Looking for info on PreSale survey in Clearwater

rasteve

Hi. I plan to be selling a 17’ Hewes in the near future. I purchased a few months ago but have realized while I love the boat I need a larger/different hull to get me where I want to fish

This was my first boat and while I know of no issues other than cosmetic I want to have confidence that I know exactly what I am selling. Odds are the buyer will be more savvy than I am when it comes to checking things out  

For this reason I am considering getting a survey done on my boat. This way I can share the results with potential buyers or use the info to fix any issues I am made aware of before putting up for sale

Anyone have a marine surveyor they would recommend in Clearwater Fl?

Any idea on price for a basic pre sale survey?

thanks!

Check your boat out yourself. Repair what is needed if anything and make it look good as possible. Do not spend the money on a survey. Make the survey part of the offer agreement as same as sea trial Buyer pays the cost of survey if wanted. Anything found wrong then can be repaired by you or negotiated in the price. Showing a survey you had done is more or less  useless to a buyer because you can swing it in your favor. Same when you become the buyer, get your own survey done and sea trial it. Offer price is based on what the buyer can see for himself like cosmetics and not to be negotiated after the fact on agreed price. I was a yacht broker sales mgr for ten years. Glws, fin 😀

• Like 3

1 hour ago, fin-addict said:

Check your boat out yourself. Repair what is needed if anything and make it look good as possible. Do not spend the money on a survey. Make the survey part of the offer agreement as same as sea trial Buyer pays the cost of survey if wanted. Anything found wrong then can be repaired by you or negotiated in the price. Showing a survey you had done is more or less  useless to a buyer because you can swing it in your favor. Same when you become the buyer, get your own survey done and sea trial it. Offer price is based on what the buyer can see for himself like cosmetics and not to be negotiated after the fact on agreed price. I was a yacht broker sales mgr for ten years. Glws, fin 😀

Agreed with above. I would be very skeptical of a survey done by the seller. Did the seller have this done because he thought there was an issue, or is there an issue and this survey is not accurate. Save your money on the survey and invest in clean up.

• Like 2

To be clear - if you want the survey so you can feel confident that you are selling something that is fully disclosed, then feel free to do it, and good on you for being willing to do so.   The advice above is really about the fact that your buyer will likely still want their own so that they know it is objective.    

Keep in mind, it's a used boat.  Within reason, this is always a "buyer beware" transaction - old boats are . . . old.   You must disclose what you know to be an issue, and you shouldn't be "willfully blind" to lurking issues you suspect, but beyond that, it is up to the buyer to do his own due diligence.  

At least, that's how I've always felt as a buyer.   And hey, look at my situation!   :)

Have you had problems with the boat or feel there may be problems. I commend you for being so up front on a buyers behalf. As stated, put that money into things to clean it up so it looks the best it can. It is the buyers responsibility to have her checked out. JMO. 😀fin

if you know of any problems, disclose them to a buyer and adjust the price accordingly.