16 hewes / 90 yamaha prop choice ??

HoneyB

Thoughts welcome on 16 Redfisher with 90 two stroke as to prop selection. I am just wondering what you guys are running or have run in the past. I ran this boat last weekend and I was pretty disappointed with the prop the previous owner chose. The prop is a 15 pitch 4 blade but there is no power coming out of the hole. Once it winds up the rpm’s climb and the motor is very responsive mid range . Having run a 70 yamaha for years with a three blade prop I am pretty sure 90 would wake up on the bottom end with my old 3 blade.  I have seen many post that said the two stroke 90 was the bees knees for this boat. I am sure it will preform better with the correct prop. I did contact the previous owner who did say it was always slow out of the hole so I do not think it is the engine. 

Maybe send your prop out and get it ported so it will accept the mercury plugs. That way you can dial in the RPM range with different plug sizes.

Or I found this about a 1998 Bayfisher w/90 HP...….. have a 90 2 stroke and a 13x15 turbo 3 blade prop and the other day while testing with dale it did 39.5mph at 5800rpm. thats pretty typical, though it will occasionally go 40.5 at 6000 rpm. holeshot is fantastic (as dale found out ;) ) considering its a 3 blade. grip is decent with regular trim but really trimmed out it is only good for straight line basically, any steering input causes it to blow out.

• Like 1

I haven't tried one yet, but have heard some good numbers from a reliable source.  They are inexpensive, in stock, and returnable.  Going on what Lurem posted, I would guess this one would be a good size to try: https://www.ebay.com/itm/Apollo-Stainless-Steel-Propeller-For-Yamaha-50-130HP-13-3-8-x-15-993143/163487435226?epid=728943800&hash=item26109c49da:g:H3YAAOSwPhdU~HxD

You'll need a hub kit as well, unless you have a Merc Flo-Torq hub kit already - they are compatible.

Just something I might try.  If you don't scratch it, you can send it back if it fails the test.  If you decide to try it, please post the results.  🙂

Thanks for the reply's. I really think that I have a prop at home that will wake this motor up on the hole shot. I know 4 blades are supposed to do that but this  4 blade 15 pitch is just not spooling up. My previous 3 cylinder two stroke was a 70 hp mounted on a 15 whaler. that old 70 Yamaha would launch that little boat out of the water. I was very surprised the way this 90 felt like it had to climb a hill with the four blade. I might get to do another test run this weekend with the three blade to compare. other notable rides to compare was a 17 key west with a 88 Johnson. That boat also was not slow to plane with some old regular stainless prop. I have owned more small boats, no need to list them all, Just to say I know this hull can do better with 90 ponies pushing her.  

• 6 months later...

I have your motor on a 17ft Montauk Whaler and it jumps out when you hit the throttle.  It  will run 40MPH at 5500 rpms.  I am sure the montauuk is heavier than the redfisher.  The motor isn't the issue,I'm sure you are on the right track to get the prop right.  That Yamaha engine is loved by everyone who has one. 

35 minutes ago, polliwog said:

I have your motor on a 17ft Montauk Whaler and it jumps out when you hit the throttle.  It  will run 40MPH at 5500 rpms.  I am sure the montauuk is heavier than the redfisher.  The motor isn't the issue,I'm sure you are on the right track to get the prop right.  That Yamaha engine is loved by everyone who has one. 

Well you made me google that. I was betting the 16 Hewes weighed much more than the whaler. Google results classic Montauk 1400 lb. hull and the 16 Redfisher at 1700. But yes I agree getting the prop down to where the motor can spool up and it will be just fine. 

HoneyB , I just went on the Whaler site and looked their specs for the 17 FT Montauk and they say it weighs exactly what your Redfisher weighs 1700Lbs with out engine.  I never looked it up so it's news to me as well. Good luck with your choice of power.