the bathroom faucet, and will start on more hot-roddin' of my wife's Mazdaspeed 3. I'll be upgrading the high pressure fuel pump internals, so I can toss on the new downpipe AND move from the Stage 1 map to the stage 3!!!!! WOOOOOOHOOOOOOO!!! Can you say, "More POWWWWWWAH?!?!?!?!" :blush: :o}:| :laugh:

If I don't hear from you before then, I hope everyone enjoys a VERRY MERRY CHRISTMAS and a HAPPY NEW YEAR with your family and your friends!!!!! 'Tis the season, my good friends!!!

Marcus

One Half of the Hydrodynamic Duo :cool:

Archived