How Many Have?

RipTide

Purchased So-Called 304 SS fasteners from anywhere which is supplied by Fastenal?

Well, hate to tell ya but it's not true 304 as I have had to replace "ALL" the screws, fasteners, etc. on my LT20 since completing the rebuild "3" times.

WM, place of purchase, claims the 8-18 is the same as 304 yet in reality these particular fasteners are being made more than likely in china with inferior metals which are rusting within 3 months.

Have nothing against WM or any other retailer being supplied by distributor, just wanted to warn everybody what's going on with the quality of the 8-18 fasteners.

I have only put a total of 107 hours on the LT since completion, thoroughly rinsed down after every trip out and pressured washed every other trip out.

Soap is the only thing which has been used on the boat and these dang screws, fasteners, etc. rust out so fast it's unbelievable and sickening.

Not to mention what it does to the gel coat.

Had enough so I ordered "ALL" new screws and fasteners in 316 SS from Marsh Fasteners in Jupiter, Fl.

The order was delivered within 36 hours after I placed it and they are very reasonably priced.

Cheaper than anywhere locally.

http://www.marshfasteners.com/

I DO have something against West Marine for this very reason. I understand all business must maintain margins to survive but considering the prices they charge, there should be at the very minimum, people working there with some fairly extensive knowledge, which I have found there usually isn't.

I find lately, it's kinda like Lowe's or HD, just because the dudes in plumbing doesn't mean he's ever plumbed anything in his life, let alone explain to you how to do it or what is required.

Check this out, great link about SS

http://www.bosunsupplies.com/StainlessInfo2/

If a magnet sticks to them, return them.

They are not true 316 SS.

Jason's link is dead on about the composition of elements within the listed metals.

I ended up using bronze fittings when replacing mine.

They will last longer than you'll end up owning the boat.

On a side note, heat breaks down adhesives to the point it makes it easier to remove the component.

I deal with SS alot at work. I can tell you that the Chinese and Indian SS is nowhere close to what the SS made in the USA is. I've seen the two installed in similar environments, foreign SS you may get 4 mths before it rusts, US will take decades. Get what ya pay for, except at WM.

Two things; 1. most all stainless is made in China and is an inferior product. It may be shipped to the USA to be molded into different products, but the raw material still comes from China. Additionally, when installing anything stainless, especially stainless screws, don't use a traditional steel bit or steel tools. Use Beryllium coated tools. Standard steel tools transfer minute particles of steel to the stainless and will greatly contribute to the process of oxidation/rust.

2. Don't use 5200 if you even think that you may want to dis***emble the parts in the future. There are other products that will seal a thru-hull just a well and can be removed. I use "Boat-Life" sealant. It seals, adheres, can be applied under water, is paintable and can be removed. The tube will not set-up after opening and can be reused for years. Just saying!!!

Riptide, could you please let me know where you got your bronze thru hulls? I can't seem to find the length I need (threaded portion), transom is 2 1/8 thick.

I have to ask.

Why are you installing Thru Hull water pick up fittings in your transom?

Every one I have ever seen were installed in the bottom of the hull, am I missing something here???

LT's don't have those as they are self bailing to the sides.

I may be wrong but believe you will have to replace with originals or of the like.

I originally thought you were talking about your water pick up fittings so advised under that impression.

If they are threaded fittings "Make Sure" you order the correct threaded fitting.

Reel loco once explained in depth about the different types of threading as he use to be a pipe fitter before retiring.

TH Marine & Jamestown Distributors has a large selection of fittings just to name a couple off my head.

Anybody, Anybody????

Archived